RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Towing Hitch Vey Low
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

savi18

New Zealand 
Towing Hitch Vey Low

Bought myself a very nice Range Rover Sport 2009 model a few weeks ago but had no towing hitch fitted so bought a new gen Land Rover removable one from UK(around $700), which just locks in when pushed into its slot now when measured from ground to top of ball on hitch its only 15" (400mm) where as my Mitsubishi 4wd and Ford Transit Van sit at 20"(520mm) which is perfect when towing my Coachmen Apex caravan, looks like I will have to sell the new hitch and get the removable or fixed receiver with the 2" slot for the different hitch that would rise the hitch ball to 20", Has any members had this problem with there Range Rover Sport and raised the hitch height, Cheers

Post #470960 Sun Aug 23 2015 6:08am
CRACKA

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

I will check mine and let you know. At what suspension setting did you measure it ???

Post #471591 Tue Sep 01 2015 7:32am
CRACKA

Mine measured 14"(36cm) at suspension access height. Would be more at normal road height and higher again at max. height.
I found it was the same as our Ford Territory and was level with our caravan. But if you have an off road van or one with extra height you will need a Hayman Reece adjustable height or different Tongue to fit into the RRS square receiver.
I have one if you can't locate one.

Post #471592 Tue Sep 01 2015 7:41am
savi18

New Zealand 

HI CRACKY. At normal suspension height from ground to top of tow ball it is 15" that's with the swan neck hitch, what I need is at least 20" from ground to top of ball, this is because I have an American caravan built for Australia/NZ conditions which the caravan hitch is higher then normal, so I need the hitch receiver with the 2" slot and something like this to connect to the receiver http://www.ebay.com/itm/321791197340?_trks...EBIDX%3AIT this is adjustable either 4"rise or 4" drop, what have you got for sale,

Post #471597 Tue Sep 01 2015 9:01am
garrycol

Australia 

You do realise that the UK style of hitch only has about half the rating of the Aussie/US hitch - in fact the UK swan neck hitch is illegal in Australia. Laws of course maybe different in NZ.

I would be double checking the gross vehicle mass (GVM) and ball weight of your caravan to ensure it does not exceed the hitch you have.

For the same price you could have bought a 3500kg/350kg D4 hitch from LR Aust (also most likely LR NZ) and you would not be having ground clearance issues.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #471605 Tue Sep 01 2015 12:08pm
savi18

New Zealand 

Not going to use the swan neck just sits to low, going to purchase the fixed tow bar hitch receiver which is held in by three bolts, then buy the Anderson adjustable hitch from the States, good thing with the Anderson hitch is 4" adjustable high or low.

Post #471687 Wed Sep 02 2015 7:41am
CRACKA

Just had a look at the ad. for the Anderson Hitch. It has 2" ball, looks non changable. Don't know about NZ but everything here is 50mm and has been for over 15yrs.
Other than that it looks similar to Hayman Reece adjustable. Something to look out for is the RRS receiver is very short and the 'locking hole' on the input shaft has to be in the right postion otherwise it will be too close to the bumper or too far away.
Maybe garycools idea is the way to go.

Post #471797 Wed Sep 02 2015 9:10pm
savi18

New Zealand 

Just an update on this, my mate has a 2012 sport which had the square hitch receiver so I swapped my swan neck hitch with his as never uses his tow bar. What I got was the locking bit that snaps into place and the square hitch receiver thats slots in and then put the locking pin and clip. This hitch sits at perfect lever for my towball. Had no problems whatsoever over the last 12 months.

Post #501543 Sat Jul 23 2016 9:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1