RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Can't decide on engines...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sparkx

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Can't decide on engines...

Hi all,

So i was the proud owner of a beautiful carpathian grey autobiography SDV6... It's turned into a bit of a lemon (been in the dealers for 5 weeks now, turbo boost fault that they can't find..)

Because I bought it at discount, its advantageous for me to PX it in now, but feel like I'd like something with a little bit more power!

Don't do a huge amount of miles (about 10k a year) Is the 'small' power increase noticeable with the SDV8, or is it just worth going for the S/C 5.0 V8?

anyone ever bought a S/C and regretted it!?

I'd love to go SVR, but the lack of climate seats, fog lights ect and it's not available on the military sales programme..

Post #495238 Fri May 06 2016 8:07am
Rowdie

United Kingdom 

I cant tell you about the S/C 5.0, but the SDV8 is massively more drivable and fun than the SDV6. Especially in Dynamic mode Smile

Post #495254 Fri May 06 2016 10:54am
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I can tell you that I love my 5.0SC...I wouldn't be without it...however I took an F-Type R out the other day...that thing is soon much faster lol.

I would buy the SC again or the SVR...its addictive, and the noise of the 5.0 is great, if not as good as the SVR. 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #495256 Fri May 06 2016 11:36am
Hodog16

United States 

Nobody has regretted getting the SCV8 that's for sure. It's an incredible engine. Great sound and just a tap of the pedal and the car launches. 2016 SCV8 Dynamic - Firenze Red/Pimento

Post #495352 Sat May 07 2016 8:58pm
wilf

Rowdie wrote:
I cant tell you about the S/C 5.0, but the SDV8 is massively more drivable and fun than the SDV6. Especially in Dynamic mode Smile

Is the throttle response markedly different between the SDV6 and the SDV8? Especially from tickover? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #495379 Sun May 08 2016 5:56am
Autobiography

Having had both the SDV6 and SDV8 in the L494, the SDV6 remains my preferred option. The engine is much quieter, has smoother gear changes and the weight reduction over the SDV8 is extremely noticeable - Dynamic mode in the SDV8 has much more roll than in the SDV6.

The SDV8 dates back to 2010 and has had very little work done to it since. The SDV6 is a much newer engine and it shows. Performance is only roughly 0.2s different 0-62.

Post #495443 Mon May 09 2016 7:40am
ExpatPom

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Fuji White

I've not driven an SDV6, however the SDV8 compared to the TDV6 (L494 still) is like chalk and cheese.As it should be!

The SDV8 is really quite rapid, especially for those motorway overtake manoeuvres (here in Aus 100kph+) which are done very safe with a very quick pickup. Having just come back from a road trip with the family in Tassie, it was way too easy (and quick) to find ourselves on the wrong side of 130kph zipping past the other car. Mind you... this is what you want to do it safely.

Traveling from Davenport up to Cradle Mountain, enjoying the very tight and twisty turns on the journey in Dynamic mode, I didn't feel any roll at all. Very impressed actually.

I don't do many kms either so have considered that a SCV8 could have been a choice, but there is enough performance for me in the SDV8 (certainly enough to easily get in trouble with the law) and the fuel consumption is very good.

I think informing yourself by driving each is what I would recommend and consider how law abiding (nee tempting) the more rapid cars will be and if part of the decision process the fuel consumption.

I'm very happy with my SDV8. MY15.5 Fuji White, SDV8 HSE Dyn Stealth Pack
Gone: MY14 Fuji White, 3.0 TDV6 SE
Gone: MY10 Stornoway Grey, 3.0 TDV6

Post #495461 Mon May 09 2016 10:38am
GJW1

United Kingdom 

Go with your heart not your head otherwise you will soon regret it.

The sdv6 does around 22mpg round town and no more than 30 on the motorway from what I get and that's without traffic.

The scv8 may do 15 around town and 25 ish on the motorway i made this error on my order and it would cost me a lot more than 6500 to change it now so I'm stuck with it until facelift or I get bored.

Sdv6 is fine for everything I do but it doesn't give you that drivers feeling when you want it those few times.

Post #495504 Mon May 09 2016 7:24pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

sparkx,

What kind of driving are you going to do? I have a 5.0 SC and absolutely love it. It does everything - it is comfortable and not too bad a ride on 22 inch wheels, has a good amount of torque for effortless driving and lets you be a hooligan if that takes your fancy Smile

I collected mine in December 2014 and have averaged 22 mpg. Most of my driving is from the middle of London where I live to the Midlands and back so mainly motorway. Short 6 to 7 mile journeys around town and I get around 10 mpg.

Having said all that, I did test drive an SVR in April last year and will change mine for that when it is 3 years old.

Try them all, if running costs etc are a primary factor then do the math but if not, then as others have said, go with your heart.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Last edited by Violetpiano on Tue May 10 2016 6:07am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #495519 Mon May 09 2016 9:40pm
DrFox1969

Australia 

I drove both the SDV6 and the SDV8 when deciding to purchase.

SDV6 is a great engine and on paper there is not much between the 2 engines. Driving them both back to back was a big difference.

The SDV8 seemed to have noticeably more torque when pulling away from a stand still or when overtaking at speed. The way the SDV8 gathers speed is incredible for a 2 tonne plus diesel 4x4. Around town it is relaxed and sedate. MPG is slightly higher from the SDV6 but not too much, it all depends on your driving style. The V8 burble is also much more satisfying than the v6.

I admit i would love to have the SCV8 but the low residuals put me off. If you want a fantastic engine with good turn of speed, refinement and fuel economy go for the SDV6. If you want intoxicating V8 noise are not bothered about residuals or fuel economy then go for the SCV8. In my view the SDV8 is an in between option.

In today's world of speed cameras and anti speed policies all the engines mentioned will be sufficient to help you lose your licence very quickly. As previously suggested, the only way to know what you want is drive them all and go with your heart.

As you might be able to tell, I went with the SDV8 and love it. Also not sure how long the V8 diesels will be around in the car market so I wanted to grab one whilst I still could. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #495527 Tue May 10 2016 2:00am
sparkx

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

ordering an SVR.... oops Very Happy

Post #502543 Wed Aug 10 2016 7:30pm
wilf

Congratulations. Remarkable vehicle. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #502547 Wed Aug 10 2016 8:05pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

sparkx wrote:

Well done Thumbs Up welcome to the family.

Anything you need to know, just drop me a note.

Post #502596 Thu Aug 11 2016 3:27pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

sparkx wrote:

Congrats! Best choice.

We will need an SVR Forum at this rate Wink

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #502603 Thu Aug 11 2016 5:01pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

As a matter of interest, has there been any reports of the crank failing on the SDV6? --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #508250 Fri Oct 21 2016 8:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1