RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Stop/Start stopped - failing battery?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The correct term is "Characteristic" Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #498332 Thu Jun 09 2016 7:16pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

R444SPT wrote:

I understood as previously mentioned that the 2nd battery was solely for the stop / start mechanism.

Must be a feature.... :rolllaugh: :whistle:

From what I was advised, the second battery is there to share the load and it is incorrect to call it the stop/start battery! The only cure suggested was to purchase a smart charger and charge the vehicle every night when not in use. During the winter months I did this for a few weeks and hey presto, the stop/start worked every time. Miss a night and it would go back to being U/S. Recently the weather has decided to just stay in double figures here in the frozen North, and I can get 2 days out of the batteries with the stop/start working, however no more than that.

So, now I just charge it when I think about it and live without the start/stop when I don't, but it is a pretty poor design feature on the part of Land Rover. One of many, I am discovering!!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #498337 Thu Jun 09 2016 7:45pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

I was thinking now that the weather is nice I should stop using the CTEK regularly. Sounds like that isn't such a great idea as I don't drive anywhere near 80 miles/day. Mostly drive mine on the weekends only and have a dash cam hardwired as well. Never had any issues with Stop/Start or RPH, clearly thanks to CTEK.

No wonder LR have added maintenance charger as an optional extra when ordering a new car! Great confidence in their product being fit for purpose Laughing Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #498338 Thu Jun 09 2016 7:47pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I thought the same when I saw the new brochures Laughing

http://accessories.landrover.com/gb/en/ran...r-uk-only/

Glad I got mine here on a Group Buy - saved a fortune looking at this - strangely only uk accessory Shocked Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #498339 Thu Jun 09 2016 8:02pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Strange then that I can leave my 2015MY HSE Dynamic on the drive for 3-4 months at a stretch with only a 30 mile run every 6-8 weeks and unlike my last 2 Evoques and the previous FFRR so far the RRS has not suffered any battery drain, even in the depths of winter. With the previous RRS's and the FFRR I have also been able to plug in a Maplin £10 solar panel trickle charger, after the issues with the first Evoque LR did a special software download for my car that allowed me to have the socket for the city lighter live when the ignition was off to allow me to trickle charge that car from the solar panel, but they wouldn't do it for the next Evoque telling me BMS issues were a thing of the passed.............. 2 flat batteries later in one winter they still wouldn't add the previous car's software change! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #498340 Thu Jun 09 2016 8:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The price of that Battery Conditioner from LR, you could get a couple of new batteries with, I just put mine on trickle charge overnight, when I'm either doing many short journeys, or in Winter as use all the gizmos to keep warm etc. Wink
It's quite surprising if you do a check of battery condition say using the IID BT tool, it shows even after a long run that my battery was only in 85% condition, but with using the trickle charge, it never drops as low as 90% condition, even with at present with this 24c-28c heat, Climate permanently on, much night driving requiring lights and using TV, and watching DVDs, amplifier at er...loud levels, all drain power, as does the alarm system when parked up. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #498344 Thu Jun 09 2016 9:34pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

This whole thread has got kind of crazy, we are in 2016, talking about modern cars, and we are talking about having to charge them daily (when they are not electric / hybrids) just for some of the features to remain operative.

As stop start helps their environmental credentials,,and allegedly provides a 5% gain in fuel efficiency, surely the whole solution is just not fit for purpose if for. Let people it ceases to be operative on daily journeys, and from the sounds of it, the more likely you are to be doing a stop start journey the less likely it is to be successful in its operation.

LRCS what do you think?

Post #498360 Fri Jun 10 2016 8:36am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

A new CTEK arrived yesterday and this morning the stop/start worked flawlessly for the first time in months.

Only concern is the CTEK is still in its box in the passenger footwell. 

Post #498775 Thu Jun 16 2016 8:41am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Must be their latest and greatest wireless charger. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #498781 Thu Jun 16 2016 9:04am
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

philmw wrote:
A new CTEK arrived yesterday and this morning the stop/start worked flawlessly for the first time in months.

Only concern is the CTEK is still in its box in the passenger footwell.

Like it never raining when you take a brolley

That r the 400 mile ound trip to pick the charger up has your battery ack to where the car wants it Rolling with laughter

Post #498784 Thu Jun 16 2016 9:20am
philmw

Just an update, I connected a CTEK to the battery last Sunday overnight and since then Stop/Start has been working perfectly.

Part of the weekend duties now, therefore, include connecting the car up overnight. 

Post #499480 Sat Jun 25 2016 3:41pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I've had man flu for a week and the DS has been stood unused Sad

I went to start it Thursday and got Low Battery - Start Engine message/auto tailgate refused to open Shocked

It started sluggishly and even after couple of trips still had message so I put the Ctek on for 24 hours and according to it everything got the green light at the end of the period before I disconnected. However the vehicle kept telling me low battery start engine for the next couple of days and only gone now after a 50 mile round trip - auto start/stop is now working for the first time I can remember in ages too Confused

Kinda worried now about leaving it at an airport if I go away - although not much chance of that for the foreseeable future Rolling Eyes

I'm fitting towbar and elec this weekend so looks like the ctek will be getting regular use now Banging Head Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #499535 Sun Jun 26 2016 2:34pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

I know how you feel Muddy! During the winter (August to June in this part of the world) I was putting the car on charge every other day. Rather like having a plug-in hybrid without the fuel economies or tax breaks. I have sent a query to LRCR to see if this is normal, but have not had a response. Will keep you advised.

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #499536 Sun Jun 26 2016 3:14pm
philmw

Update on the update: Not working this morning despite being on the CTEK over the weekend.

Now just need to find a dealership I can trust. 

Post #500227 Wed Jul 06 2016 8:23am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

It's been just over a week since I used the ctek and following a couple of days parked the stop/start isn't working again and low battery warning back Shocked

I've come to the conclusion it thinks it's a Tesla and needs charging every night - pity it still needs diesel as well Rolling Eyes

Someone on discosportforum said it could be a problem with system not shutting down according to his dealer so they disconnected battery to reset - I've tried this and will see if it makes a difference - beware I dropped spanner in engine bay during disconnect and had to dismantle half the engine to get it out Embarassed

Failing this it's either the dashcam or faulty battery and trip to dealer Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #500232 Wed Jul 06 2016 9:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>