RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > HDC is dead. Long live HDC!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Hedders007

HDC is dead. Long live HDC!

Hi folks,

I am looking for advice especially from those with extensive experience off-road in a recent RRS.
Mine has Hill Descent Control like all recent cars, but as a MY16, also has All Terrain Progress Control.

I have used both HDC and ATPC down some moderately steep slippery slopes and find that ATPC seems to do exactly the same as HDC, although there are probably many differences that I am unaware of despite extensively reading the manual. ATPC obviously gives the option to move off, continue and go up hills which HDC obviously does not do. I am aware that HDC can be used up to about 11MPH faster downhill that ATPC, but 19MPH seems more sensible to me than 30 MPH on a steep slippery hill anyway!

My question is therefore is there any need to ever use HDC if the car has ATPC available?

Driving tips and technical knowledge very welcome please!

Many thanks,

H

Post #479853 Sat Nov 14 2015 11:14pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Do you not have to engage ATPC when you want it rather than it being automatically engaged? I think having been brought up without these clever and very useful systems but also (even though I like to use the technology) I do sometimes like to just put the car into low ratio and drive it the same way as my Defender that doesn't have any electronics. What I am trying to get across is if you have ATPC then is it an "all or nothing" system ie it is on or off and you cannot tailor it to suit your driving? There was always the option to phase in or out the HDC using the cruise control buttons. If you have used it how do you like it, I haven't driven a car with the ATPC system yet, also does it still allow the Auto TR to select and deselect the HDC? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #479875 Sun Nov 15 2015 10:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Maidenmania

United Kingdom 

I used this device on my recent off road day.nthe instructor used it whilst going over rough terrain. I preferred it when I had control over the speed and braking if I'm honest although it did work well. 2008 Factory HST- Sold
Arrived 2016 HSE carpathian grey

Post #479879 Sun Nov 15 2015 10:57am
Hedders007

Hi Guys,

Surprised at the lack of responses from the many technical experts here!

I suppose my simple question is "Is there ever a time when HDC will do a better job than ATPC?".

Many thanks,

H.

Post #480500 Fri Nov 20 2015 2:01pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

You have kind of highlighted the key difference yourself.

ATPC - Will move the vehicle forward as a constant slow pace (which can be adjusted.

HDC - is solely for going down hills / slops / declines etc... Depending on the terrain, if you knew you were stopping at the end of the "obstacle" I don't see why you would use ATPC, which would not encourage a stopping of the vehicle.

As a facility on a vehicle which has only been out a couple of months I don't know why you would expect so many people to have the answers for you. As it will be the minority who have this, let alone use it in anger.

Post #480509 Fri Nov 20 2015 3:46pm
Hedders007

Thanks R444SPT,

I suppose what I'm after is what happens behind the scenes....
On the limited use I have given it I can't find a difference in performance between the two. However I seem to have a yearning for a bit more knowledge for when faced with a much more challenging descent and want to use the best and safest tool for the job.

Although ATPC is now standard on MY16 onwards, it has been available previously on earlier models as an option for £175....

Thanks,

H.

Post #480510 Fri Nov 20 2015 4:00pm
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 

Hi All,

I have been made aware of this thread and hopefully can provide a little more clarification for you.

HDC and ATPC are interlinked features as ATPC is developed off HDC.
This article summarises their connection: https://live.landrover.co.uk/technology/la...technology

ATPC is more useful in extreme off-road conditions, allowing you to go both up and down, whereas Hill Descent Control is more suitable for slippery descents.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Many thanks,
Pete Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #480924 Thu Nov 26 2015 3:15pm
Hedders007

Thanks Pete,

Can I therefore assume that both could therefore be used if arriving at the top of a steep slippery slope, meaning if using ATPC then just leave it in, of if driving manually, then select HDC....

....or, if using ATPC, switch over to HDC control before decent??

Spoilt for choice - just want to get this right BEFORE the event!

H.

Post #481013 Fri Nov 27 2015 2:09pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you're in ATPC already then just leave it and do the descent using its HDC function. If you're not in any mode then pressing the HDC button would seem to be the way to go. If the descent is one that you feel would benefit from assistance then selecting low range would be a sensible step too. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #481015 Fri Nov 27 2015 2:15pm
CRC@LandRover

United Kingdom 

Hi Hedders007

Thank you for your post.

When arriving at the top of a steep slippery slope, for a gradual and controlled descent, we would suggest selecting HDC prior to your descent down the slope.

Regards

Ryan Please note although Land Rover will try to assist you with your issue, we are unable to provide any technical advice. This account is available between 0900 and 17:00 hours Monday – Friday. Outside of this time if you require assistance, please drop us a Private Message and we'll get back to you.

Post #481271 Mon Nov 30 2015 1:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1