Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Advice on a new RRS order
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

econ

United Kingdom 
Advice on a new RRS order

Hi guys,

I'm finally nearly ready to make an order on a new RRS 3.0 diesel.

I have a few questions and in particular need help with some specifications and whether they're worth the money or just overpriced gimics etc; perhaps you wise folk could give me some advice on them.

Really appreciate any help guys... Embarassed

1) Should I be going for the HSE or the HSE Dynamic? I would mostly be using the car for driving in London and the occasional trips out of London every few weekends. I do around 6000 miles per year or so. I don't imagine I would use the "dynamic" capabilities much but I do like the black writing on the "RANGE ROVER" etc. What else would I be missing out on? Is there a way to get the black writing on the HSE?

2) Should I be waiting for a couple of months before ordering? i.e. waiting out until MY18 model, since it's already May and I'd be buying new?

3) What's your advice on the following specs, are they worth the money, or are they just overpriced gimics?

Infrared reflective windscreen (+£465)
Fixed panoramic roof vs Full-size sliding panoramic roof (+£520 for full size)
Remote Park Heat with Timed Climate (+£1035)
Park Assist – Parallel Park, Parking Exit and Perpendicular Park (+£900)
20-way electric front seats with memory and massage (+£1350)
Head-up Display (+£1035)
MeridianTM Surround Sound System (+£1035)
Drive Pack (+£800) or Drive Pro Pack (+£2500) or neither?
Adaptive headlamps and automatic high beam assist (+£475)
Red calipers (+£345)
Extra-Large Additional Washer Bottle (+£35)

Post #525130 Wed May 03 2017 8:51am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

1st, you are using the car in London mostly, why a diesel as you will get DPF clogging problems? The 3.0S/C Petrol would be a better proposition and fuel consumption will be about the same in city driving. Dynamic/non-Dynamic - personal preference really and as you say you won't be using the Dynamic Mode much that I assume means that you won't be going off road a lot either, so not much advantage in having the Dynamic mode.

New model - is it coming or not - the usual spec change comes in August/September so you could wait but will it be worth the inevitable price hike too.................

Optional - forget most of them as you intend to drive in the SE of England - the upgrade audio is worth it as the standard isn't great, but new cars get In Cotrol Pro options so you can use online broadcasting. Timed park heat/Climate Control - Do you leave the car parked on the street/ outside all the time? If so go for it but I would save a fortune by not sepccing it and having the heated steering wheel instead as combined with the seat heaters you will not need Park Heat. I used to have adaptive headlights on previous cars, I miss the cornering lights from them but my current car has the standard issue BiXenons and they are plenty good enough for the country roads I drive all the time.

Head-up display - those that have it say it is great, but do you NEED it? It will be worth nothing when the car is sold on and it is expensive (and requires the UV protected windscreen).

Park Assist - had it on my last 3 cars - I think after one use I never used it again............. although the approaching traffic function when reversing out of a perpendicular bay was very useful.

Fixed v Opening pano Roof - some say the opening one is very noisy when opened but if you are only travelling at walking pace in London that won't be a problem! I have the fixed one and the climate control copes very well with the heat inside the car of a sunny day. I would forget the opening roof unless you really like sitting in polluted air in a traffic jam.

Red Calipers - there are numerous posts here about the colour coming off them - if they are no cost options then have them, I wouldn't pay extra for them though due to all the hassles there have been

Black letters - easy to replace the letters with black one bought from the numerous suppliers on eBay, cheaper than buying a pack just to get them!

Massaging Seats ............. maybe all that time spent in London traffic will make them useful, could never see the point of them myself as the seats in RRS are very comfortable - they are also something you will never recover the cost of when you sell the car.

