RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Tyre and wheel arch contact when turning hard left
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

kozzone

Finland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Tyre and wheel arch contact when turning hard left

So suddenly when I driving quite slowly through the city I noticed that my traffic light were about to turn red. I stepped on the gas pedal and made it easily through the light and turned left. But right there I noticed that my left front wheel shaked and slowed down. for a second. I saw a yellow warning light on the dash blinking for that second and then it was gone.

I stopped at the nearest parking lot but I couldnt notice any differences between left and right side. It was pretty dark outside at that time. After that I went through the left turn few times and this "shaking" occured every time. I cannot tell if it was wheel hitting the arch or if it could be ABS slowing the wheel down for some weird reason? Im checking diagnostic codes tomorrow but I would like to hear if this has happened to others.

It didnt matter if the car was on Standard or Off road -height. And only when turning left, not right. I think the warning light was the one with the car and two arrows pointing to the sides. I have slightly bigger wheels than original ones but those havent been hitting the arch ever before (285/50/20).

My front valve block has been replaced about a month ago when the nose was lowered over night. It was fixed.

Post #471321 Fri Aug 28 2015 9:48pm
kozzone

Some updates.

So I checked the the fault codes and nothing on ABS module. But these ones were active:

B1A87 Battery disconnection/electronic control unit reset
U0159 Lost communication with parking assist control module
U0182 Lost communication with front lighting control module
U0132 Lost communication with ride level control module
B1b70 Local interconnection network bus circuit 2

I then noticed that the yellow warning light wasnt the car with the two arrow pointing to the sides. It was the DSC light that blinked. I also noticed some wear mark on the back side of the front wheel arch on both sides. But this "shaking" only happened again when i turn left hard and step on gas. Not when I drive straight forward and no matter if there´s any speed bumbs. It goes over them really smoothly and no extra sounds. Neither when I turn right. It goes fine.

Over last two months I have replaced upper and lower control arms to both sides on front. With ball joints and bushes. ARB bushed to front and drop links. After that I had wheel alignment done and the car was fine for 2-3 weeks.

The most weird thing is that there are no extra sounds for loose or wore parts. Everything works perfectly until I make that hard left turn. And to be honest I could easily drive so carefully that the shaking would never appear. But Im loosing my good night sleep when I know there is something to be fixed Crying or Very sad

Post #471332 Sat Aug 29 2015 7:54am
kozzone

Update2: It seems now that when I disable the traction control everything works fine! Still no fault codes. Somehow the car thinks it needs to cut power from the left front wheel when Im turning left.

Could it be that ABS sensor is giving false information only when wheel is turned? I dont have any reasonable explanation to this Crying or Very sad pls help Very Happy

Post #471371 Sat Aug 29 2015 4:55pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Thought there was a similar fault reported before; think it is this thread:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic34653....gle+sensor

You could try a steering angle sensor calibration - it is recommended in the workshop manual after aligment has been carried out.

Or it could be steering angle sensor failure which would be expensive 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #471471 Sun Aug 30 2015 6:12pm
kozzone

Thanks Paddi!

Me and my sorted this one out earlier today! We cleaned both front ABS sensors the problem was gone...for now! Both sensors were covered in metal dust and I was wondering how´d they worked at all. So everything went well except when I took a test drive and my right side rear wheel got punctured by some sort of nail Very Happy Big Cry

Post #471472 Sun Aug 30 2015 6:17pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Good to hear you found the problem. Where did the metal particles come from - cutting off the lower arms to change them? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #471512 Mon Aug 31 2015 8:39am
kozzone

Im not really sure if its the dust from brake pads. Those lower arms came off easily so no cutting was needed.

Post #471515 Mon Aug 31 2015 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1