RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > First Time RRS Owner - My 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

richardsimkiss

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost
First Time RRS Owner - My 2006 2.7 TDV6 HSE

Afternoon all, I've been nosing on the forum for a week or two now having recently taken the plunge into the world of the RRS having come from an Audi A4 Avant. It really is quite the change - I have to say I'm loving the grin factor of the RRS and for the first time in years I'm excited about owning and maintaining my vehicle.

After a period of looking at RRS's and Disco3's, and starting to get impatient to find one that fitted the bill in decent condition within my (lower end) budget - this 2006 2.7 HSE in Arctic Frost came up, and despite not being entirely sure about the colour, or the 22" Overfinch (I think) wheels, by the time I pulled up to view it I was already pretty keen to drive it home (perhaps too keen having not picked up on a few issues whilst viewing it that I've since discovered). Dare I say it, the 22's are growing on me too.

So currently on the 'to do' list is:
- Check/Clean MAP sensor (because I've just read about it and its so easy to do), then read up a bit more on EGR blanking.
- Investigate cause of air suspension compressor taking a long time (~2mins) to raise the car from access to normal (soapy water first port of call for any obvious leaks).
- Wheel alignment; car drives beautifully and doesn't pull to one side under load or braking, but the steering wheel is turned slightly left (didn't notice this on test drive as stupid as it sounds)... I also have an issue with the DSC kicking in, cutting power and applying the front left brake lightly when I go round a right hand bend anything faster than grandad pace - its fine turning left, and turning DSC off resolves the issue (and the vehicle is nowhere near understeering at this stage) - I'm hoping the dodgy wheel alignment will be related and cure this but it's certainly a good starting point if nothing else.

Any input on the above greatly appreciated, otherwise, thanks for the forum - it's already been very useful.

Click image to enlarge

Image following its first clean - well, the exterior anyway - took me 2 hours and I was running out of daylight!

Cheers,
Rich.

Post #518478 Tue Feb 21 2017 2:30pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

looks a beauty!

Post #518480 Tue Feb 21 2017 2:35pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome to RRSport and Arctic Frost is quite a rare colour and very nice.

Your DSC problem could be related to running the 22" wheels. Model year 2005 and 2006 were never meant to have bigger wheels than 19's without a heavy duty steering rack and then you were limited to maximum 20" wheels.............. unless the car has the Dynamic Response Pack with electro-hydraulic anti roll bars when 20" wheels were part of the optional pack. To tell if you have the optional DR Pack then you will have an additional filler cap for the hydraulic fluid at the front of the engine bay - it is shown in the owners manual. Cars for 2007MY onward had the uprated steering rack as standard. Running 22" wheels may have caused wear in the steering system. You should also check that those wheels are genuine Overfinch as there are numerous fakes available - RRS weighs in at almost 3 tonnes so genuine/OEM wheels are weight rated accordingly, fakes often are not strong enough to cope with the weight when driving on potholed roads. Genuine LR wheels have the Land Rover Oval trade mark cast into the back of the wheels, I don't know what distinguishes genuine Overfinch wheels from fakes. Also, safety warning! Never pump up the suspension to off-road height to work under the car and be very very careful using the OEM jack from the boot - they have a habit of falling over or collapsing. If you have to work under the car then raise it and put axle stands under it as the suspension has been known to vent and lower the car to access height crushing the person under it............... or at least giving them a very nasty fright! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #518484 Tue Feb 21 2017 3:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thats useful info about working under the vehicle Tim, I assume its ok to lift to Off-road height, then put jack stands under it?

Its a shame there isnt a way to disable the grounding detection, or you could raise it, put stands under it, then lower it back down until its resting on the stands.

Post #518490 Tue Feb 21 2017 3:53pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

That is the recommended way to jack them up, offroad height and use a trolley jack from there. And don't forget to put the wheel wedge in too!
When you lower it again on completion you may get suspension warnings, a couple of lowerings to access height and then normal height followed by offroad height when all four wheels are on the ground usually resets the sensors. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #518496 Tue Feb 21 2017 4:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
richardsimkiss

Useful info Tim, especially reference recommended jacking process - genuinely interesting to hear the decision to change the steering racks from 2007 onwards, though given the magnitude of abuse these vehicles can take (or are supposed to) I'd be somewhat disappointed if a 10mm(?) increase in overall rolling radius was really enough to cause the steering system to wear out and fail? Confused On the plus side there are no other notable signs of wear in the steering system (play in the wheel, lane wandering etc). Any idea what the physical change on the steering racks (old vs uprated) - it may be something to look into in future if I decide to keep the wheels and time/budget allows.

With the 35 profile tyres on I'm already being bloomin' cautious of potholes, but point noted Smile

Thanks for the kind words guys... just finished swapping out my spare key fob for a new ebay special - bloomin fiddly task but well worth it given the state of the old one Cool

Post #518515 Tue Feb 21 2017 8:11pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Get some 19" LR wheels on it with some proper sized rubber and potholes will be much less of a worry and the ride will be much, much better.... Thumbs Up
Then get EGRs blanked and an Alive or BAS remap and you'll be laughing Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #518523 Tue Feb 21 2017 9:17pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Ive got some good 19 inch wheels and tyres for sale if your interested.

See here: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46896.html

Let me know if your interested Thumbs Up Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #518540 Wed Feb 22 2017 12:17am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Nice car and wheels. Cool

I wouldn't be so keen to blame the rack/wheel size. Maybe the steering angle sensor needs calibrating?

Post #518582 Wed Feb 22 2017 1:15pm
richardsimkiss

Eaters wrote:
Let me know if your interested Thumbs Up

Funnily enough your for sale thread is one of the first posts I read when I came onto the forum, had you been a bit closer, it not been coming into March (hopefully not too much more Winteryness left this side of summer), and I wasn't in the process of moving house in the next couple of weeks I'd have likely dropped you a PM.

My thoughts were similar to yours Andy K, a steering angle sensor needing calibrating or something similar - its (almost) definitely an electrical thing whereby one of the parameters is abnormal, making the car freak out and think it's losing control. Or so my instinct/common sense tells me.

EGR blanking looks easy enough to do, I'll see what the MAP sensor is looking like before taking the plunge though I think because tbh, everything feels like its running pretty sweet atm (if it aint broke...)

RE: re-mapping, I didn't buy the RRS for performance reasons and am more conscious about insurance implications that I was when I was younger, so I don't see myself going down the remap route. If you told me I've get an extra 15mpg though I'd reconsider Wink That said, I was amazed that the 22" wheels didn't add a penny to my insurance premium Very Happy

Post #518639 Wed Feb 22 2017 9:24pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

It's best to blank the EGR's before they break.

It can be more expensive afterwards

Post #518648 Wed Feb 22 2017 10:00pm
richardsimkiss

Blanking Kit ordered - I wanted to read up a bit more to understand the implications of it all, alas the search function brings up pages and pages of results, none quite going into the detail I'd hoped for (a definitive guide to EGRs if you will). Haven't heard anyone say anything bad about removing them, so I'll crack on and get it done.

Post #518656 Wed Feb 22 2017 10:46pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

richardsimkiss wrote:
Eaters wrote:
Let me know if your interested Thumbs Up

Funnily enough your for sale thread is one of the first posts I read when I came onto the forum, had you been a bit closer, it not been coming into March (hopefully not too much more Winteryness left this side of summer), and I wasn't in the process of moving house in the next couple of weeks I'd have likely dropped you a PM

No problem. Let me know if you change your mind and want a second set of boots ready for next winter Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #518665 Wed Feb 22 2017 11:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1