Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Navigation GPS position
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Pakolainen

Finland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Rimini Red
Navigation GPS position

Hi,
I had the battery out of the car for a couple of days charging and eventually had to change to a new battery. Since then when i turn on the navigation it has me as being in the middle of the Baltic sea.

The navigation still works but just doesn't find a route 80km out to sea.
Have ejected and reinserted the disc but no change. o i presume the GPS thing has been knocked. Is it close tot he battery?
When i replaced the battery it was -24 degrees celsius so i was quicker than normal in replacing..

any help appreciated.

Steve 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2014 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Dynamic
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Alfa Romeo Guillietta 2.0 JTDM 2011
Mazda 3 1.6 2010
Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX 2005

Post #514558 Sun Jan 15 2017 3:39pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Not sure but thought Sat Nav defaulted to Belguim when battery disconnected on prefacelift cars, and has to be reset to current Country where vehicle located. As say not sure but may be worth checking.

Cheers
Col

Post #514628 Sun Jan 15 2017 11:08pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

That was for address lookup, the position was always OK 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #514630 Sun Jan 15 2017 11:14pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 
Re: Navigation GPS position

Pakolainen wrote:
Hi,
I had the battery out of the car for a couple of days charging and eventually had to change to a new battery. Since then when i turn on the navigation it has me as being in the middle of the Baltic sea.

The navigation still works but just doesn't find a route 80km out to sea.
Have ejected and reinserted the disc but no change. o i presume the GPS thing has been knocked. Is it close tot he battery?
When i replaced the battery it was -24 degrees celsius so i was quicker than normal in replacing..

any help appreciated.

Steve

I'm only speculating, but I doubt that the failure mode of a GPS sensor would be to move your location, or that it would be fitted near the battery. I'd look for a different explanation relating to the disconnection of the battery,

Post #514633 Sun Jan 15 2017 11:17pm
Pakolainen

That's the odd part, in all circumstances, the NAvigation works, but just has my location wrong.
And for it to find a location means the GPS sensor works in some way.

I only associated it with the battery as it worked fine before i changed the battery. and this happened immediately after.

Perhaps i'll try to reset it all.

thanks 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Mazda 3 1.6 2010

Post #514640 Mon Jan 16 2017 7:53am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Again, speculating (as I have no specific knowledge about RRS systems):

Possibilities that strike me are (1) That the power supply to the GPS antenna was accidentally severed while you were working (unlikely), (2) A fuse in the power supply to the GPS antenna blew when you restored power, (3) The temporary loss of power supply to the GPS antenna (while you changed the battery) caused it to fail or lose base information due to pre-existing depletion of any in-built back-up battery,or (4) Some form of hard or soft re-set is required due to the power interruption to the whole system. I'd still bet that it's power related and directly or indirectly linked to the power being interrupted.

Post #514648 Mon Jan 16 2017 10:17am
flack

Your gps aerial is in the Shark fin on the rear roof, I have had this before and it was the aerial had corroded inside the shark fin and had to be replaced..do a search I did a how to for a cheap replacement gps sensor. This is the only thing that tells the nav where you are, the only other thing I can think you might have disturbed is the ABS speed pulse wire from the abs module, but not sure where that is on your car as I presume its a LHD car..

Flack. Thumbs Up

Post #514649 Mon Jan 16 2017 10:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pakolainen

Thanks.
It is a LHD car and i have no clue where those things are either.
Will give it a look over once i get time to do so.

