RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > The Old Coach Road, Lake District
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Citizen55

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Tonga Green
The Old Coach Road, Lake District

I'm heading up to the Lakes this weekend and was looking for some green lanes - The Old Coach Road looks fairly nice - any advice? Can RRS do this OK? Am on 275/40/20 - doesn't look too hardcore, but I don't want to hurt my car?
Smile 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.2 s/c with Arden bodykit

Post #488510 Mon Feb 22 2016 4:25pm
tayaste

United Kingdom 

It might be ok this time of year, I last went up August time and suffered some bramble rash, nothing a quick polish didn't sort. You'll be fine Thumbs Up I'd advise going with someone in case you get stuck but it's not too bad Thumbs Up 

Post #488533 Mon Feb 22 2016 7:17pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

In view of all the rain that has fallen on that area this winter I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of washouts on the trail. I drove it way back in 2003 or 4 and my Defender was featured in an article by journo Bob Morrison in LRM magazine, it was quite bad in places back then and I know at one stage a Freelander got very stuck in a kind of sink hole that opened up on the edge of one part of the trail 4 or years ago. IIRC you can search on the GLASS website and you should get news of the condition of it there, also the Lake District National park website has a section for driving the rights of way tracks in the park and that should also give a good indication of the state of the trails throughout the area. If you cannot find any open routes in the Lakes a trip over to Weardale where there are numerous drove roads and rights of way that even Freelanders and Evoques can drive with a bit of care. You may find that your 20" low proile tyres might suffer a bit and the treads may clog up quickly if the trak is very wet, when I drove the Old Coach Road most of it was well gravelled and the pot holes not too bad, it was a relatively easy drive for a defender90 on all terrain tyres. I would concur with Tayaste regarding not going over it on your own, especially in an RRS which tends to act a bit like a red rag to the antis for its reputation as a Footballer's and WAG's chavmobile on the rare occassions that one does venture offroad. I you fancy venturing a bit further north then in April the Scottish Green Road Club will be having one of their Sunday drives in the hills around the West side of Loch Lomond and the trails there are a) private roads behind locked gates and b) suitable for any LR product. There will also be other modern LR products as well as plenty of Disco1's and 2's Defenders and Series Land Rovers to help out if you get into trouble! Take a look at the home page for www.scotgrc.co.uk and look in the galleries for Sloy or Glenfalloch 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #488542 Mon Feb 22 2016 7:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Citizen55

Thanks for the replies guys, a bit disappointing, was keen on it, but obviously I don't want to get stuck and I don't have anyone else to go with. From what I have read in recent articles, the road has been fixed up .. hmm, dunno what to do.

But on another point, Tim you said an RRS is like a red flag to the antis - what do you mean? I'm not expecting a lynch mob out there, am I? Shocked 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.2 s/c with Arden bodykit

Post #488662 Tue Feb 23 2016 2:12pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

There are some pics on Disco 3 forum in the offroad section titled offroading in Cumbria. There are some pics of what state the Old Coach Road is in now and I would say it's definitely not somewhere you should venture on your own!! Laughing Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #488683 Tue Feb 23 2016 5:17pm
Citizen55

Haha yep, found them thanks, also saw some on Facebook (same outing by the looks) https://www.facebook.com/groups/7915106708...314736938/ - Haha I'm glad I asked - no way I am taking my car up there in that state. 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.2 s/c with Arden bodykit

Post #488749 Wed Feb 24 2016 8:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1