RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Finance & Insurance > L494 Renewal Quote
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Violetpiano

United Kingdom 
L494 Renewal Quote

I insured my car with Bell Insurance - £1,100 which was the best I could find. 49 years old, 27 year old daughter on the policy, zero NCD (as I had not owned a car for several years). No accidents and no convictions and living in the middle of London. The policy was for a 10 month policy which on a monthly basis absurdly worked out cheaper than a 12 month policy.

Just called them about my renewal that is due in about 3 weeks time and with no changes (apart from I now have 1 year NCD) my renewal quote is £2,290!!

Chap said that it was due to the rating on the car having changed.

Has anybody else had renewal quotes more than double what they paid last time around?

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #474690 Tue Sep 29 2015 12:51pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I would suggest that their brokers/ underwriters don't want to provide cover for Land Rover products in London due to the high level and high cost of car theft claims being made so they make the premiums unattractive. Time to shop around again! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #474692 Tue Sep 29 2015 1:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Jas,

I am with Admiral (same group as Bell) and my insurance is due mid next month. When I moved from L320 to L494 and the 7 day LR insurance expired, I had less than a month left until renewal so I just paid Admiral an additional premium to change the car until mid October. The amount I had to pay for < 1 month insurance for the new car on top of the annual premium I had already paid last year for the previous car made it very clear that the 12 month renewal price would be a shocker and I have found that at £3,000+ it indeed is!

I have spent hours online and on the phone to shop around. The new 65 reg is also not helping as not all insurers are able to find the car or have slightly different details when they find it. You shouldn't have this problem though.

Land Rover Insurance was also just under £3k for me but dropped to under £2k because my wife's motoring conviction will have its 5th anniversary just a couple of days before renewal date. £1,900 is still a bit too much.

I am close to agreeing with NFU Mutual at a price which is still a few multiples of what others pay but competitive enough for me. This is surprising because in the past they quoted silly prices as they preferred to insure mainly countryside cars and stayed out of London. Give them a call and as Tim says, shop around online too. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #474698 Tue Sep 29 2015 2:36pm
Tim in Scotland

FKarim, does NFU Mutual allow offroad use and cover trailer and roof rack/box contents in their terms and do they guarantee genuine Land Rover parts will be used to make any repairs? I'm with Land Rover Insurance and with full NCD and free legal cover and protected NCD as well as offroad use and trailer and roofrack cover etc etc, and (very importantly) a guarantee that the car will only be repaired at a Land Rover approved repair shop so warranties are not affected by using non-Land Rover bits. They also consider my Defender and RRSport to be a "Fleet" and cover both on the same policy now! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #474709 Tue Sep 29 2015 4:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Haven't checked about roof box, trailer, off-road but I don't require this cover. I discussed genuine parts etc. and was at least verbally told LR dealers will count as their "approved" and I can get it repaired at whichever dealer I choose. I haven't read the fine print though. If what I was told on the phone is correct, it's fine for me because LR dealers will only fit genuine parts (I hope!).

They are highly recommended by some members here and their cover is much better than most insurers I found on comparison websites which is why I chose them over some companies that provided a cheaper quote. The experience of dealing with the same person everytime I phoned and emailed them was refreshing and customer service definitely seems excellent.

They may not be as good as Land Rover Insurance. If LRI was only £200-£300 more I would have gone for that but the gap is too big to ignore. I will revisit LRI next year. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #474712 Tue Sep 29 2015 5:02pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Thanks all,

Done some shopping around and Privilege and Churchill (I know they are part of the same Group because I put that Business together in a previous life) seem to be the best around - £1,200 which is still slightly higher than last year.

When I was very young and yearning for the latest hot hatch, I used to think that at least when I am an old git I won't have to experience expensive car insurance. I will be 50 next week so exactly how much older do I have to get before reasonable insurance rates? Big Cry

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #474721 Tue Sep 29 2015 6:26pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Its not your age, Violet, its where you live! My brother who is 2 years older than me lives in Bethnal Green and drives a MY2015 RRS HSE, exactly the same as myself. I pay a few pounds under £300 per year (part of a multi-car policy) and he pays £1,208 per year insurance, over 4 times as much! Crazy but true.

Cheers,

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #474743 Tue Sep 29 2015 8:42pm
JOCK55

na 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #474748 Tue Sep 29 2015 8:50pm
Tim in Scotland

Once you get to 60 it will start to go up more too............. and if you insure with Saga Insurance for the over 50's then they are about the most expensive quote I have ever had and they wouldn't quote for off-road use! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #474754 Tue Sep 29 2015 9:43pm
JOCK55

Tim, unfortunately I crossed the 60 mark this year and my brother is 62.

We are both insured by Direct Line

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.

Post #474757 Tue Sep 29 2015 9:53pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
Re: L494 Renewal Quote

Violetpiano wrote:
Has anybody else had renewal quotes more than double what they paid last time around?

Yes...Bell did the same to me.

However, I called them and they reduced the quote by 60%!

32, 1 year NCD (new policy, running main policy on my RX8), Kent location. Paying approx £1200 now. 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #474771 Wed Sep 30 2015 7:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1