RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Tow Bar and Bike Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

nickp

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
Tow Bar and Bike Rack

After some advice . I am looking to get a bike rack and tow bar . Currently I do not have a tow bar fitted but see that LR do two types. They only seem to recommend the fixed type of tow bar to use with a bike rack ? Is this correct ? or can I use the removeable tow bar from LR with a third party bike rack.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome .

Post #4359 Mon Oct 31 2005 1:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Nick they are right - I have the removable one and it is a totally different system to the one I had on my L322 RR where I had the detachable towhook adapted to take my ex Freelander (and now the same as Disco and Sport) bike rack.
I managed to find a suitable one that fits on the rear door in the local halfords summer sale for £24..................
Don't even be tempted to go down the route of one of those racks that secure onto the actual tow ball...... they are not up to the job. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Mon Oct 31 2005 2:07pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #4360 Mon Oct 31 2005 2:05pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

The detachable tow bar is better - it's neater as you can put it away when not in use. It works fine with bike racks. I have a Thule RideOn 3-bike rack. I will post some photos soon.
Have a look at the thread in the Disco3 group on the same subject
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1690 Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #4361 Mon Oct 31 2005 2:06pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

If you need the quick release tow hitch you can buy the ball part from the dealer parts dept. It will fit your car no problem as you already have the female part in the car itself.

I posted about this some time back:

The Dealer says...
Spoke to the parts dept at Sturgess here in Leics and they say that it does seem that you can buy the removable tow hook on it's own for £200 plus VAT and just plug it into any RRS.

I am asking myself is it worth saving £165 and NOT having the electrics all done in the factory...It would be just my luck if I didn't spec the electrics then I found I really neeeded to tow something on the open road legally and had to pay over the odds to have the electrics done. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4362 Mon Oct 31 2005 2:17pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I have some pics of my Thule RideOn rack now in my gallery (mainly for the D3 guys). I'll try to get some pics of it attached to the car at the weekend. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #4370 Mon Oct 31 2005 3:03pm
nickp

Thanks for the quick replies , much appreciated .

Look forward to seeing the pictures of the rack on the car mpwox11.

Post #4373 Mon Oct 31 2005 3:19pm
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I Have this one and for 2 bikes you cant go wrong for the price.

Neil

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?d=31&t=154&p=0&op= 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #4396 Mon Oct 31 2005 9:48pm
Pelyma

England 

Pendel do great towball racks, up to 4 bikes and it is as solid as a rock.

Post #4917 Mon Nov 07 2005 5:14pm
nickp

Pelyma - What tow bar do you suggest to go with these racks ?

Post #4918 Mon Nov 07 2005 5:21pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Nickp, I have a Pendle 3 bike rack that fits to the tow ball on my Disco3. It works a treat, is as solid as a rock, and can actually carry 4 bikes with ease. I leave the fitting pemanently on the detachable tow ball, so it is very easy and quick to put the rack on and off. Pendle supplied by mail order, next day delivery, and they are very knowledgable about what rack to use with which car. It is the offset amount (ie how far the rack bends away from the vehicle before it holds its first bike) which matters most - to stop the handlebars on the bike catching the rear window of the car. If you ask them they will tell you which to use for the Disco3 which I imagine willl be the same one to use on the RRS.

Contact for Pendle is :

www.pendle-bike.co.uk

Pendle Engineering Ltd
Unit 6
Pendle Industrial Estate
Southfield Street
Nelson
Lancashire
BB9 0LD

Tel: 01282 699 555

Post #4936 Mon Nov 07 2005 8:48pm
Pelyma

England 

Exactly as Smarticus said! Bearing in mind I got mine in January when most people still had not seen a D3 these guys (it was a girl actually!) knew exactly what would fit. You can use the HD towbar and fit it behind the ball (I assume the same is available for RRS) but I prefer the look of the detachable. Smarticus's idea of leaving it on all the time would work very well.

Post #4960 Tue Nov 08 2005 10:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1