I bought an RRS HSE Dynamic that was already to go into build 2 days later and the dealer had specced it with options that would recover their cost - 22" wheels, privacy glass and Pano roof. The dealership is in North London, I live in Central Scotland - I would only have added the heated steering wheel to the spec if I had been ordering it, might have removed the 22" wheels but having now covered 15000 miles on them I cannot tell from the ride or offroad performance (I do go off road in my RRS) that the ride or handling is any worse than on 20" wheels. I hate the standard issue HSE wheel design anyway so would have changed the pattern if I had been the one ordering! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #525133 Wed May 03 2017 9:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
econ

United Kingdom 

Thanks a lot mate - very comprehensive. Just on the diesel vs petrol - I've been driving a audi a5 diesel for 7 years and I'm keen to switch back to petrol! However I understood that the 3.0 petrol RRS has much more depreciation than the diesel and isn't that dissimilar in how it drives? Is this true, and if so, to what extent?

Post #525134 Wed May 03 2017 9:22am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

1) It is not worth getting a Dynamic just for the black lettering. Personally I really like dynamic mode. I use it on twisty roads, mountain driving becomes good fun, also on high speed motorway journeys because it makes the steering heavier and I feel more in control. You won't feel any difference while driving in London though ... apart from the ride becoming very slightly harsher on uneven surfaces when in dynamic mode. Only you can decide depending on your driving needs and style.

3)
Pano roof: If you don't see yourself opening the roof much, go for the fixed one as it is one piece glass that allows more light in compared to the sliding one that has a splitter in the middle.
Remote Climate: You also get the fuel burning heater with that option that you don't get in the 3.0 Diesel otherwise. It assists the engine in warming up quickly in very cold weather even when you haven't used remote/timed heating. Some people here say a combination of heated seats and heated steering wheel makes remote/timed climate redundant but it is worth every penny to me in cold weather and occasional very hot days.
Drive Pack: If it includes blind spot monitoring, closing vehicle sensing and reverse traffic detection then very good features that work really well.
Auto High Beam Assist; Works well but personally I could live without it. Depends on how often you drive in the dark on unlit roads that are not busy.
Red Calipers: I believe it's just cosmetic and not worth the extra but personal preference.
Additional Washer Bottle: For £35 only, go for it. Same for dual sunvisors (I know you haven't listed but still). Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #525135 Wed May 03 2017 9:23am
RRSman

United Kingdom 
Re: Advice on a new RRS order

econ wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm finally nearly ready to make an order on a new RRS 3.0 diesel.

I have a few questions and in particular need help with some specifications and whether they're worth the money or just overpriced gimics etc; perhaps you wise folk could give me some advice on them.

Really appreciate any help guys... Embarassed

1) Should I be going for the HSE or the HSE Dynamic? I would mostly be using the car for driving in London and the occasional trips out of London every few weekends. I do around 6000 miles per year or so. I don't imagine I would use the "dynamic" capabilities much but I do like the black writing on the "RANGE ROVER" etc. What else would I be missing out on? Is there a way to get the black writing on the HSE?

2) Should I be waiting for a couple of months before ordering? i.e. waiting out until MY18 model, since it's already May and I'd be buying new?

3) What's your advice on the following specs, are they worth the money, or are they just overpriced gimics?

Infrared reflective windscreen (+£465)
Fixed panoramic roof vs Full-size sliding panoramic roof (+£520 for full size)
Remote Park Heat with Timed Climate (+£1035)
Park Assist – Parallel Park, Parking Exit and Perpendicular Park (+£900)
20-way electric front seats with memory and massage (+£1350)
Head-up Display (+£1035)
MeridianTM Surround Sound System (+£1035)
Drive Pack (+£800) or Drive Pro Pack (+£2500) or neither?
Adaptive headlamps and automatic high beam assist (+£475)
Red calipers (+£345)
Extra-Large Additional Washer Bottle (+£35)

Welcome to the forum Smile

1) If you are financing the car on PCP the higher spec car you get the cheaper it is! So you could actually get an autobiography cheaper than a HSE Dynamic as the retained values are higher you pay less per month.

2) I would wait and not order now - the MY18 updates are supposedly substantial.

