RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Brake light/ Brake switch Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mad-dafty

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Brake light/ Brake switch Problem

Wife reported the drivers side brake bulb wasn't working.....Simple fix....I thought.

Bought two brake bulbs. swapped the duff bulb out put new one in......No light when brake pressed. Faulty bulb I thought, tried the second new bulb...no joy. tried indicators reverse light etc on the bad cluster both worked well.

Tried the new bulb in rear passenger side cluster...worked, took it out replaced with original bulb, hazard lights start ot flash yellow brake warning light comes up on dash....big letter F comes up along from where the service info comes up.

Panic begins! Shocked

Thought maybe it's a brake switch problem.....I had a new brake switch I had ordered months ago but didn't fit. So read over Paddi't tutorial on here on how to fit the brake switch, hoping this was the cause of the original drivers brake light problem.

Took the old switch out and replaced the new switch (after a lot of tinkering and swearing Embarassed ) Started her up and no funny lights appearing on dash... good sign, took her out of park and straight away a message flashes up drivers door open....along with the annoying buzz/whine. Drivers door was closed...went out anyway and checked all doors...all closed properly. Started her again, put her into drive ...same thing, loud warning sound continuosly when ever I select any gear, reverse etc...no drivers door warning though, just the noise.

Hoping someone can give me some ideas on what to check.....No expert here. Confused 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2006 RRS TDV6 2.7 HSE -Java Black
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #471850 Thu Sep 03 2015 12:44pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

CANBUS issue. Highly likely to be damaged wiring - most commonly in the wheel arches and around back near the EPB module. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #471852 Thu Sep 03 2015 12:58pm
mad-dafty

Thanks mate...looks like I will need to get someone to take a look. Started her again and no noise this time....that drivers rear brake light is still knacked though. 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #471857 Thu Sep 03 2015 1:58pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Are you still getting the hazards etc.?

Perhaps see if Disco_Mikey is around your way soon. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #471861 Thu Sep 03 2015 2:19pm
mad-dafty

Just got back from a local garage....the guy took a quick look at it for me. Crazy stuff, when he checked the rear brake lights the one that had the original fault was working.....the other that had no problem to start with wasn't working! Shocked

The guy cleaned the connections and tried two new bulbs and hey presto everything is working fine.........so far. Wink

As for hazards and door open noise on selecting gear.....gone....don't know why...it just is....Jeez these RRS's have minds of their bloody own! Laughing Thumbs Up 2010 RRS TDV6 3.0 Autobiography - Stornoway Grey
2008 BMW 3 Series 2.l
2006 BMW 5 series 2.l

Post #471866 Thu Sep 03 2015 3:29pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Never a dull moment with one, unlike boring BMW's, Audi's, Mercs and assorted Koreans 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #471870 Thu Sep 03 2015 4:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Let us know if it returns. Thumbs Up

Hopefully that's sorted it, though, the hazards are indicative of CANBUS problems, but my thinking now is that it could have been a bad case of noise on the brake wiring which upset the BCM/CJB (Body Control Module A.K.A passenger fusebox) more so than usual. Normally, it's less severe and just causes the normal "HDC fault" etc. Wink Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #471871 Thu Sep 03 2015 4:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1