RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Satnav Software Update £352!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

I am very, very happy with my RRS but the sat nav really does let it down.

My son has a Renault Megane RS and they use Tom Tom as the supplier for their sat navs. We watch a lot of football away games and most times when we go to a new place we take my son's car because the sat nav is brilliant at alerting traffic problems and providing better alternative routes.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #485836 Tue Jan 26 2016 11:21pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

We shouldn't hold our breath. The Discovery Sport has a newer system and I don't hear people raving about it.

Leaving aside the poor navigation software, the system is hampered from the get-go by a low resolution screen and hopelessly outdated hardware. In time, the string of "nice car, shame about the sat nav" reviews will start to count against them in terms of sales.

There will at some point be a facelifted RR/RRS which will have their latest effort and I can't help but feel it will still feel like "a day late and a dollar short". Why isn't it a higher priority? Perhaps the insufferably smug Gerry McGovern should stop congratulating himself so often...

For all their current sales success, I do think JLR face some significant hurdles - meeting emissions regs, achieving critical mass with Jaguar, keeping up with the competition. Most worrying is they appear to have underestimated the importance of software in future cars. It's a core competence which they subcontract out at their peril. Just watch what Apple and Google do in the next decade. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #485842 Wed Jan 27 2016 6:07am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

"Why isn't it a higher priority? Perhaps the insufferably smug Gerry McGovern should stop congratulating himself so often...

For all their current sales success, I do think JLR face some significant hurdles - meeting emissions regs, achieving critical mass with Jaguar, keeping up with the competition. Most worrying is they appear to have underestimated the importance of software in future cars. It's a core competence which they subcontract out at their peril. Just watch what Apple and Google do in the next decade."

Mark, couldn't agree more. As I previously said, I love my RRS so don't like bashing LR but some of the technology is woeful. Priorities is a bit of an issue for LR. I don't want to be able to drive my car by remote control. But I do want it to help me get from A to B better and quicker than it currently does and be on at least an equal footing with other manufacturers. I have a need for that far more often than a need to be able to drive my car via remote control!

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #485869 Wed Jan 27 2016 1:01pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Yes, you get the impression that the software agenda is driven by a bunch of geeky hot-heads who are much keener on writing the "Next Best Thing" than getting what's already there up to a really good and bullet-proof standard. A dose of commercial realism is what's needed.

Car remote control, transparent bonnet, in control apps, I rest my case.

They could do a lot worse than just licence the navigation from TomTom, dress it up (not mess it up) with their own branding and be best of breed. I'm actually surprised TomTom hasn't made more progress as an OEM vendor. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #485871 Wed Jan 27 2016 1:14pm
Chillbrazil

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Ipanema Sand

Also agree, my brothers 3 year old c class had a fantastic sat nav and in a car almost the cost. Even had as standard brake hold when in traffic. Come on LR.

Post #485889 Wed Jan 27 2016 6:24pm
wilf

Not a built-in car satnav around that compares with a decent TomTom IMHO. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #485904 Wed Jan 27 2016 8:29pm
DrFox1969

Australia 

Given the comments on the standard and performance of the RRS satnav, has anyone tried out the Sygic Car Navigation from In Control Apps?

App store suggests it is optimized to work with cars in built infotainment system. Available for Jaguar Land Rover cars via the in Control app.

2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #487324 Sat Feb 13 2016 1:52am
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Yes, is OK. But to me so s the car's system and the latter is linked to the TFT dash and HUD. 

Post #487329 Sat Feb 13 2016 8:13am
eddkawasaki

United Kingdom 

When i tried it, every time it gave a command it stopped the radio and did not put it back on. uninstalled..... Personally i find the normal sat nav perfectly effective. incontrol apps has to be my biggest regret of this car, £350 or 4 tanks of fuel wasted!. well that and not gettting an SVR Twisted Evil

Post #487337 Sat Feb 13 2016 9:03am
Dave777

United Kingdom 

Phil, is the sat nav supposed to put the nav details on the dash TFT as well but mine doesn't seem to? MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #487353 Sat Feb 13 2016 11:28am
philmw

Only turn information when approaching a junction. 

Post #487354 Sat Feb 13 2016 12:08pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

Thanks. Didn't even notice that but will look again. I have a tomtom For the speed cameras so tend to use that mostly. MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #487397 Sat Feb 13 2016 10:03pm
philmw

Can load camera locations onto the car's system. 

Post #487404 Sat Feb 13 2016 10:54pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

Yeah I saw that. I have to say that the TomTom is very good though and updates most days so very easy apart from trailing wires. I may hardwire it and add cameras to sat nav as well for belt and braces! MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #487406 Sat Feb 13 2016 11:29pm
PetesRRS

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Fuji White

philmw wrote:
Can load camera locations onto the car's system.

That sounds great to me. Where do you get the info and how do you download it. I am in Australia. Fixed speed and red light cameras abound including point to point.
Cheers

Post #487411 Sun Feb 14 2016 5:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>