Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
AA calls for dashcam clampdown

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39999009

Quote:
New rules may be needed to control the use of video taken by dashboard cameras, the AA has warned.

Motorists who persistently share dashcam video could be accused of voyeurism, according to the motoring organisation.

It said too many drivers post videos on social media without considering the impact on the motorists shown.

In many cases drivers are pilloried for actions that are not their fault, the AA said.

As many as 15% of British motorists now use a dashcam, according to a poll of AA members, with one in a hundred planning to share their footage on social media like YouTube.

What is more worrying is the outlawing of dashcam in some countries - this plays into the hands of scumbags Shocked

Quote:
The motoring organisation said it was not in favour of banning dashcam use, but said the next government should consider tighter rules, like those in force in other European countries:

In Luxembourg, dashcam use is prohibited

In Germany and Austria their use is "highly discouraged"

In Portugal and Belgium users need the other person's permission to share video online

In Italy, number plates are private, and must be blurred in footage

Daughters boyfriend was sat in a queue last week when his foot slipped off the brake and he touched the car in front - there was no marks on his bumper but guy in front said the rusty vertical mark (looked like old damage from reversing into a post) was caused by him and wanted his insurance details - 24 hours later he claimed his wife and child have been hurt and launched injury claim - lad doesn't have a dashcam but wishes he had now Evil or Very Mad

Youngest son passed his test last month and insurance quotes coming in at £1500 with black box/£2000 without for a 2009 Punto worth £1500 - other son and daughter paid £6-700 for same car after they passed their tests 4 and 2 years ago when it was newer - he will also need a dashcam Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #526534 Mon May 22 2017 3:15pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I think the idea that people sharing dash cam videos should blur the number plates is a good idea. If you think that an offence has been committed send the unedited video to the Police, don't just share it with a headline of "look what this to$$er did today!".

I don't think dash cams should be banned, they provide a useful line of defence against the "make an injury claim" and the "crash for cash" brigades. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #526547 Mon May 22 2017 5:07pm

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I wouldn't be without a dash cam now, last year I saw a cyclist come off his bike down a country lane so I stopped to help, called 999 arranged an ambulance all as a Good Samaritan, 1 week later I get a call that he is trying to claim off my insurance. Too many ambulance chasing solicitors and scum bags out there trying to make a claim

Post #526556 Mon May 22 2017 7:22pm
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

The AA is no longer a body for motorists, they act like an arm of the government these days and anti motorists in some ways Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #526570 Mon May 22 2017 8:59pm
GodivaNige

England 

They have a point though when it comes to sharing footage on social media. Tell tale snitching on a grand scale.
'Look at what someone did to me today' now go ahead and comment in my favour while I bask in self pity... it's pathetic!

Thumbs Up

Post #526575 Mon May 22 2017 9:11pm
BKHK

Australia 

Being a bit of a hoon (acceleration only), I hate the self righteous dash cams and the feeling of superiority that they seem to give the dils that have them. Evil or Very Mad

Post #526595 Tue May 23 2017 11:51am
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

following an incident that my son was involved in a couple of years ago, i went out and bought dashcams for all the family's cars. I wouldn't drive without it. and i have posted videos on facebook of dangerous driving incidents.

can you post videos here? Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #526596 Tue May 23 2017 12:03pm
SRE

Spain 

Hi Muddy
Interesting, but sadly loosing faith in the AA. THe only issue I have is, can the Police grab your camera and use the evidence against you, double edge sword?

I was going to post that this could have some form of impact on BC and his moderator mate on here, (no names obviously) what with their dogging plans etc, but then thought it a tad risqué. In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #526601 Tue May 23 2017 12:54pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

the police can only use it against you if you were doing something illegal/dangerous yourself (and if you "remembered" to turn it on). Merc C220 estate Sport AMG
Merc C220 estate Sport AMG 125 year edition
Alfa GT
Rover 76 V6

Post #526603 Tue May 23 2017 12:58pm
Slim444

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I for one, will be keeping my dash cam, and continue posting videos of dangerous morons running red lights, talking on mobile phones, parking on double yellows etc etc. Why are people so opposed to shopping the idiots that could harm or kill members of their own family, as well as the antisocial aspect?