3)
Infrared Windscreen is needed if you want a head up display - not sure what use it is in the UK though as it never gets so hot here?
Pano roof fixed or not are great as let a lot of light in to the cabin - get it!
Remote park - not sure of the use of this anymore as the in control app lets you start up the car and warm it up anyway! And that is free for three years.
Park Assist - pretty useless on a courtesy car I had - never used it
20 way seats with massage - not really worth it unless standard on the AB I would not pay for this
HUD - not my cup of tea although many love it I turn it off on the cars that have had it!
Meridian sound - yes deffo a great upgrade if you like your music
Drive Pack and Drive Pro Pack - are all standard on an AB - would not bother otherwise as had an HSE and never missed any og this
Adaptive Headlights - not something I would pay for the standard lights are great
Red Calipers - lots of peeling issues but look good
Extra Large Washer Bottle - worth every penny!

HTH Thumbs Up

Post #525136 Wed May 03 2017 9:27am
econ

United Kingdom 

RRSMan wrote:

Welcome to the forum

1) If you are financing the car on PCP the higher spec car you get the cheaper it is! So you could actually get an autobiography cheaper than a HSE Dynamic as the retained values are higher you pay less per month.

Thanks. Could you elaborate on this? I don't quite get how it'd work out cheaper

Post #525140 Wed May 03 2017 10:46am
econ

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
1st, you are using the car in London mostly, why a diesel as you will get DPF clogging problems? The 3.0S/C Petrol would be a better proposition and fuel consumption will be about the same in city driving. Dynamic/non-Dynamic - personal preference really and as you say you won't be using the Dynamic Mode much that I assume means that you won't be going off road a lot either, so not much advantage in having the Dynamic mode.

New model - is it coming or not - the usual spec change comes in August/September so you could wait but will it be worth the inevitable price hike too.................

Optional - forget most of them as you intend to drive in the SE of England - the upgrade audio is worth it as the standard isn't great, but new cars get In Cotrol Pro options so you can use online broadcasting. Timed park heat/Climate Control - Do you leave the car parked on the street/ outside all the time? If so go for it but I would save a fortune by not sepccing it and having the heated steering wheel instead as combined with the seat heaters you will not need Park Heat. I used to have adaptive headlights on previous cars, I miss the cornering lights from them but my current car has the standard issue BiXenons and they are plenty good enough for the country roads I drive all the time.

Head-up display - those that have it say it is great, but do you NEED it? It will be worth nothing when the car is sold on and it is expensive (and requires the UV protected windscreen).

Park Assist - had it on my last 3 cars - I think after one use I never used it again............. although the approaching traffic function when reversing out of a perpendicular bay was very useful.

Fixed v Opening pano Roof - some say the opening one is very noisy when opened but if you are only travelling at walking pace in London that won't be a problem! I have the fixed one and the climate control copes very well with the heat inside the car of a sunny day. I would forget the opening roof unless you really like sitting in polluted air in a traffic jam.

Red Calipers - there are numerous posts here about the colour coming off them - if they are no cost options then have them, I wouldn't pay extra for them though due to all the hassles there have been

Black letters - easy to replace the letters with black one bought from the numerous suppliers on eBay, cheaper than buying a pack just to get them!

Massaging Seats ............. maybe all that time spent in London traffic will make them useful, could never see the point of them myself as the seats in RRS are very comfortable - they are also something you will never recover the cost of when you sell the car.

I bought an RRS HSE Dynamic that was already to go into build 2 days later and the dealer had specced it with options that would recover their cost - 22" wheels, privacy glass and Pano roof. The dealership is in North London, I live in Central Scotland - I would only have added the heated steering wheel to the spec if I had been ordering it, might have removed the 22" wheels but having now covered 15000 miles on them I cannot tell from the ride or offroad performance (I do go off road in my RRS) that the ride or handling is any worse than on 20" wheels. I hate the standard issue HSE wheel design anyway so would have changed the pattern if I had been the one ordering!

Sorry mate - forgot to quote you - see my response/question on diesel vs petrol above

Post #525143 Wed May 03 2017 10:55am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

If you are financing a car using PCP and are not intending to keep the car i.e to pay it off after year 2, 3, 4 or 5 (depending on the length of finance you take) then your monthly payments will actually be lower on a higher specification car i.e the autobiography.

