RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Ford Edge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand
Ford Edge

An RRS it ain't, but driven back to back today with the Discovery Sport it becomes a little more than interesting at £6k cheaper for similar spec Confused

Post #501831 Thu Jul 28 2016 9:57pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

so what did you like best?

Disco Sport of the Ford Edge

Personally never heard of it, but a quick look and its not too bad, but a little slow on paper with the more powerful of the two engines, but still has a 2200kg tow limit which would suit

Post #501832 Thu Jul 28 2016 10:26pm
Paulcp

Without doubt my money would go on the Ford Edge.

Yes, on paper it is slower but on driving feels about the same as the DS acceleration wise. At first I didn't think so but looking at how the speedo jumps up when you put your foot down it definitely is. It is larger than the DS and feels it but the sport version we tried behaved very well on the twisty roads near where we live. The engine & drivetrain are also smoother and the 6 speed box means that, unlike the DS, it is not forever changing gear. It also has a dual clutch auto box which means that when using the paddles in sports mode the gear change is instant. It is also quieter inside and altogether, IMO, a more refined car. Interior is a little bland but not too bad but then I've always had a problem with the DS centre console layout which hasn't really moved on from the Freelander and IMO looks cheap and dated.

If you want all of the off road settings that come with the DS then the Ford is not for you but I think it will surprise many people if they try it. I tried it just for completeness expecting to dismiss it out of hand afterwards. Now it is a serious contender.

Post #501839 Fri Jul 29 2016 9:18am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Only 3 star rating compared to DS 5 stars Shocked

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/edge

Looks smaller than the DS Confused

Imho has a face only a mother could love not to mention LR prestige vs Ford prestige Whistle

For a minute there you peaked my interest but quick Google soon ended that - back to my brilliant DS Cool Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #501842 Fri Jul 29 2016 10:07am
Stecla

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I had a good look at one in a showroom and liked it a lot. Pretty sure it's bigger than a DS (at least wider), and boot is very big. Lots of equipment too, but like said in the spec I would want I'd be pushing 37/8k and not sure I could justify that on a ford when a nearly new disco 4 is only a couple of grand within reach....

Nice car though, and suspect running costs would be better (servicing etc) than lr. 2010 TDV8

Post #501845 Fri Jul 29 2016 11:06am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I paid £499 for 5 year service package so no complaints there and anticipate the residuals will offset any initial saving on purchase Confused

I've had a few Fords and found them excellent but no way would I pay £37/8k for one - I paid £40k for the DS HSE with everything I want on it and hoping for good price when it's time to change but enjoying ownership until then Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #501846 Fri Jul 29 2016 12:00pm
Paulcp

muddywheels wrote:
Only 3 star rating compared to DS 5 stars Shocked

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/edge

Looks smaller than the DS Confused

Imho has a face only a mother could love not to mention LR prestige vs Ford prestige Whistle

For a minute there you peaked my interest but quick Google soon ended that - back to my brilliant DS Cool

Edge is definitely bigger than a DS as our back to back road test and garage test showed.
As for reviews by motoring journalists I take them with a pinch of salt. I can make my own mind up thank you and not have to rely on whichever journalist is in whichever manufacturers pocket at the time. You only have to look a Chris Harris and his association with Porsche to figure that one out.

I agree about the look at the front but IMO the equivalent DS I'd the HSE Lux which spiced up comes out at £46k. My major issue with the DS is that it still has that 8 year old Freelander centre console which, IMO of course, looks cheap in a £46k car. I really wanted to like the DS but it is currently down in 3rd place on my list. Behind the Edge on VFM, overall feel and driving experience and way behind the F Pace on interior quality.

Oh, and the thought of getting away from having to travel 40 miles to experience the dreadful service from LR that I've had in the past 2 years is certainly an upside.

I may still keep the RRS for another year but I was pleasantly surprised at the trade in offers which has started me thinking.

Post #501854 Fri Jul 29 2016 5:31pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I also take the reviews with pinch of salt having owned FL1s and D2s that were slated but great vehicles Thumbs Up

The centre console comment re FL2 surprises me having owned 2 I don't get it Shocked

Have to agree on dealers putting me off too but very happy with the vehicles Big Cry Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #501859 Fri Jul 29 2016 6:35pm
Stecla

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

To be fair, there is a fair amount of plastic in the edge. In the right spec, it's pretty good value for money. I do like the disco sport however, and am considering chopping my 2010 tdv8 in for either on of them or a discovery 4 (or possibly an edge).

What's the boot space like muddy? Also, is there room for 3 across the back for longish journeys? One of the things I like about the disco 4 is the 3 individual seats so less morning about who has to sit in the middle.

In this price range I also like the Jeep Grand Cherokee and maybe a lower spec xc90.... 2010 TDV8

Post #501884 Sat Jul 30 2016 8:26am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Boot on DS is plenty big enough for me and thanks to sliding rear seat can be made bigger or smaller to suit needs - I really struggled with FL2 and occasionally with RRS before they made it smaller on RRS2 Shocked

Rear legroom is best I've ever seen in a vehicle apart from a London cab Wink

I've not had 3 in rear yet so DS is very wide so wouldn't think it's a problem but recommend trying it to be sure Confused

3rd row seats are for small kids really - I've had my 22 year old son in for short trip but not really designed for that imho. Disco 4 is definitely a better option for seating but as it is about to be replaced by D5 expect prices to crash quickly Big Cry Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #501888 Sat Jul 30 2016 9:00am
Paulcp

I've also considered both the D4 and a Grand Cherokee.

Deals to be had on the D4 (& DS for stock cars) & I was offered a new, in stock £48k Cherokee for £40k

Post #501889 Sat Jul 30 2016 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1