RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Dealership Feedback > Nice try but didn't get away with it!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

BiffoBear

United Kingdom 
Nice try but didn't get away with it!

Bought a 2012 RRS from a LR main dealer two weeks ago. When I viewed the car the previous week, it didn't have a towball and when they told me the price for towball and electrics I declined and said I'd make other arrangements. A few days before collecting the car they called me and offered me a detachable towball and electrics fitted for just the price of the towball. OK I said.

After a week of ownership, I find an old towball key stuck into the foam boot tray. So I think, it probably did have a towball before and hence electrics were almost certainly already fitted. I didn't take off the plastic panel when I viewed the car so didn't see the 13-pin socket.

Yesterday, the new V5 came in the post and by luck, I managed to locate the previous owner and send him a message on facebook. He was v helpful and confirmed that the car did indeed have a towball and electrics when he owned it and he had left the towball in the stowage tray.

I contacted the dealer and told them I had been misled and wanted my money back. Surprisingly, they agreed but they've asked for the new towball back.

I'm not going to mention who the dealer was as they've agreed to refund me but I am pi**ed off that they tried it on.

I've asked them to give me the towball that the previous owner had left in the car but I'm not hopeful.

Biffo 2016 L494 SDV8 AB
2014 Nissan Leaf Tekna
1989 Toyota MR2 MK1b

Post #490022 Fri Mar 04 2016 10:56pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Shocked shocking behaviour but unfortunately there are some dealers that will try it on, no harm in naming and shaming on here as even though they have agreed to refund your money, it may stop other people on here getting ripped off by the same dealer!

Welcome to the forum and Enjoy your new car Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #490023 Fri Mar 04 2016 11:03pm
Mr Rusty

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Can't believe they would try that for a few extra bucks! Dear oh dear! Hope you have other dealers around to choose your servicing with. Neutral 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
2012 RRS HSE SDV6, Sumatra Black and Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone
BMW 5 series tourer, Gone

Post #490028 Fri Mar 04 2016 11:49pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

They have actually committed a criminal offence i.e. Obtaining money by deception.

If they refuse to provide you with the old tow bar tell them you will be going to the Police. I would definitely let my local Trading Standards dept know what had happened just to protect anyone in the future.

Jim

Post #490035 Sat Mar 05 2016 3:09am
Mr Rusty

Agreed Jim that's shocking Neutral 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone

Post #490046 Sat Mar 05 2016 7:56am
BiffoBear

United Kingdom 

jim4244 wrote:
They have actually committed a criminal offence i.e. Obtaining money by deception.

If they refuse to provide you with the old tow bar tell them you will be going to the Police. I would definitely let my local Trading Standards dept know what had happened just to protect anyone in the future.

Jim

Not sure about going to the Old Bill. The car didn't have a towball when I viewed it pre-purchase and it wasn't listed in the advert. The dealer I bought it from is part of a chain and they weren't the original branch that bought the car so they may not have known the owner had left the towball in the boot.

Biffo 2016 L494 SDV8 AB
2014 Nissan Leaf Tekna
1989 Toyota MR2 MK1b

Post #490048 Sat Mar 05 2016 8:07am
Mr Rusty

Imho
What would you have thought if they didn't know if had satnav then when they did, then tried to charge you extra for it?
Arguably if they apologised and said sorry, it's actually got extra kit with didn't know about so we need to ask more for the car then that might be ok. Although not great. But that's not the way they did it as I understand. Shocked 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone

Post #490049 Sat Mar 05 2016 8:34am
fdhadi

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Because the dealer has tried to deceive you, I would expect them out of common courtesy to refund any payments for the tow ball and tell you to keep the new one. This is the least they could do.

Post #490051 Sat Mar 05 2016 8:56am
Mr Rusty

Btw
Did you try the old key in the 'new' towbar? Assume it was the same towbar the previous owner had, repackaged as a new one? Unless I understood this wrong?
Thumbs Up 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone

Post #490052 Sat Mar 05 2016 9:05am
BiffoBear

United Kingdom 

Yep, tried it, old key didn't fit new towball. New one has no signs of use so looks fairly certain it isn't the original. 2016 L494 SDV8 AB
2014 Nissan Leaf Tekna
1989 Toyota MR2 MK1b

Post #490058 Sat Mar 05 2016 9:22am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Biffo, they told you that they would fit the electrics for you. When you checked with the previous owner he confirmed to you that electrics were already fitted when he sold the car!

Jim

Post #490061 Sat Mar 05 2016 9:38am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

It's not often I defend a dealer but reading BiffoBear post I think I know what's happened here Embarassed

The car came from another dealer and I reckon the towbar disappeared there and as you say it wasn't mentioned on the details so nobody knew until it was being prepared for you. The selling dealer then realized it had tow electrics so offered you a new towbar but should of explained it already had electrics - maybe down to lack of communication between staff at dealer Confused

At the end of the day they have offered to refund the towbar and this could of been a genuine mistake so I would give the dealer the benefit of the doubt. I've seen a lot worse Big Cry

Oh - and welcome Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #490082 Sat Mar 05 2016 2:03pm
nigel52

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Buckster wrote:
Shocked shocking behaviour but unfortunately there are some dealers that will try it on, no harm in naming and shaming on here as even though they have agreed to refund your money, it may stop other people on here getting ripped off by the same dealer!

Welcome to the forum and Enjoy your new car Thumbs Up

Agree with Buck - shocking and deceitful. Name and Shame and find another dealer or Indie to do the Sevicing as you will never know if they are trying it on. Trust has been lost. Current Merc GLE 3.5d 2016 model, 2011 RRS HSE standard
Previous 2012 FL2 liked but boot too small
Previous to LR's 3 x Merc E320 estates - fantastic load carriers and long distance cruisers, ultra reliable. Only changed as needed a 4x4 high tow vehicle. Did have a 1955 early LR drop down windscreen and fuel tank under the drivers seat; again very reliable and super rugged.

Post #490104 Sat Mar 05 2016 8:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1