Home > General > bmw e60 530d to RRS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 
bmw e60 530d to RRS

Hi guys
T
his is my first post on here im looking to sell or part ex my 2007 bmw 530d msport as i need something bigger as i have 3 young kids and they need a lot of stuff.

iv been thinking about a bmw x5,vw Touareg and of course RRS and well i think i fancy the RRS as it just looks so much better than the other 2.

The wife drives it most of the time as i work away so im thinking the v6 2.7 will do, but im worried about how slow it will feel compared to the 530d as iv read they are under powered also reliability as if im away and it breaks down that would be a paid in the ass.

Also the interior seems a little dated with the green back lit screens compaired to the x5 and touareg how do you find them.

im only looking to spend about £12 to £13k so im looking at 2006 2007 models

The bmw is doing about 27-30 mpg on the school run and round the town is that about the same id get in the rrs 2.7

so what do you guys think id like to hear your thoughts do you think i would regret selling my bmw hahaha

Post #475232 Sun Oct 04 2015 11:31am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Welcome. Thumbs Up

The 2.7 isn't underpowered, it's just a matter of scale, and it has bags of torque available. A remap (and uprated intercooler and decat if you want to go further Mr. Green ) will help. Just try not to compare it with the BMW. Wink

Reliability: They aren't unreliable when looked after - that's key. They need preventitive maintainence and they are expensive to run in every way, but look after it and you won't regret owning one. Thumbs Up

Dated interior: Can't really say since I don't really give a damn as long as it's functional! Personally, I find the old fashioned buttons are easier/quicker to operate than fussy touchscreens and menus. Wink

Realistically, best MPG you're likely to get on school run driving is low 20s (I'm assuming the school run is moreorless urban here). The 30 barrier can be broken on longer, flowing trips, but most of us average from low to high 20s depenant on the balance of urban/country/motorway driving etc.

Most important thing is to do your homework and get reading (visit DISCO3.CO.UK too). A notable issue to read up on is the oil pump casing - mostly affecting 07 and 08 MY vehicles.

Good luck. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #475236 Sun Oct 04 2015 11:56am
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

thanks for the speedy reply.

what do you mean by preventive maintenance i service my car on time when it tells me to on the dash does the rrs have this feature.

If it fails its mot it gets fixed is this enough maintenance.

i had a golf tdi remapped years ago it made a big improvement so your saying the v6 2.7 responds good to a remap dont thing id bother with the other mods you mentioned.

they seems to be a big fluctuation in price

Post #475239 Sun Oct 04 2015 12:12pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

It does provide a service announcement which is yearly or every 15k (whichever is sooner). I service mine myself every 10k (~6 months) which I consider to be more adequate in that regard. I also replace my fuel and air filters at every service, unlike the schedule which specifies every 2nd or 3rd service respectively. Wink

For real preventitive maintainence, you need to try to replace things before they fail, but obviously this is a little harder if you aren't going DIY. Many things are simple, like the brake switch - they fail so often (and can wreak havoc - and so can a failed/bad brake bulb), that it's a good idea to replace them from time to time (cheap and 5 mins to fit). Thumbs Up

Changing drivetrain oils etc. early is also good. The main intercooler hose is a common failure point to, but again, easily sorted. EGRs can be blanked (this is easier on earlier vehicles - 05 and 06 MY, but can be done on all). Suspension bushes also wear quickly, and replaceing them in a timely manner or before they fail fully might save you a set of tyres. Keeping an eye on the battery and alternator voltages can avoid electrical issues and trouble starting come winter. The EPB is absolutely fine when kept well adjusted, but can jam when not. Wink

Some simple things like this can save all manner of trouble and hassle. Thumbs Up

The TDV6 does indeed respond very well to a remap - realistic gains being 35-40hp and 80-90Nm of torque. It's important to go with a reputable company like BAS or Alive Tuning; a bad remap could cost ££££ in damaged driveline components in the end. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #475242 Sun Oct 04 2015 12:53pm
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

great reply thanks.

im a mechanical technician in the power generation industry so am handy with the spanners so most of the stuff you mention i could do myself with a good diy guide to point me in the right direction.

Post #475248 Sun Oct 04 2015 1:10pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

That's good then. You'll find the (plentiful) "How-to" guides are mostly over on DISCO3. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #475251 Sun Oct 04 2015 1:22pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Incase you weren't aware RRS L320 (Mk 1) is a Disco3 in a party frock, the current MK2 RRS L494 is based on the current Range Rover. The Mk1 L320 and Disco3 are the same car under the bodywork. There are plenty of used RRS Mk1's out there so buy the one with the most service history that you can find, before buying also check things like wheels are no bigger than 20" (originally RRS TDv6 needed an uprated steering rack to fit wheels more than 19" unless it had the Dynamic Pack or was a Supercharged, after 2007MY all cars got the uprated rack), check that all the toys work (commonsense when buying any used car), check that the Transfer case (RRS has high range and low range gearboxes to enhance offroad use) linkage isn't seized due to lack of use (not difficult or expensive to fix but a sign that the car has not been operated in accordance with LR's recommendations) and check that the air suspension operates through it's full range and that it stays at the higher settings and doesn't squat down of it's own accord (can be a sign of leaks or sensor problems). These are all things you can check on the garage forecourt/ seller's drive but will give a good guide as to how well the car has been looked after. A rare one but one that a friend of mine came across when buying a used RRS, check in the instrument binnacle for any signs that the engine management light hasn't been covered over with black insulating tape........... he experienced three cars that he looked at with that issue before he found one that was warning free!, but I'm sure that also applies to many other makes of car too 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #475253 Sun Oct 04 2015 1:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

interesting reading about it needing a unrated steering rack on early cars.
What about this oil pump is they a way to checking to see if its had the uprated pump fitted as that sounds like it could actually ruin your life as well as your engine

oh yes how do i tell if its got the dynamic pack

Post #475260 Sun Oct 04 2015 3:54pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

The relevant part of the oil pump can't easily be seen, so unless you get proof that it's been done, it's best just to budget for it. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #475271 Sun Oct 04 2015 5:34pm
rrsrocknrollstar

United Kingdom 

how much is it to replace

Post #475317 Mon Oct 05 2015 2:11am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

AFAIR it's about 800 pounds if done as God intented, which is with the cambelt replacement at the same time. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #475326 Mon Oct 05 2015 8:52am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

As above, though can probably be had for less, dependant on the garage labour rate, and if you want a genuine-boxed pump ( http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic133955.html ) etc. It's a PITA, but worth it for the piece of mind. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #475328 Mon Oct 05 2015 9:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1