Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > Great car, Autobiography a bit underwhelming
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

A_J

United Kingdom 
Great car, Autobiography a bit underwhelming

Hello All,

New member here, car delivered yesterday and love it so far! RRS ATB mariana black/ ebony/ grey veneer + privacy. (Pics below)

Decided to go for a cancelled order that became available as my old shape RRS was stolen a few weeks back and didn't want to wait for the build time.

Things I like so far:
Colour - Mariana looks really cool
Stereo - Haven't really heard the normal stereo, but the meridian is impressive
Climate seats are nice
High beam assist
Body colour side sills

Things not so good:
Mood lighting - this doesn't seem to do much?
Space - not sure where its gone the overall dimensions seem similar to the old rrs but the boot is a lot smaller - any thoughts?
Tech - I expected a bit more tech as standard with the autobiography, and perhaps a hse dynamic with 10k of extras would be better value for money - just a thought not a massive complaint.

Anyway hope to share more comments over the next few months Very Happy

Post #496293 Tue May 17 2016 1:33pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The space issue is common across the LR range it seems. The L405 FFRR has less boot space than the old L322. Doubtless the replacement Discovery will suffer too.

Mood lighting is a gimmick and designed purely to extract money from those who think a car is a mobile living room. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #496297 Tue May 17 2016 2:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The reduced boot is because LR have chosen to fit a stupid and useless design of rear seat system, they had o make room for the 5+2 system but the rest of us also had to suffer by getting the less than useful "recline" mechanism and a no more long flat boot floor. It's supposed also to give a bit more rear leg room for those on the rear seat but nobody that I have carried in the back has commented that there is a noticable amount more leg room over the L320. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #496301 Tue May 17 2016 2:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
A_J

United Kingdom 

Yep exactly doesnt seem mountains more space in the back and the fully flat seats when folded were useful in the previous model

Also it just a occurred but an option for reclining or pull out foot rests for rear passengers would have been a nice touch if changing the interior dimensions.

Post #496302 Tue May 17 2016 2:36pm
Tim in Scotland

BTW In the London sunshine the Mariannas Black looks almost like Loire Blue! Lovely motor, like you I had no wait for mine as I took a car that was going into build "as one of two cars destined for company cars for dealership directors" - it is an HSE Dynamic and it has only the factory options that are popular, nothing more and I couldn't change the spec so close to build. When I signed the order I wasn't sure that I would like the ride on the factory fitted 22" wheels as I had been used to 20" on previous cars, the ride on 22" is amazing, OK you maybe feel more bumps than you would with higher sidewalled wheels but the ride is miles better than any Audi, BMW or Porsche SUV that I have travelled in. I like the panoroof, although the opening version would have been nice rather than the fixed one and I would have added privacy glass anyway. I added the dealer fit front and rear polished stainless steel bash plates which look nice but you have to remove them to access the recovery eye mounting place so they don't actually have any protective use Offroad............... Clever thinking Land Rover! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Tue May 17 2016 2:49pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #496304 Tue May 17 2016 2:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The size problem is stopping myself and many other owners upgrading. Many disabled drivers have the RSS 10-13 model but the mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs we use just don't fit into the new model. The 5+2 option should have been optional, instead they have made a car worse than the one it's replacing. Many (me included) will have to look at alternative manufacturers unless LR grow a brain and realise people want space to load things and have a level floor, so won't be purchasing anymore RRS unless redesigned again. My current one can get my ramps and mobility scooter without any disassembly, do disappointing ion test driving the new one, the dealer seemed annoyed that he lost the sale. The Motability scheme has dropped any remaining LR models from the availability, not because of price (you pay extra for these models), but because size of load compartment is to small to warrant use, this was after disabled people wrote in complaining after their cars were "updated" most only just coming up to end of contracts.
Why oh why did LR make such a bad mistake in design, what owners have now is less space, poorer rear seats and crap +2 capability which 95% of owners would never use. Censored Censored John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #496305 Tue May 17 2016 2:49pm
Tim in Scotland

5+2 is still optional, it isn't standard fit but the 5 seat RRS2 seems to have inherited the rear bench from the 5+2. The other thing is the rear overhang of the L494 is less so the wheelbase is longer to allow for LR to answer the other criticism of L320 - difficult access to the rear cabin by fitting a longer back door on each side. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #496306 Tue May 17 2016 2:55pm
A_J

United Kingdom 

Def agree on the opening panoramic Tim, was the only thing that had me second guessing on the car, but decided the sky light roof would be ok as the deal on the ATB was pretty good.

Any pics of the steel bash plates btw? Sounds like would look nice.

Post #496308 Tue May 17 2016 3:11pm
A_J

United Kingdom 

Equally annoyed john, seems like an land rover has really compromised the load space which goes against the reason most people pick large 4x4s, otherwise would have gone for an evoque!

Post #496312 Tue May 17 2016 3:25pm
Tim in Scotland

A_J, the front view isn't a great one so will try to get another later, but here it is

Rear

Here's another front one taken out of my hotel room window......

2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #496316 Tue May 17 2016 3:51pm
A_J

United Kingdom 

Thanks those look brill! Bit soon for changes to the car but thosell be on my wish list. Nice number plate too!

Post #496317 Tue May 17 2016 3:58pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
you have to remove them to access the recovery eye mounting place so they don't actually have any protective use Offroad............... Clever thinking Land Rover!

Is that the screw in "recovery eye"? The one that you have to unscrew and move to the other end of the car if you need it there next time? When I asked a salesman about it and the lack of practicality, he just shrugged. Obviously, for all of LR's marketing hype about off road ability, they don't really expect anyone to use that ability. Which makes the whole thing an expensive waste of time really.

I wonder if the D5 will be likewise afflicted. At least the Defender replacement won't be afflicted - there won't be a Defender replacement.

Interesting that Autocar rated the new Bentley Ugly-thing a better luxury 4x4 than the FFRR SVA/B. Indeed, they said that the Bentley is the only luxury 4x4. I bet LR are going to love that! Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #496337 Tue May 17 2016 6:50pm
Tim in Scotland

That's the one except I now have one for each end of the car.................. At huge extra cost! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #496339 Tue May 17 2016 6:54pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Off Topic I wonder what sort of force one of the screw in recovery eyes can take Tim Shocked especially as the force is a lot more when stuck in the mud with the suction effect! Would you feel confident putting a shackle through it and giving it a bit of a snatch Question 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #496344 Tue May 17 2016 7:25pm
Tim in Scotland

In a word................................ NO! But my serious mud plugging days are very very few and far between now and for that sort of stuff I have a proper off-roader in addition to thr RRS................... With Jate rings all round and a hydraulic winch front and rear! It also runs sensible offroad 16" BFG MTRs and I would be very concerned about the RRS's paintwork taking it to these sort of places
[URL=]

[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

I have though taken my current RRS and previous Evqoues and FFRR as well as my 90 on this lovely lane
[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

And most of my offroading is now far more sociable like this run over the NE shoulder of Ben Lomond on 8th May this year, all on rough access roads, me, my best friend and my 90 having lunch looking west over Loch Lomond to the Arrochar Alps
https://sgrc.smugmug.com/Comer-8-May-2016/n-sq5Crn/i-m3MNC34/A

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #496351 Tue May 17 2016 8:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1