Something I did find out is that the police will only prosecute if they have a picture of the driver. 4 camera setup, anyone? You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come callin'

Post #531585 Sat Jul 29 2017 10:35am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If they ban dash cams then what is to stop you running the camera built into a mobile phone on a screen mount? I have never been a supporter of them, as well as highlighting idiots on the road they also record your own small speeding and bad driving incidents and can incriminate the car owner. However................ 2 weeks ago I wished I had had one in my Defender when white van man didn't even stop at the stop sign where a minor back road joined a main trunk road. I had been able to see his van over the hedgerows and though "oh oh he's doesn't appear to be slowing down to stop at the junction" so I slowed up (not too easy in an old Defender with no ABS and Mud Terrain Tyres but I managed not to lock any wheels up). The tail of the van missed the front of the 90 by about 3 feet, I had been sounding my horn a lot but he didn't notice so I accelerated away and overtook him and pulled up alongside him - the driver was doing something on a laptop on the top of his dash............. not even talking on his phone so I set my hazards on and stopped and when I got to the drivers door he was shaking, he just had not seen me.................... I think versus a Defender his newish Transit van may have come off worst but he was very upset, especially when I mentioned that I was going back to town to the police HQ with the footage from my (non existent!) dash cam. He pleaded for me not to as he already had points for dangerous driving............
Maybe car makers who fit surround cams/ road sign and lane monitoring cams should offer OEM built in dash cam facilities using the HDD built into the car. Won't help people like me who drive 20 year old plus vehicles but look how successful the Aviva smartphone app has been at reducing accidents and incidents with inexperienced drivers trying to get insurance premiums down. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #531591 Sat Jul 29 2017 11:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Dash cams are a brilliant idea that can help you no end in the event of a collision.
The problem is the "look at me" media attitude of keyboard warriors on Facebook etc. Frankly who cares where you go for lunch and what coffee you drink, and posting dozy drivers on You tube is in a similar vein. Genuine instances of dangerous driving is IMHO another matter, and properly should be reported to the Police (it's up to them what they do with it but you've done your bit).

Post #531601 Sat Jul 29 2017 12:30pm
Beancounter_74

England 

SRE wrote:
Hi Muddy
Interesting, but sadly loosing faith in the AA. THe only issue I have is, can the Police grab your camera and use the evidence against you, double edge sword?

I was going to post that this could have some form of impact on BC and his moderator mate on here, (no names obviously) what with their dogging plans etc, but then thought it a tad risqué.

You really are missing me!!! Rolling with laughter

Anyway, Ady tells me these dash cams are easy to turn off when he is out surveying car parks in woodland areas Shocked ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #531749 Mon Jul 31 2017 11:16am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Rolling with laughter

This is why I hang around here still - other forums just don't have the same level of fun Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #531758 Mon Jul 31 2017 12:38pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

360 wrote:
Too many ambulance chasing solicitors and scum bags out there trying to make a claim

Slightly going off topic, but this really gets on my goat. It's about time something was done about the claim culture we have.
My secretary has a company car, last year she was involved in a collision. Totally her fault, but she claimed the person she pulled out in front of was traveling well over the speed limit. She pulled out of a side road, and the guy coming along the main road from the right clipped her bumper and sent him into the kerb. Her car cost me £120 to repair the bumper, and his £1k 15 year old BMW was written off (bust track rod and a dent on the wing)
We got our renewal in, and it was a wee bit dearer than the previous year, but they mentioned the outstanding claim against us. £11.5k was paid out to the passenger, and SIXTY THOUSAND POUNDS was paid to the driver. He claimed he got night sweats and couldn't drive any distance without freaking out. How do you disprove that??

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #531887 Tue Aug 01 2017 10:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>