cheers 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Mazda 3 1.6 2010

Post #514651 Mon Jan 16 2017 10:24am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I am a professional user of GPS (Ship's Master) and invariably if the system has been powered down for whatever reason it can take several hours (despite what the manuals say about 10-15 minutes!) to synchronize the position. Invariably if there is a positional error it is an antenna problem - corroded connection are very likely cause and onboard the ship sometimes the antenna clamps loosen with vibration and the antenna ands up upside down and it doesn't like that. Unfortunately the car and ship GPS isn't like that used in mobile phones that is what is called GPS(A). GPS(A) uses the cellular phone masts to triangulate the initial position of the receiver thus finding networks very quickly and allowing the built in GPS to synchronize in a minute or so (unless you have an iPhone when it can take ages!). The mobile phone app routing programs these days are so good that they really render in car Nav systems obsolete apart from the positional info that is fed into the more modern model's security and tracking systems. They apps are usually way more up to date in things like TomTom and Navimi apps than the build in systems and you get paid extras like speed cams, travel info and traffic flow/ road works info that is better than in the in-car systems. Onboard we also have a better receiver system than cars - we have Differential GPS which is accurate to 30cm............... when you can get the correction transmissions!

Living where you live are you sure that the GPS system (which uses very very weak VHF radio signals between satellites and receiver) that there isn't interference from your large neighbour across the border................ who also actually have a far better system than GPS called GLONAS............ 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #514659 Mon Jan 16 2017 12:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Pakolainen wrote:
Thanks.
It is a LHD car and i have no clue where those things are either.

Take a look under the driver seat from the rear, there will be some FAKRA connectors fitted to the rear of the DVD satnav unit. One of them (blue) is the antenna connector. Check if it's OK.
Get ahold of a cheap aftermarket magnetic GPS antenna with a FAKRA connector and connect it directly to your satnav unit. Route the antenna cable through the rear door to the roof.
Calibrate the satnav to your current position using the menu. Now check if it works as intended on a 20-30 km trip.

If the satnav works OK, your shark fin antenna OR the wiring to it is damaged and needs replacing. If it's just the antenna, you can reuse your cheap GPS antenna and connect it to the GPS FAKRA connector right under the roof (you will need to carefully work your way between the roof and the roof liner. More info here: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic40915.html)

However if the satnav still does not work despite calibration and a new antenna, your unit might need a software update or even a replacement... Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #514682 Mon Jan 16 2017 3:36pm
Pakolainen

As far as i can tell i finally got this sorted. Reset the system a few times, re calibrated the position, which wasn't as easy as i thought due to a sketchy positioning when touching the screen and that all road names are for some reason in Swedish and perhaps Finnish if it is a long road.

The GPS and TMC little boxes in the top left corner are crossed out with a red diagonal line??

thanks for the help.

Steve 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Mazda 3 1.6 2010

Post #515034 Thu Jan 19 2017 9:24am
TheWojtek

Means your satnav 1. does not see any GPS satellites and does not use GPS to position the car on the map (only the wheel sensors) and 2. does not use TMC to reroute if necessary.
1. Your GPS antenna/wiring are shot as I told you before. You need a new antenna. The wheel sensor positioning works surprisingly well, if only for a couple of days, eventually it will lost track of the car.
The cheapest and easiest way to make sure it's an antenna problem is to fit a temporary antenna as I described above.
2. Make sure you are in an area with TMC coverage. If there is still a red line over the "TMC" icon, check under the flap in the boot (right-hand side) if you can see a small brown unit with a gold connector fitted to it. It's the TMC receiver. Make sure the connector sits properly. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #515048 Thu Jan 19 2017 12:29pm
Pakolainen

Thanks,
I actually hadn't seen your reply. I've driven 200km since the recalibaration with no issues, but will look into what you said.

cheers 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Mazda 3 1.6 2010

Post #515082 Thu Jan 19 2017 3:15pm
TheWojtek

If your "GPS" icon is still inactive (red lines), the satnav uses wheel sensors only. I had various experiences with those, there were days when I was tracked just as I should for a week (mostly when I did my work commute, from suburbs to suburbs, no dense road grid), but when I started driving in the city, the satnav got lost after a day, placing me on the neighboring streets first and then further and further away. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #515095 Thu Jan 19 2017 4:44pm
lazysurf

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi All,

My GPS antenna has just stopped working too. Bought a cheap one from fleabay with a Farka connector and it now works. Great!

All I need to do it get this routed somehow neatly back out to the roof. Has anyone any pics of the annnenta removal? The previous link doesn't work anymore.

Post #518726 Thu Feb 23 2017 6:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>