Ask your dealer for a PCP quote on your chosen HSE Dynamic spec and then ask him for a PCP quote for an AB - you will be pleasantly surprised with what they come back with. There is also a bigger finance contribution on the AB (discount) than the HSE and HSE Dynamic so your monthly payments will actually be lower on a higher spec car. You are getting a £3k finance contribution on the AB, £1500 on the HSE and £2000 on the HSE Dynamic.

The AB has a higher GFV (retained value after the finance ends or the gross final value) so you pay less over the term as the lower spec models have a lower GFV as they depreciate more.

If you are buying the car outright and plan to keep it and run it in to the ground then ignore everything I said above as it won't be applicable for you.

The only thing I would do if you are buying outright is to take the finance - get the deposit contribution and then pay off within 14 days in full without penalty - this way you get a nice discount too Wink

Hope this makes sense.... Thumbs Up

Post #525145 Wed May 03 2017 10:57am
Beancounter_74

England 

It's often the case across a number of brands, due to the higher end models holding their value better over the loan period.
The differential between the purchase price and the GFMV is smaller, even though the absolute numbers are higher. The result is your PCP payments are less as you are paying back.

There is sometimes a game to play with options too on PCP calculations, some options will add no end value, others will and can work out very cheap to add and be cheaper than the option itself, its usually the more desirable options that you ill see dealers commonly spec. ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #525146 Wed May 03 2017 11:00am
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

The SC HSE Dynamic is a bit of an short sale - the *** text on the website is true - You DO NOT get the dynamic mode nor the brembo red callipers - the residuals being offered right now are very good, but getting it insured is an issue - (But A-Plan) sorted it, i have the pano sliding roof, HUD (the wife loves it despite moaning when I ordered it), the remote control app (which comes with 1 fob too) - i dont have the massage seats, but i do have cooling. The black writing and the "bits" looks awesome

Click image to enlarge
 GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #525148 Wed May 03 2017 11:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
econ

United Kingdom 

wokkaman wrote:

The SC HSE Dynamic is a bit of an short sale - the *** text on the website is true - You DO NOT get the dynamic mode nor the brembo red callipers - the residuals being offered right now are very good, but getting it insured is an issue - (But A-Plan) sorted it,.

Hi mate.

Sorry I don't understand a few things - the HSE Dynamic doesn't include the dynamic mode by default?

And what was that about residuals being offered and getting them insured?

Post #525158 Wed May 03 2017 12:43pm
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

The SC (Supercharged 3.0) petrol does not have the Dynamic response or the brembo brakes - another member talked about residual values, the SC has good ones, but as its a new engine to the UK market not many insurance companies have it listed GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #525162 Wed May 03 2017 1:18pm
Tim in Scotland

Econ, no need to quote everyone, it takes up valuable reading space and makes replies even longer than they need be - it used to be on here that the moderators would remove quotes and post "unnecessary quote removed" but I haven't seen a moderator on here in ages! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #525164 Wed May 03 2017 1:37pm
econ

United Kingdom 

Okay sure - so Tim, I was under the impression that the 3.0 petrol RRS has much more depreciation than the diesel and isn't that dissimilar in how it drives? Is this true, and if so, to what extent?

Post #525167 Wed May 03 2017 1:50pm
Tim in Scotland

The 3.0 petrol is very rare, so far only Wokkaman on the forum has one but it is only a week old so he's the man to ask! I haven't owned a petrol engined Land Rover since 1999 when I swapped in a V8 EFi Discovery 1 for a TD5 Discovery 2, I have only had diesels since but now that my annual mileage is less than 10k I have been considering going to a petrol or an electric car for my next one. Where I live out in the sticks buying a petrol SUV is mad as everyone wants a diesel, but in town I don't see the point as diesels are not at their best in stop start motoring and often do such short journeys that they don't warm up properly. For your annual mileage you could even look at a low miles used 5.0S/C as the town consumption will be no worse than the 3.0ltr or the SDv6 Diesel, but when you want to let rip, my god it is some machine. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #525169 Wed May 03 2017 2:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>