RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > OBD Portector
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Wyn Mills

United Kingdom 
OBD Portector

As a 2016 HSE RRS owner I've been reading up on the theft threat posed by the OBD vulnerability and was wondering if it made sense to go for something like the Portector. The car has a tracker, but that doesn't make it harder to nick in the first place. I read the newer RRS diagnostic system has been upgraded so that only 2 keys can ever be programmed at any one time, but no-one can confirm this with me.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this they'd be happy to share?

Cheers
Wyn

Post #527535 Sat Jun 03 2017 6:20pm
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

That was my understanding, any more than two the system licks and the whole unit needs changing Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #527536 Sat Jun 03 2017 6:39pm
Wyn Mills

United Kingdom 

Thanks Warkman. Would make sense. The problems been around for a while so it would be simple negligence on LR's part if the car still had the vulnerability. I'm guessing they never wanted to admit to it in the first place which is why there's precious little definitive info on what its advisable to do to stop your car from disappearing. Cheers
Wyn Mills

Range Rover Sport 3.0 SDV6 (306) 2016
Colour: Corris Grey

Post #527546 Sat Jun 03 2017 10:24pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It won't help with the insurance premiums but if you have keyless entry NEVER use the fob to lock/unlock the car. It has a very long range (despite what LR claims is only 1m from the car, I can work mine from 30-40m away in a carpark). Keep the fob in your pocket/handbag/briefcase and it will only be recognised within 1m of the car (if there are other keys/ a mobile phone or coins in the same pocket it is even less) and touch the dimples on the door handles. If your RRS is post 2016MY and has the gesture tailgate you don't even need the fob to open that but on pre 2016 cars unfortunately you still need to press the fob button to open the boot, but you don't need to remove the fob from a pocket to do it though. You can still activ]ation the double locking using the dimples, just give the 2nd tap of the dimple within 15 secs. I have noticed on my present RRS that if I single lock the car the mirrors will fold and the indicators flash, if I quickly do the second tap the mirrors fold in a tiny bit further too. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #527556 Sun Jun 04 2017 9:21am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kmpowell

Re: OBD Portector

Wyn Mills wrote:
As a 2016 HSE RRS owner I've been reading up on the theft threat posed by the OBD vulnerability and was wondering if it made sense to go for something like the Portector. The car has a tracker, but that doesn't make it harder to nick in the first place. I read the newer RRS diagnostic system has been upgraded so that only 2 keys can ever be programmed at any one time, but no-one can confirm this with me.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this they'd be happy to share?

Cheers
Wyn

Bit of a detailed post this, but bear with me because it's important.

I looked into your question significantly before buying mine. Yes, apparently only 2 keys can now be used if the car has had the update, which stops OBD port key cloning, but I take no chances and always use a Disklok as well.

HOWEVER, there is still BIG problem that affects all keyless entry cars and it's getting worse...

Thieves now use an amplifier and receiver. One thief stands by the car with the receiver, the second thief walks around your house using an amplifier which grabs the signal being emitted from your key and passes it to the first thief's receiver. The receiver stores the signal and tricks the car to thinking the key is in the car. The car opens and can be driven away.

Press article with full video of the crime here: http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/29/thieves-coul...r-6605444/ Plus many more if you search.

The device is fully demonstrated in a video shown on NBC. They used it slightly differently, but its the same device: https://www.youtube.com/embed/nozGBpdBzog

The result: keeping your fob in your pocket or in the house is now useless!

It's why I bought one of these... http://amzn.to/2ssRNrC which my keys now live in. It totally blocks the key's signal, and with the keys in the pouch even when I'm stood directly next to my RRS it can't be opened.

HTH SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #527596 Sun Jun 04 2017 4:57pm
Wyn Mills

United Kingdom 

Wow...I'm still trying to digest this! So short of keeping your fob in a metal box or somewhere far enough away from your car to be out of range, you're vulnerable?? Rolling Eyes Cheers
Wyn Mills

Post #527620 Sun Jun 04 2017 11:56pm
Wyn Mills

United Kingdom 

I've ordered a protective pouch like the one suggested. Many many thanks. I wonder how many, like me, are completely oblivious to this. Cheers
Wyn Mills

Post #527623 Mon Jun 05 2017 12:28am
kmpowell

No worries, glad I could help. As said, the pouch I linked to above blocks all signal to/from the keys, even when sat in the car.

An example of an M4 very nearly going walkies a couple of weeks ago via the same method...

SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #527631 Mon Jun 05 2017 9:16am
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Wyn Mills wrote:
I've ordered a protective pouch like the one suggested. Many many thanks. I wonder how many, like me, are completely oblivious to this.

Ive also ordered one even though I have a cat 5 tracker fitted.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White