RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How To - AMK Suspension Compressor Replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black
How To - AMK Suspension Compressor Replacement

I don't know if this will be of any interest to anyone over here, but I posted it up over on Disco3 (http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic84165.html). It is (if you have not guessed already) a guide to replace the air suspension compressor, with the new style AMK compressor. It was fitted to a Disco 3, but the procedure is exactly the same for the RRS. Enjoy Thumbs Up

In the box, you will receive:

Click image to enlarge

New compressor and bracket
New upper and lower covers
New compressor relay
Various pipework, new pipe union, and a brass union
Various bolts and screws

The only thing I would say is missing from this kit, are the 3 captive nuts that hold the bracket onto the chassis, which will more than likely break when removing the bolts.

Click image to enlarge

Part number is RYH500170, and you need 3 of them

Start by removing lower cover, which is held on by 3 bolts. One at the front, one at the rear, and one in the bottom of the cover, as pictured

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Next, if the inlet and exhaust pipes come out, fair enough, but they both need cut anyway to fit the new pipework. Cut them as close to the ridge in the pipe as possible. The more you have, the easier it will be later on

Click image to enlarge

Remove the pipe into the blue union on the dryer. This one should be quick release, push in the blue collar, and pull the pipe out. If the pipe is seized into the dryer, just cut it. The pipe is replaced too There may be a bit of air pressure released when this pipe is pulled out
Click image to enlarge

Disconnect the 2 electrical connectors, and remove the 2 lower bolts, that you can just about make out here.
Click image to enlarge

The top bolt is very awkward to get at. You need just the right length of extension to get onto the bolt head. It is directly above the left hand lower bolt, roughly here. Alternatively, lever the old bracket off the chassis. If it breaks, it breaks. It is no longer needed. Or the captive nut may break up, and the compressor can be removed from the car.
Click image to enlarge

And as seen with the compressor off, for reference
Click image to enlarge

Roughly how the inlet/exhaust pipework sits when fitted to the car
Click image to enlarge

Pull the old top cover out of the way. Now, the pipe (with the blue collar) that was pushed into the dryer needs to be replaced. It is at the front of the valve block inside the compressor cover. Undo the old union (12mm spanner) and discard pipe and union
Click image to enlarge

New pipe on top
Click image to enlarge

Fit the new union, and pull the white plastic insert out. It is only there to keep both part of said union together for fitting.

Click image to enlarge

Place the top cover roughly in the correct place. Loosely fit the new compressor and bracket to the chassis. As you can see, you can now get access to the top bolt with a ratchet spanner, which is much easier than before. Land Rover must have thought about this!
I found it easier to only fit the top bolt and let the compressor hang down a bit, to allow access to the inlet/exhaust pipework
Click image to enlarge

The inlet pipe (8mm pipe) gets joined as seen here, and routed over the top of the compressor, and into the inlet on the side of the compressor as seen here:
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The exhaust pipe (6mm pipe) gets joined as seen here. I would advise to cut it a bit lower than I have done here, as it was a bit awkward joining it together.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now, back to the other pipe. Fit the new pipe. The end with the 180 degree loop goes into the valve block, and the other end fits into the new compressor
Click image to enlarge

Join both connectors up, and refit the lower cover. In the bag there are 2 black screws, and a 10mm bolt. Both screws go in the outside tabs of the cover, and the 10mm is fitted to the bracket. It cuts its own thread on the way in.

Fit the new relay. It lives in the engine bay fuse box. Clear fault codes if you have an FCR. If you don't, the compressor should still run anyway, but there will be a fault stored in the memory of the ECU.

I can confirm that the compressor will still run on the old software, and even after an extended road test, there were no warning lights, and seemed to be no issues. The customer has been informed that there will be a software update in the near future, and will rebook when that is available. It may have been my imagination, but the car seemed to pick itself up from access height a lot quicker than the original compressor ever did, and seems to run a fair bit quieter, as it is mounted on rubber mounts, and is sprung on the bracket.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #358187 Fri Sep 28 2012 6:11pm
kav1187

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Excellent write up Mikey! This was one of the main components I was worried about when buying a RRS but it seems it's not too difficult a swap. Good work! Thumbs Up

Post #358806 Fri Oct 05 2012 8:42am
shepp

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Great write up disco mikey
I reckoned my old one earlier this year due to internal leak but definitely like to upgrade in the future. Is the new pump the same price?

