RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > LED Trailer Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
LED Trailer Lights

I bought a trailer and the lights don't work (old/corroded whatever), so I went and bought some magnetic ones that I could swap around if necessary. I've got LEDs on my car, so thought it'd be nice to replicate that on the trailer and bought a set with LEDs

All well and good but when I wired them up, despite all working fine on demand (stop, side and direction), the indicators constantly pulse a weaker light when not "in use", bit like the hazards being on but not half as bright.

OK, obviously the joys of Canbus at play here. Anyone tell me how I can overcome this? Different lights is not an option! I believe I need to get a resistor in the circuit someplace - what resistor, would I get away with only one, where would I get one?

I'm thinking that I could maybe add one into the circuit by the fuseholder in the boot.

I'm also minded to just leave it as certainly during the day its hardly noticeable and the normal operation of the lights isn't affected.

Post #497642 Thu Jun 02 2016 10:27am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

You can purchase gold resistors off ebay.

Yes get 2 !

They need to be fitted on the trailer side. (not the car)

I would do it, otherwise the car won't know a trailer is connected and therefore won't disable suspension height adjustments and reversing sensors etc. when you have a trailer

Post #497644 Thu Jun 02 2016 11:05am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Or should I be using a Universal Bypass Relay like below?

https://www.towbars-uk.co.uk/page/19/relay/

Post #497692 Fri Jun 03 2016 8:47am
Andy K

You don't need a bypass relay.

Try fitting these to the trailer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-LIGHTS-LED-B...rmvSB=true

Post #497700 Fri Jun 03 2016 10:45am
Jeep948

Scotland 

Further to the information on this thread I have the 'IN-LINE CANBUS LOAD RESISTORS' fitted to my trailer and still the indicators pulse, has anyone any other suggestions as to another fix? Thanks in Advance

Post #516431 Wed Feb 01 2017 11:13am
jaxx

Spain 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I was stopped a few weeks ago by Spanish police in the Pyrenees late at night due to my incandescent trailer lights being out etc. forced me to a nearby garage where I could get bulbs. I just managed to get 1 that worked, after they left I bolted home half frozen. I bought a set of LEDs from Amazon and had a real nightmare to get them to work etc, however, i found that the wiring on the lamps did not match the correct positions on the plug so i set about going through all the possibilities i could think of. I even bought a cheap digital Plug/socket tester and this really is a must for LEDs, anyways on the JLR schematics nothing worked for me. where the brown and black from the Lamps should go to pins 7 and 5 for the tail/running lights i found this should have been the blue wires normally for the Fog etc. originally i have 7 pin socket on the trailer to 13 pins on the car etc so i rewired this and it worked with the blue wires connected to pin 4 and black and brown connected to pin 3 normally the ground etc. after this i installed a 13 pin plug on the trailer end and this gave me reversing lights as well via pin 8. Could run another wire through pin 2 and get the Fog lamps going, however, i don't see the need.

After earlier reading all the posts on this subjects i ordered resisters etc thinking this could be the problem, however, all my connected trailer lights are working fine with no resistors etc. But i do not have my dash trailer warming lamp now. when the eventually arrive i will install them to see if I get my dash lamp back

I was days at this and i even know the 7 and 13 pin connections of the bat

cheers

George

Last edited by jaxx on Mon Jan 01 2018 10:52pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #544531 Mon Jan 01 2018 6:47pm
Andy K

Do find that:

The trailer indicators flicker when they should be off ?

The rear parking sensors still work with a trailer connected ?

Post #544545 Mon Jan 01 2018 8:37pm
jaxx

No flicker at all

i will check the parking sensors in the morning, however, I'm led to believe they are supposed to be disabled when the trailer is connected
cheers

Post #544554 Mon Jan 01 2018 10:50pm
jaxx

Rear Parking Sensors working fine, however, I Guess they should be disabled, no worry for me though.

I installed load resistors today but no luck on the Trailer Dash Light coming back on. I may give up on this part as i cannot find any info on this problem. Anyways I have all the lights I need now so no more worry I will get stopped late at night in the freezing cold

cheers

Post #544682 Wed Jan 03 2018 4:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1