RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > DIY Oil Change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

matsoutback

Australia 
DIY Oil Change

As the subject line suggests, I want to do intermediate (around 7000km) oil changes on my new RRSport SDV6. I have always done this to all my vehicles and have a well equipped workshop I use for my hobby car etc...

I have opened the bonnet (LOL) and saw what looks like a metal tube with a bayonet fitted cap. I want to buy a vacuum oil extraction tool, either manual or pneumatic and was wondering if this tube is where you attach the vacuum line for the oil change.

Any other hints would be really appreciated for this simple exercise. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #524512 Wed Apr 26 2017 12:28am
UK Guy

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Yep, that's the one. Get a rubber pipe which fits the top of that tube tight and connect it to your extractor (this goes to the bottom of the sump)
Note: don't try and get a pipe down this hole as it's toooo small. Just connect to the top of this metal pipe.

I'm sure you already know, but get the oil warm before sucking it out. Thumbs Up

UK Guy RRS HSE with a few extras & a
2013 RRS Autobiography

Post #524525 Wed Apr 26 2017 11:04am
matsoutback

Australia 

Thanks for that, I'm currently tracking down the oil (C1 5W30 Castrol ) as well and filter.
Definitely makes it easier with warm oil. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #524528 Wed Apr 26 2017 12:09pm
warkman

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
Re: DIY Oil Change

matsoutback wrote:
As the subject line suggests, I want to do intermediate (around 7000km) oil changes on my new RRSport SDV6. I have always done this to all my vehicles and have a well equipped workshop I use for my hobby car etc...

I have opened the bonnet (LOL) and saw what looks like a metal tube with a bayonet fitted cap. I want to buy a vacuum oil extraction tool, either manual or pneumatic and was wondering if this tube is where you attach the vacuum line for the oil change.

Any other hints would be really appreciated for this simple exercise.

Why not just get it serviced?
Also, how does your warranty hold up if you are doping DIY serving? Just bought a RRS 06 MY HSE TDV6 136,000 miles, to be a second car to my bland, boring Mitsubishi Outlander 68 plate 2.0 petrol 4

Post #524529 Wed Apr 26 2017 12:21pm
matsoutback

Australia 

Thank you for your concern. I actually enjoy it and I only do intermediate (every second at 1/2 the km of the book) services. I have a very good relationship with the dealer and they know about my home services and warranty is not effected. I believe the minimum service requirements by the book are not enough, many mechanic agree with this BTW. The cost to do a home service is around $100.00 including filter, so i'ts very cheap mechanical insurance.

I do other things too while it's on the hoist, like rotate the tyres, clean undercarriage, check for leaks and generally getting to know my car in a more in depth way.

It's a hobby I guess... 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #524583 Wed Apr 26 2017 10:25pm
IRBails

Australia 

Mat something worth a thought is change the oil but not the filter. Filters actually filter better when a little dirty and unless clogged to the extent that the relief valve opens the old one will do a better job. Still change with normal dealer service. I looked into this for the V8 but have done nothing , the dealer in my case actually drops the oil I am not sure if this is the best method for the V8. When I was looking at this there was a poster that said more oil is extracted by the vacuum method for the V6. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #524594 Wed Apr 26 2017 11:03pm
matsoutback

Australia 

Bails, I have read that about the filter working better, but I've always done both. I'll do some more research.

I'm currently having some trouble buying the oil at a reasonable price... EDIT : Found a good supplier at a reasonable price! Thumbs Up 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #524597 Thu Apr 27 2017 12:37am
matsoutback

Australia 

There's a mars bar in it for the person that can identify this part on the exhaust system.

2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #524616 Thu Apr 27 2017 9:01am
udash

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Do you know which exhaust you got from below

Non DPF System – EU4 Emission regulations.
DPF System – EU5 Emissions regulations.
DPF System with SCR System – EU6 Emission regulation

Post #524639 Thu Apr 27 2017 1:00pm
matsoutback

Australia 

SCR / DPF system. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #524697 Thu Apr 27 2017 9:10pm
IRBails

Australia 

matsoutback wrote:
There's a mars bar in it for the person that can identify this part on the exhaust system.

Love the loose hanging wires on the wold's best 4WD. There are some many things that are not well designed for off road use on this vehicle. As for what it is I have no idea. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #524708 Fri Apr 28 2017 1:39am
IRBails

Australia 
Re: DIY Oil Change

matsoutback wrote:

Any other hints would be really appreciated for this simple exercise.

Mat I was also concerned about the oil change duration but my son in law who is a diesel tech says that with he new oils heavy industry goes even longer between changes. The oil quality diagnosis if not just an algorithm should be pretty good at determining the oil quality. I cannot determine what system the RRS uses but feel with the modern oils the change interval is OK based on industry standards. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #524709 Fri Apr 28 2017 1:44am
matsoutback

Australia 

IRBails wrote:

Love the loose hanging wires on the wold's best 4WD. There are some many things that are not well designed for off road use on this vehicle. As for what it is I have no idea.

I tidied those up with a couple of cable ties yesterday. I saw them hanging down under the car weeks ago but waited to sort them out once I had it on the hoist.. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #524712 Fri Apr 28 2017 3:35am
timhum

United Kingdom 

The pipe on the left with kink in it doesn't look like anything can pass through it.
Tim

Post #524721 Fri Apr 28 2017 9:23am
matsoutback

Australia 

That's not a pipe, it's an insulated wire from a sensor. 2017 MY17 SDV6 SE

Post #524742 Fri Apr 28 2017 12:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>