Post #358815 Fri Oct 05 2012 9:01am
Disco_Mikey

IIRC, the new one is cheaper than the old one Thumbs Up

Post #358816 Fri Oct 05 2012 9:11am
shepp

Nice one.
Very good news for me that the input and exhaust pipes need cutting. I could not remove the input and had to recon it in situ under the car

Post #358829 Fri Oct 05 2012 11:10am
shepp

Nice one.
Very good news for me that the input and exhaust pipes need cutting. I could not remove the input and had to recon it in situ under the car

Post #358830 Fri Oct 05 2012 11:10am
RRS_PAT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Hi All,

I have had this replaced at the dealer and I now occasionally get a Suspension fault. This is about all it says, it doesnt prevent the car from going up or down (like it said before the replacement).

This only seems to happen on long journeys - possibly when I travel at speed - not my very short daily commute.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, or is it another trip to the dealer Rolling Eyes

Thanks,

Pat 2011 Autobiography Santorini Black

Post #365222 Mon Dec 03 2012 8:31am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Just posting this SSM for reference regarding replacement of compressor from Hitachi to AMK:

Quote:
Reference
SSM63937

Models
LR4 / L319
LR3 / L319
Range Rover / L322
Range Rover Sport / L320

Title
AMK Compressor Installation

Category
Chassis

Last modified
11-Mar-2013 00:00:00

Symptom
304000 Suspension System

Content
Issue:
AMK Compressors suspected as being faulty after a recent replacement from Hitachi to an AMK compressor. The customer may experience an intermittent fault resulting in the air suspension warning lamp being illuminated. Fault code fault code C1A36-01 may also be present.

Cause:
New AMK software not being installed when a new compressor is fitted.

Action:
Where a vehicle is found to be within the VIN range of Technical Service Bulletins LTB00420v2 or LTB00452v2 it is imperative that when replacing an air suspension compressor the software is updated.
For vehicles outside of warranty and when selling a compressor kit over the counter please make the purchaser aware that there is software required. Once the compressor is fitted to the vehicle they would need to bring the vehicle back in for the software download.

Also, for the... 3 of us with Rover Specialties rock sliders on their Sport (but the same issue may affect Disco3/4 owners), or owners with similar rock sliders extending under the chassis to protect the compressor, be aware that the new bracket of the AMK unit hangs a bit lower than the old design. The bracket may interfere when attempting to re-fit the sliders after replacement, even with the lower plastic cover removed. My 2013 LR4 is currently being fitted for Tactical 4x4 rock sliders (similar to the Rover Specialties') and the company is manufacturing a slightly modified bracket for the AMK compressor, made of thinner steel, which will allow the compressor to sit a bit higher within the upper cover and eliminate the issue. Here is a photo of the original bracket, and template of the modified one they are fabricating for me (and for other owners of their sliders with the new compressor fitted):

Original bracket:
Click image to enlarge

Modified bracket (template only):
Click image to enlarge

Post #377408 Mon Mar 18 2013 8:44pm
olikk23

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue
spare parts

Hi,

great thread, love it, does anyone know where i can get all the fitmnts for this AMK compressor, I have the unit but no pipes & casing etc?

thanks in advnce.

Paul

Post #429938 Wed Jul 09 2014 3:09pm
liverpool_luke

United Kingdom 

I'm sorry to add to an old thred just wanted to ask a question regarding the software update for this, I am going to replace a friend's compressor tomorrow for this newer one following the thred, can I update the software with a hawked at all ?

Post #478685 Tue Nov 03 2015 7:41pm
Disco_Mikey

I don't believe the Hawkeye is capable of any reflashing

Post #478701 Tue Nov 03 2015 8:56pm
liverpool_luke

United Kingdom 

Anyone around Liverpool area that can update it for me?

I can get hold of LR SSD cable I think, is this able to do it?

Post #478884 Thu Nov 05 2015 7:53am
liverpool_luke

United Kingdom 

Supposedly had the software updated by small Indy garage , I have now changed the compressor twice and still the same fault, can anyone adivce what the software number should be?

Post #481683 Sat Dec 05 2015 7:43am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

There are two software versions for the AMK - 9H22-5A919-AA and 9H2M-5A919-AA. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #481686 Sat Dec 05 2015 8:54am
Disco_Mikey

And they are specific between ARC/non-ARC Thumbs Up

Post #481688 Sat Dec 05 2015 9:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>