RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > LRE West Country Trek Day dates for 2017
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

fkarim

United Kingdom 

After bribing and lot of convincing, wife and kids have finally agreed. They were bored after the first couple of hours when we did the East Devon trek. I didn't want to go all the way there without them so had to work hard Laughing

Booked for Exmoor this time. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #515271 Sat Jan 21 2017 11:16am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

A) I have to be in London at the end of April and for the first few days of May and will have to see if I can manage to stretch that trip down to Exmoor on 7th May and stay a couple of nights at my favourite classy Devon Hotel - Lewtrenchard Manor before and after. And drive south rather than letting the train take the strain.

B) Could these days out be done on 22" wheels/ road tyres with plenty of tread which I normally run long journeys on or would I be better to come south on my spare set of 19" wheels with rather worn out M+S Tyres? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #515289 Sat Jan 21 2017 1:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

A) If it helps with deciding accommodation etc. I've been told the meeting/starting point for Exmoor trek is The Rest & Be Thankful Inn car park in Wheddon Cross. Saw the region last June when we stayed there for a few days just before the East Devon trek day so this time it will be just the trek day. Planning to leave London on the evening of 11th March, stay overnight somewhere on the way, preferably close to the meeting point, do the trek on 12th March and drive back home the same evening.

B) Buckster and RRSTDV8 can answer that better but I would think you'd be OK with 22". I did East Devon with my 21" without any problems. I have been informed Exmoor is more challenging than East Devon but not much. However, if you already have 19" wheels I would say this is what you bought them for so use them! If you want to drive down from Scotland on "performance" wheels and space isn't an issue, perhaps bring the 19s in the boot and get them swapped over at a tyre place somewhere nearby. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #515295 Sat Jan 21 2017 1:52pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If I remember correctly it was fairly stoney with lots of loose stuff on our route that may damage a 22. If you love the 22s and want to keep them looking mint I would put your other rims on Tim if it were me. I dont think you would have any grip issues with worn M&S tyres as the Land Rover T/R is so good it would still take it all in its stride Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #515307 Sat Jan 21 2017 4:01pm
Tim in Scotland

I've never tried the 19's on this car and have taken it off-road on loose gravelly surfaces on the 22's up here in Scotland, was more concerned that it may be muddy which might turn the 22's into slicks quite quickly, rims are lightly scuffed already so a few more scratches will add some more "character" - they are supposed to be able to take a bit of rough track driving! Just remembered I have a brand new set of M+S tyres on SVR 21" wheels in storage that I could use instead of the worn out 19's- they have only run the distance from the car transporter into Duckworths PDI bay and then swapped out by the owner who left them behind and Dan sold them on to me via the forum, so May may be the time to given them a run............... Very Happy

Fawad, thanks for the accommodation tip, I'll contact the LRE Centre when I get home and they probably have a list of places. Am trying to persuade two colleagues who live in Devon and own a new Cayenne and a 2 year old Hyundai Something SUV to come and join in - they've never done any greenlaning or off-road stuff....... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #515330 Sat Jan 21 2017 6:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The Exmoor trip did have a bit of mud but nothing too silly - more a layer of mud over a harder subsurface. A couple of RRS2 on standard wheels/tyres were ok. The real issue is weather. If it rains in the days before the trip it'll be more tricky as the stoney bits will be greasy and the muddy bits sloppier. It'll be a more challenging and thus interesting day. Thumbs Up

Edit: my mini review of the day is here: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic42947-30.html 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #515424 Sun Jan 22 2017 1:00pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 
Exmoor Trek Day 12th March 2017

So ... on and off rain made the day 'interesting'. Definitely more demanding than East Devon. It was still a piece of cake for the RRS though Bow down Loose and slippery rocks, lots of mud and extremely steep hills meant it was good fun. This time I decided NOT to use Auto on TR2 and ATPC at all. These, while super intelligent tools, make the whole thing quite boring as the driver's only input is steering and the car does the rest (and does it really well!). Despite that and the less than ideal conditions, no issues whatsoever Very Happy Again, no damage done to the car. I know I will find some scratches on the wheels when the car gets washed but I also know they will be less visible than kerb marks that are unavoidable with 21" LR wheels around here.

There were a few sections where they took the Freelanders, Evoque and Discovery Sport through alternative paths as the ones my RRS, the Discovery and the FFRRs used were deemed quite difficult and they expected cars with limited clearance and without air suspension to struggle.

I forgot to take the spare memory card for my dash cam which would have enabled me to record the entire day's worth of footage without overwriting any files. I thought fine, I will just disconnect the dash cam during boring bits and reconnect when more interesting stuff comes so that I can optimise memory usage and avoid overwriting files. Forgot doing that too and ended up overwriting most of the day's activity, including the best clips of ascending and descending incredibly steep hills Big Cry I will compile a video of what's left at some point.

For now, some stills:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #520716 Sun Mar 12 2017 11:28pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Looking good!

Post #520726 Mon Mar 13 2017 7:17am
Tim in Scotland

Looks like it was a great day, while it is nice if it is dry and sunny, it is more fun if there is a bit of mud as well! Looks my my 21" M&S would handle that lot OK. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #520746 Mon Mar 13 2017 11:26am
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Looks like the access road to my house!!! You are welcome to "trek" on it, but only 300m long!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #520771 Mon Mar 13 2017 2:19pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Looks my my 21" M&S would handle that lot OK.

My factory fitted 21" Pirelli Scorpion Verde were very well behaved. Didn't struggle one bit on the wet inclines - up or down - mud or rocks. After climbing up a hill with loose rocks (refer to the second last picture above), someone with high sidewalled mud tyres on L322 FFRR pointed to my wheels and asked whether I felt nervous during that 'challenge'. I had no idea what he was talking about Laughing

This morning was pretty dull when I took the below pictures but in yesterday's bright sun I went around the car looking for damage and all I could find were small scratches on the wheels (which I expected anyway). Here's how it looks now:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #520893 Tue Mar 14 2017 3:39pm
Tim in Scotland

I hope your RRS1 owning neighbour was suitably impressed! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #520901 Tue Mar 14 2017 4:09pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Don't know if he noticed the car in the state it was (arrived home from Exmoor Sunday evening, clean by Monday afternoon). If he did, he must have thought I was mad for "doing that to the car" Laughing I took him for a drive when I first got the RRS2 as he was interested. He was impressed and commented they have come a long way since 2006! Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #520904 Tue Mar 14 2017 4:25pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Those pictures bring back memories of our outing. You had more rain beforehand by the look of it. Thumbs Up

Good to see mud on an RRS2. It looks better muddy - you should have saved your Monday for something else and left it dirty! Whistle Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #521007 Wed Mar 15 2017 3:34pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Yes definitely good memories. Great pics and glad you enjoyed it Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #521008 Wed Mar 15 2017 3:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>