RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Diesels in the news again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
Diesels in the news again!

Quote:
Beware of buying diesel vehicles, Grayling warns: Minister suggests an imminent air pollution clampdown will encourage a switch to cleaner cars

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-42...warns.html

Quote:
Motorists shun diesel cars while eco-friendly sales rise

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38880019 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #518897 Sat Feb 25 2017 12:41am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

I can't read the links (there must be large files there that my steam-driven system can't cope with) but I heard the story on the news this morning. It was the government (albeit not the present one) which encouraged the surge in diesel purchases with various incentives, including, at one time, making diesel cheaper than petrol. They will make their minds up one day as to whether we are supposed to be worried about global warming (diesel produces less CO2 than petrol) or particulates or NOx. Also, his broad-brush approach ignores the improvements made under Euro 5, Euro 6, etc.

Mind you, I have met Chris Grayling............

Post #518905 Sat Feb 25 2017 8:49am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Of course there is the cynical view................ petrol engined cars burn more petrol to cover the same distance as a diesel would.............. so consumption is greater thus tax take is higher............. so we should all buy pure EV's to really mess up the tax take, and we need to ensure we all buy cars that cost less than £40,000. Price of tobacco products went up to cover National Health costs for cancer treatment, then it went up even more because so many gave up that the tax take fell too much. It will be the same with Diesel engines - the "pollution" claims are only the excuse to increase the tax take. Now if we all bought purely electric cars the lights and kettles would all go off because we don't have enough slack in the power generation system to cover a hike in the number of EV's, there would very quickly be a prohibitive tax on EV's too! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #518915 Sat Feb 25 2017 9:50am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Same here.
They pushed for people to buy smaller and less fuel burning cars. Now some in government are saying that they will have to increase the tax on fuel as less fuel is used and the income is less.

Again, in my part of the country, few years ago they introduced a ecology bonus/malus system for the registration tax.
This year they basically removed the bonus(some saw they tax triple) because to many people bought low emission cars and the income from the tax is now too low. '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #518922 Sat Feb 25 2017 10:37am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I'm with Tim on this one. It's just one hype after another all driven by "experts" who cannot get anything right.
I think we should all go for hydrogen power from acres of solar panels on the coast producing Oxygen and Hydrogen from sea water. That London bus (the RV1 I think) has been chugging around London using hydrogen for a good few years now and emissions are just H2O! Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #518924 Sat Feb 25 2017 10:41am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

But all that water vapour is making it cloudy which increases global warming. Wink

Post #518927 Sat Feb 25 2017 10:59am
Eaters

I knew there'd be a catch!
How about if we capture all the water vapour and make it into beer? Thumbs Up

Sorry - going well off topic now so I'll stop Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #518929 Sat Feb 25 2017 11:03am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Mmmm, you may be on to something. All that beer would create urine, and we could use the urea to absorb all the NOx...... Cool

Post #518931 Sat Feb 25 2017 11:05am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

What I want know is if diesel fumes are so bad how come the cemetery's aren't full of dead mechanics ? We breath the stuff all day long... 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #518938 Sat Feb 25 2017 12:57pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The latest updates on this is it doesn't include a lot of Diesel cars, including all 3.0 SDV6 RRS from 2011 and all current models at 3.0 litre level, due to special items added and lower not outputs. These are not being included in scrappage scheme, and are not included in banned areas or charged for. It's no longer all Diesels.

The minister tonight stated, he only hopes that people choosing new vehicles will think before purchasing a Diesels, although many give out less poisonous fumes than many newer Petrol models.
The main idea is to get the much older highly polluting diesels off the road, but all major manufacturers have toted they will continue to manuafacture Diesels for as long as people ask for them, presently it's 47.3% Diesel sales registration, with less than 1% electric, Petrol accounts for 50% of new registrations, and Hybrid 1.9%. Gas conversions are not officially recorded, but I bet the tax will rocket when the Government realises how much tax they are loosing. (Yes I noticed it doesn't add up to 100% too. Very Happy ). Incidentally 2015 had more Diesels than petrol registered, so some environmentalists have changed. Wink

The whole thing is about getting more tax out of the public I believe, just as Hybrid and small engine low emission cars will now have to pay Road Tax, and not at the lower levels for many models only Electric cars used in cities will be exempt from having to pay the road tax. Check out the new rules.

Government only ever worry about getting money in, if they are worried about Diesel, stop allowing lorries and many buses in cities, that's the biggest pollution. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #518990 Sat Feb 25 2017 10:44pm
SRE

Spain 

Yes Road Tax is a burden, Just had to pay €116 for 12 months on my 3 litre Diesel in Spain Rolling with laughter Whistle Thumbs Up Guess I will have to cut back on something Whistle In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #522407 Fri Mar 31 2017 9:24am
Eaters

No more Sangria for you Very Happy Robin
Gone:
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #522445 Fri Mar 31 2017 4:59pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

SRE wrote:
Yes Road Tax is a burden, Just had to pay €116 for 12 months on my 3 litre Diesel in Spain Rolling with laughter Whistle Thumbs Up Guess I will have to cut back on something Whistle

I know what you mean just cost me 300 NZ Dollars (£170.00) for 12months on my 5.0 S/C Big Cry still petrols only a £1.00 a litre Very Happy

Cheers
Col

Post #522587 Sat Apr 01 2017 9:35pm
Welshian

Wales 

You still use pounds in NZ Laughing

Post #522590 Sat Apr 01 2017 9:46pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I do, old habits die hard Rolling with laughter and they even still put it in the tank for you here, the petrol that is. Thumbs Up

Cheers
Col

Post #522591 Sat Apr 01 2017 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>