Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > overcharging dash lights flicker
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

madmackie

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey
overcharging dash lights flicker

hi all

the main problem I have is over charging I have replaced the battery and the alternator with a genuine denso new unit. When charging the dah lights seem to pulse and the radio and the Bluetooth hands free cut out this only happens when it over charges. If I turn the car off the radio etc go back to normal

it sometimes rectifies its self and charges at 14.2 all works ok but then it can jump upto 16.1 at some points but usually about 14.9 ish when this happens even at 14.9 the dash lights flicker and radio etc cuts out. the more I use the car the worse it gets to the point when yellow light comes on saying park brake fault
ive spent ££££££'s hundreds this last two weeks and no body seems to know land rover technician says earth fault possibly foot well drivers side or behind dash pod but I don't know where I'm looking and cant see how and earth fault will cause over charging this denso is the second alternator in a month the other being after market

can anyone help me at all I'm based in wigan need a land rover tech or a good auto electrician to look

thx in advance pete "Remember its easier to say sorry than it is to get permission " especially off the Mrs !!

Post #516458 Wed Feb 01 2017 5:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hopefully someone can recommend recommend a good place to take your car locally.

However, it does sound as if you might be making a false assumption about overcharging.

The alternator's on our cars are quite sophisticated and don't just pump out a steady output instead the voltage tends to go up and down. It's normal for the voltage to go up to the figures you have quoted.

The symptoms you describe, especially the 'park brake fault' are usually associated with a voltage drop for instance when starting a car with a weak battery. That makes me wonder if you do have poor connections or a bad earth somewhere. Could it even be that the battery is at fault? You said it was changed but then an alternator failed again - that often fries the battery. Maybe have it checked out? Make sure it is someone who knows what they are doing because I've lost count of the number of times people say they were told their battery was fine when it obviously wasn't. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #516490 Wed Feb 01 2017 9:40pm
madmackie

hi paddi thx for the reply when I put the second alternator on I put another new battery at the same time so its cost a few quid lol hopefully mick (flack) will come and check it out for me but any info would be great
SORRY FOR THE CAPITALS BUT ARE THERE ANY LAND ROVER MASTER TECHNICIANS ON HERE YOUR INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED

just hope someone can shed some light I was about to sell it but I cant until its fixed I wouldn't pass the problem on cheers "Remember its easier to say sorry than it is to get permission " especially off the Mrs !!

Post #516498 Wed Feb 01 2017 9:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

You could give all the heavy duty connections (battery and alternator) a good clean up.

Post #516540 Thu Feb 02 2017 12:06pm
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

WD40 is good for cleaning connections, it's mildly acidic so it cleans the crud and rust off.

Not for delicate connections though! Thumbs Up

Post #516550 Thu Feb 02 2017 1:30pm
madmackie

An update

its fixed thx to my dad 74 yrs old went through all the earths on the car it turned out to be the main earth from the battery to the body I had the high pressure fuel pump done last year and can only assume they hadn't tightened it up the nut was on the last thread before it dropped off this had been sparking and was burnt. he cleaned it up put it back on all fine

who would have thought an earth problem would cause overcharging

thx to all who ive spoken too for advice "Remember its easier to say sorry than it is to get permission " especially off the Mrs !!

Post #516564 Thu Feb 02 2017 5:16pm
phillh

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Glad you found a cheap fix. Thumbs Up

Thanks for posting result, it will undoubtedly help others.

Post #516579 Thu Feb 02 2017 7:36pm
flack

If its had two batteries on it why was it not picked up then... Shocked

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #516583 Thu Feb 02 2017 7:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1