Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > BMW 335d Touring Xdrive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 19 123 ... 171819>

Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
BMW 335d Touring Xdrive

I have got one of these at the moment on an extended test drive (one week) Thumbs Up

I have to say i am very impressed so far. (day 2)

The vehicle i have is very well specced.
3.0L Engine, 313bhp huggings of torque. 0-62 in 4.9 seconds. 4wd Very Happy Top speed 155mph limited.
8 speed sports gearbox with flappy paddles.
M Sport + package. 19" Wheels, bigger brembo brakes, privacy glass bla bla bla etc etc.
Electric sunroof.
Adaptive suspension. (A must have on these cars)
Electric folding mirrors.
Reverse camera.
Professional media system, Harman Kardon. Fantastic sound and great sat nav system. Loads of other features.
Full electric heated front sports seats. Really hold you well and they are comfy.
Plus lots of other extras that i know i have forgotten about.
Now i know most of you are thinking, a lot of the above should be fitted as standard, and i totally agree, but it isn't a Range Rover Sport, and no where near the cost of one. Although the BMW i am in, full retail price was 54k. Shocked
Having been in this one has made me change my own spec a couple of times, things i didn't think i wanted, now i do.
Getting to the important bit..
The driving experience...
When i picked it up it had 1/4 of a tank of fuel in it, showing 114 miles to empty. Knowing my first journey was 150 miles away, i thought i would pit stop to put some diesel in. Put £40 in and it went up to very nearly full. Shocked Bloody hell, that makes a refreshing change. Put £40 in my RRS and it didn't get to half. So i set off on my 150 mile journey fully laden with 2 passengers 2 dogs and loads of luggage. Taking it nice and steady checking out all the vehicles features as i drive. Driving in Eco mode was okay for the likes of Beancounter Laughing but i soon got bored. Whistle Put it in Comfort mode and really enjoyed the ride. Really smooth, plenty of power, and soaked up the bumps very well on the country lanes, really impressed. After unloading my cargo, took it out to try out the sport mode and WOW! Engine note changes, a real growl from the 3.0L engine, loads of power and torque, Instant throttle response. What an engine the 335d is. Throwing it in to the bends in the wet, i was pleasantly surprised how well it stuck to the road with next to no body roll at all, this is where the adaptive suspension came in to its own. Fantastic. After a bit of fast A + B roads, i really didn't want to stop driving this beast. It really is a well planted rep mobile, I now know why the police force are using them. Looked at the fuel computer, i was averaging 43.3 mpg. This car is addictive. I really enjoyed owning my 2 previous RRS, but if i had known how well these 335d cars drive, then i'm sure i would have bought one sooner.
VED £180 A year.
MPG Approx 40-49 BMW figures, although i'm sure it will be more like late 20's if i use the sport mode daily. Laughing
Servicing 20k miles, or every 2 years. Depending on driving style and conditions.
My Insurance. RRS £325. BMW £280.
So looking at those figures, it's a no brainer for me getting a BMW 335d Touring Xdrive. It fits in very well with my day to day needs. Anyone thinking of jumping ship and undecided what to replace their sport with, like me, found it very hard to find a suitable replacement for my sport, because my sport was so good. Arrange a test drive in one of these. Thumbs Up
This is the one i'm currently using. I've ordered Mineral Grey Metalic. (same colour as Bc's) But don't tell him. Rolling with laughter

Click image to enlarge

Post #472879 Sat Sep 12 2015 2:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If BMW UK had decided 20 years ago to import the 4WD versions of their Tourings then I would probably never have bought my first Land Rover way back in 1996 and would be driving a 5 series Touring X drive now and would have owned a whole load of them in between 1996 and 2015! I'm on Land Rover product number 11 now! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #472888 Sat Sep 12 2015 3:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

That is one of the reasons I have decided to go for the BMW. It's now 4wd which I need come winter time.

