RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Any Jaguar XK owners?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
Any Jaguar XK owners?

Some of you may remember I've been after a nice S2A as a second car but having looked at a few now I'm starting to consider my second crush which is the XK Embarassed

Considering 06+ but think I prefer 09+ with the 5.0/rotary gearshift Mr. Green

Just wondering if anyone here as owned them and their opinions - I realise it's unlikely to be the investment a S2A is but I'm thinking it's probably going to be more fun Cool

Not fussed about convertible so probably looking at a coupe - do rear seats fold flat for dog - boot looks a bit squashed and it would be hot under the glass Confused

Supercharged doesn't appear to be much quicker and presumably more to go wrong/higher insurance - any thoughts appreciated Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #502009 Tue Aug 02 2016 4:58pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I had a used 08 XKR 4.2 SC Couple in Botanical Green for 2 years from summer 2009. Only upgrade was the hifi, as I recall, and possibly the front park sensors (which are very useful, let me tell you). It was just before the 58 "facelift" which added LED rear lights, but post the 57(?) change to remove that old fashioned electric pop-up arial you see on 2006 cars.

It was a superb machine, truly superb. Performance was effortless and the soundtrack delicious. Happy to pootle in town, with a smooth gearbox. Best of all was the handling (on 20")... I have never driven anything so smooth yet so confidence-inspiring. Frickin' magical (and a major upgrade on my 04 XJR which handled like an ill-tempered mule by comparison). I did journey's like London to Edinburgh in it in a single blast and you just don't notice the time go by, but again compared to the RRS... not sure now.

Obviously, I only owned it for 18 months before I chopped it in for my RRS, which is better if you can only afford 1 car, like me. An XK would make a perfect second car.

Positives:

Handling / comfort trade off rewrote the rules for me
SC pulls like a freight train and tickled your wotsits with its soundtrack
Well judged traction control
Practicality of tailgate + folding seats
100% reliable (18 months, 10k miles, sold at 32k miles 2.5 years old)
Looks good enough to eat
Frameless, pillarless doors (or is my memory playing tricks on me?)
Paddles with J gate 6 speed auto shifts nicely
Upgraded hifi (Bowers & Wilkins, I think it was) sounds very special
I looked like James Bond (in my head)

Negatives:

My 4.2 was always a compromise on the newly released 5.0 SC... but I saved ~£20k
Uninspiring interior (black leather, aluminium, plastic) - did not feel special
Limited visibility (I would not let MY wife drive one, don't tell her)
No engine temperature gauge on 4.2s. But you get used to it!
No sunroof option (would have been a great compromise on a convertible)
Thirsty.. 17 mpg average, if I recall. But I live in London. 21 to 25 mpg on runs I think.
Rear seats are, of course, a joke (tiny gymnasts and yoga instructors will ok. Never tried kids in it)
Very poor in the snow!
I got caught speeding 72 in a 60! (the powerful brakes saved the day...)

Looking at the plain numbers puts a normally aspirated 5.0 at similar performance as a 4.2 SC. If I were buying one now I would probably go for normally aspirated 5.0, even if it means paying a little extra. Shame they do not have the bonnet scoops / grills, though, as those details enhance the look in my opinion.

The boot was great. Being able to lift the whole tailgate on a sports car makes a big difference, and when the seats are folded flat I remember thinking "this is like having a Mondeo!". You may be able to get a sunshade for the rear glass. But now I am used to the RRS I am not sure how I would feel. There are height limitations and if your dog is either a). tall or b). easily provoked into vomiting in high speed corners then an XK may not be for you. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #502152 Thu Aug 04 2016 1:52pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Cheers ilard Bow down

Only a Westie and if the rear seats fold flat she will be happy behind us I think on the odd occasion she comes along Smile

Thinking of taxing summer only as we have the DS so handling in poor weather not an issue - mainly a summer dry weather toy Cool

I made the mistake of looking at F type and trying to convince swmbo we should buy a FL2 for winter and get one of them now instead Laughing Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #502157 Thu Aug 04 2016 2:04pm
Beancounter_74

England 

I think SPX off here has a XKR, I'm sure hell chip in if he sees the thread. Smile ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #502159 Thu Aug 04 2016 3:08pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

ilard wrote:
Practicality of tailgate + folding seats

We need to check if the seats actually fold or if I was dreaming it. I remember the boot being big. But I cannot find any photos or reference to the folding seats. The picture I had for my car doesn't show seats folded. Neutral

Hopefully someone can put me out of my misery. (By which I do not mean shoot me. Not yet). L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #502195 Thu Aug 04 2016 7:04pm
454awg

United Kingdom 

Hi I have had 2 5.0 XKR's and can confirm the seats do not fold ! But they really are great cars 2014 RRS AB 5.0

Post #502209 Thu Aug 04 2016 9:17pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Cheers Thumbs Up

Worst case blanket on seat and doggy seatbelt then Wink Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #502412 Mon Aug 08 2016 5:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1