Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre Help Please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

bicyclerepairman

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bonatti Grey
Tyre Help Please

Hi All

I am at my wits end. In just over a year I have put 10 tyres on my TDV8. The story goes a bit like this. The car had Conties on it when I bought it and whilst excellent on the road they were very limited off road. I managed to tear the sidewall on one whilst off road so replaced it. 2 weeks later did the same so decided to get come Grabbers on there as I hoped they would be a bit more robust and give me better off road grip whilst being tolerable on the road. I sold the one good (2week old) conti. I then managed to catch a sharp curb on a country road which popped 2 of the Grabbers. This was me being silly and not paying attention so bit the bullet and bought some more. Since then I have had 2 sidewall splits/punctures requiring a further 2 tyres.

I do use the car off road on fairly flinty ground a fair bit but have never suffered like this in the past. DaihatsuSportrack had one split sidewall in about 4 years and none at all on some Yokohama Geolanders on a Suzuki Grand Vitara in another 4 years. The RSS is so much more capable but this tyre habit is becoming boring now.

I use the car on road more than off hence the Grabber AT being a reasonable compromise. They are a little squirmy under heavy breaking but not bad other wise.

Any ideas what I can do as I'm considering ditching the RRS and getting a Jiminy or something alike. Its on 275/40/20s.

All help or ideas welcome.

Post #519530 Wed Mar 01 2017 10:47pm
BigBen

United Kingdom 

I put Grabber AT2 on (RRS 2) for off road use this last winter on chalk, flint and muddy terrain. Very pleased with them and had no problems despite some very testing conditions at times. On road okay only slightly noisier than standard road tyres but a bit more slippery in the wet on braking and cornering. General Tires have now brought out an up dated version of their AT tyre and it is branded simply as General Grabber AT. This is said to be even better for sidewall protection but personally have not heard or seen any reports on them.

Post #519601 Thu Mar 02 2017 1:45pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You can go up to a 45 on the profile. I personally dont rate the grabbers as they seem to be a magnet for flint damaging sidewalls so i went down to 19s using 255/55/19 Goodyear Duratrac which seem loads better.

I have seen that these are available in 255/55/20 and also BF Goodrich KO2 in the same size but no idea if they are available in the UK.

I think they would fit no problem without any issues but have yet to find out for sure. I always like the 20s on my car but the lack of sidewall was a massive issue for me offroad.

If you find the 255/55/20 fits do post back here as im keen to find out, and the BF Goodrich KO2 look awesome and come highly rated for on and offroad Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #519622 Thu Mar 02 2017 5:29pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

The BFG's are the best for off road as the sidewalls are really tough & withstand a lot more than the generals.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #519633 Thu Mar 02 2017 7:15pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Andy,

Are the BF Goodrich KO2 255/55/20 available in the UK? 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #519672 Fri Mar 03 2017 2:17am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1