Post #472893 Sat Sep 12 2015 5:10pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

......but it's not a Sport Whistle Very Happy Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #472913 Sat Sep 12 2015 6:45pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Sounds right up my street, just won't tow my caravan due to its weight

Post #472923 Sat Sep 12 2015 8:07pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Sell the caravan and book into a cottage. Just think how many breaks away you could have with the funds from the sale of your tintop. Honestly Nick, how often do you tow the caravan? 2/3 times a year? Then ask yourself, how often do you drive your car? It's a no brainer. Muddywheels has finally seen the light now and look what it cost him buying a new tintop. Embarassed
Idea Maybe time for a rethink Nick. Thumbs Up

Post #472926 Sat Sep 12 2015 8:33pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Go away more than 2 or 3 times but enjoy the trips away and the caravan life, but have been reconsidering things recently

Post #472932 Sat Sep 12 2015 9:03pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

I can recommend some lovely cottages in Northumbria. Thumbs Up

Post #472936 Sat Sep 12 2015 9:16pm
BKHK

Australia 

Sadly we don't get the X Drive here unless one buys an X series. But our climate is different and I am really enjoying my 335i that I bought as a runaround recently. I am going to sell the X6 as I don't use it much anymore.

I have had a couple of Tourings and while not X Drive, they were excellent at city to beach house duty.

Post #472961 Sat Sep 12 2015 11:19pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Looks very nice Ady and if I don't get delivery soon I may be taking a look - I've just about had enough of JLR and stealers now Rolling Eyes

Selling the tintent was a hard decision and I really miss it but so busy working at moment I wouldn't of been away this summer Big Cry

We need to meet up Nick if you still want the TV Whistle Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #472965 Sun Sep 13 2015 6:53am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Sounds good to me Paul. Thumbs Up I'm surprised Nick is still after your black & white TV. Laughing
BMW only do the 335d in Xdrive now over here due to the power and torque it produces.

Post #472966 Sun Sep 13 2015 6:56am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Nice one Ady - great car and a superb spec. Very similar to mine, part from the engine Bow down

I left mine on comfort mode all the time and just poodled along on the torque. Every once in a while I switched over to Sport + just to see the warning light on the dash that tells me all the nanny control are off and Im actually driving. Rolling with laughter

Bet you can't wait to take delivery. The running costs are ridiculously low for the spec/performance. Not sure the Golf GTD I have on order will come close. Big Cry FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #472970 Sun Sep 13 2015 7:18am
mrfixit

2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Yeah but can you honestly say hand on heart you will get that same feeling you've had for the past few years when you look outside your house and that is sat on the drive?

Post #472972 Sun Sep 13 2015 7:27am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Tim in Scotland wrote:
If BMW UK had decided 20 years ago to import the 4WD versions of their Tourings

It wasn't about "decision". The only 4WD drivetrain layout that was technically feasible back then for BMW was LHD only. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #472983 Sun Sep 13 2015 9:51am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

mrfixit wrote:
Yeah but can you honestly say hand on heart you will get that same feeling you've had for the past few years when you look outside your house and that is sat on the drive?

Yes I can actually Very Happy I have ticked the RRS box now. The reason I didn't go for another sport or LR product, is because I think LR is pulling the pants down of all it''s UK customers with their ever increasing prices of their vehicles. I can't complain about my dealer Copley Landrover because they were spot on for sales, servicing and warranty work. But I will criticise them for the insulting px offer they made me for my sport. Whistle Imo LR don'the seem to care about their customers as they should and just leave any unsatisfied customers to the dealer network to sort out. Thankfully I was never one of those customers, but I have read a lot on here who have been. That's one of the many reasons I decided to jump ship. I work too hard to hand over my hard earned money to a company that treat their customers as they do.
As regards looking at what vehicle is on my drive, that doesn't bother me. More often than not, I bring home the works van. My own vehicle sits in my garage. My P1 was my toy. Wink
So I am more than happy replacing my sport with a BMW. Now BMW have brought in the Xdrive to it's 3 4 & 5 series, my dealer is seeing more and more ex LR customers coming through their doors.

Post #472989 Sun Sep 13 2015 12:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 19 123 ... 171819>