RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Cancel Command Shift Paddles?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Cancel Command Shift Paddles?

Hi Folks

On my XF I was able to select paddle change on both D & S, or only S by accessing a menu on the screen. I cannot find a similar menu on the RRS, so does anybody know if I can disable the paddles in D (both are the 8 speed gearboxes)? That's twice now I've pulled out of a junction and somehow managed to bump the paddle causing manual gearchange which is a tad embarrassing driving with screaming rev's until I can figure how to get it back on auto...

Thanks

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Post #508416 Sun Oct 23 2016 3:51pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Mine is a later L494 and there is an option in the dash menus to disable the paddles, but rather than disable them if you pull one for a fixed time (IIRC 5 secs) it should return the car to full auto mode. My 2011 and 2014MY Evoques both had that feature to return to full auto mode and to inhibit the paddles too so have a look in your owner's manual 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #508422 Sun Oct 23 2016 5:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
insiorc

I've checked the manual but will have another look. It was a MY14 XF so maybe not on my MY13 RRS.

Pulling the lever for a few seconds is how I get it back into auto mode, but it's a few seconds too long when screaming along after having pulled out of a junction and knocked it down a gear by mistake. I never use the Censored paddles so it also takes me a few seconds to figure out what's going on.

Post #508429 Sun Oct 23 2016 6:01pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Dennis,

As Tim says above, you can disable the paddles, only have the paddles operate when you are in "S" or disable Auto and only use the paddles from the dash menu on an L494. As your gear box is the same, would find it probable that your vehicle has similar actions.

Cheers,

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #508491 Mon Oct 24 2016 11:06am
insiorc

I read the online manual in Topix and no mention of disabling the paddles, just a reference to when in D it will automatically revert back to auto after a time with no paddle functions, and no acceleration/deceleration. When in S mode it will not revert back to auto unless pulling the upchange paddle for 2 seconds.

I will need to have another look in my RRS screen and try to find this disable function, I think on my XF it was only available when ignition on and engine off (I think it might have been there, but greyed out when the engine running).

It might seem a trivial matter but I had pulled out of a junction onto a 60 mph road which normally would have been plenty of time before the approaching car was at me, but due to the downchange and screaming rev's I couldn't accelerate away normally so causing the approaching car to have to slow right down (a real pet hate of mine - Highway Code states not to pull out of it will cause an oncoming car to slow down - a bit of code most UK drivers appear to have forgot about, especially older ones...). My frantic paddle pulling was of great hilarity to my wife...

I guess I could disable the paddles in the CCF with IIDTool but I tow a caravan so will likely use them on steep hills in the Highlands, so I would like to keep them available when required.

Thanks folks

Post #508507 Mon Oct 24 2016 3:18pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Pretty sure there wasn't an option in L320 to disable the paddles despite the same engine and gearbox as L494. I find I use the paddles much less in MY16 than I did in MY13 because it is so much more responsive already. However, even though I can disable them or have avaialble only in S in L494, I still keep mine on in both D and S for occassional use. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #508509 Mon Oct 24 2016 3:28pm
insiorc

Slight off topic direction... but why would anybody actually use those paddles, or even S for that matter? I've driven automatics for about 15 years and the only time I ever use anything other than D is when on steep downhills (Berriedale Brae's etc.) with a trailer/caravan, and then I might drop down from D to 3 or 2 to assist the brakes from heating too much (in my P38, I've only once driven there with the RRS and didn't use them).
After all, Land Rovers are not the usual sports cars driven by many teenagers, screaming round town trying to impress folk! 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #508512 Mon Oct 24 2016 3:42pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

insiorc wrote:
After all, Land Rovers are not the usual sports cars driven by many teenagers, screaming round town trying to impress folk!

Are you sure about that? Laughing Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #508517 Mon Oct 24 2016 4:19pm
m8ch1n

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

insiorc wrote:
I've checked the manual but will have another look. It was a MY14 XF so maybe not on my MY13 RRS.

Pulling the lever for a few seconds is how I get it back into auto mode, but it's a few seconds too long when screaming along after having pulled out of a junction and knocked it down a gear by mistake. I never use the Censored paddles so it also takes me a few seconds to figure out what's going on.

Dennis

I've done the same myself, very easily knocked without knowing. I haven't seen a disable option either. The quickest way to resolve this is simply just flick the main gear selector from drive to sport and straight back to drive again. This will cancel out the paddle selector and leave you back in drive. Thumbs Up

Post #508722 Thu Oct 27 2016 2:39am
Russben

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Dropping down a gear or two using paddle shift is handy when preparing for an overtake (from behind a tractor for example) and when descending steep'ish hills.

I sometimes use the paddles for an entire journey just so the car knows who's in charge Twisted Evil I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #508764 Thu Oct 27 2016 11:18am
Tim in Scotland

Also very useful off-road to keep the car in a lower gear than the gearbox ECU might want to be in so you can utilise the engine braking better instead of brakes/ HDC (we don't all use the TR functions off road, some prefer to do it without electrinics intervening). I rarely use the paddles on road but they are still useful even in L494 with the extra power and torque, when overtaking or if as stated above you want to play at manual changes when you want them. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #508786 Thu Oct 27 2016 3:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

During the test drive of my soon-tp-be 2015 SCV8 earlier today, I tried the paddles in D, and nothing happened. I had to put it in S mode for the paddles to be active.

Is this normal, or is there a setting somewhere to have them always active? I would prefer them to be always active.

Alternatively, is it something I can activate using my IID tool? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #557299 Thu May 24 2018 6:55pm
Tim in Scotland

If you go into the dash menu for the settings there is a menu for the paddles and how you would like to use them 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #557300 Thu May 24 2018 6:58pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

^^^^ as Tim says,,go into the menu as you can enable them to work either in just sport mode or sport & drive.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White