RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Dont buy a Range Rover Sport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>

Madjohn

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Hi guys
Really sorry to hear about all your problems on the RR's I brought a 2011 3.0 HSE
Last year kept it for 8 months . It had 67k when I brought it and 75k when I sold it
It ran like a dream with no faults but I knew in time something would go bang with a £0000
Big bill to follow !
I have just brought a ford ranger new 3.2 but this is like driving a lorry ! But it will be easier to fix as less on it .

I own a 61 plate astra se 150 sports van ! In 3 yrs it has covered 198,000 miles from new and never been in a
Dealership ! Serviced it all my self plus engine and gearbox is all
Would I have another RR ? Yes .

Post #453384 Sun Feb 22 2015 1:09pm
Neils RRS

Scotland 

Starting to get very bitter about the whole RRS experience myself. Thats 6k spent in 6 months. I'm not tight but this is starting to get ridiculous. Twice this month its had to be recovered. Its not high miles, hasnt been mistreated, fully serviced.

I think i spent £1500 all in on my rx300 in 5 years. Giving it until September, if it doesnt get any better, its going.
Could probably have had a brand new full fat for what this is costing me. Evil or Very Mad

Post #468712 Mon Jul 27 2015 5:38pm
Steviesport

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Stornoway Grey

Wish I'd done my homework before buying this pile of Censored I drive ,how long will this new engine I've got going to last ?never known a car to have this many expensive faults and journeys on a wrecker.

Post #468761 Mon Jul 27 2015 10:00pm
Marvik125

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Buy used approved, 2 year unlimited mileage LR warranty. The amount of people I see saying main dealers are a rip then they spend 5k repairing a car. The used approved scheme would of fixed it all free of charge.

Post #468772 Mon Jul 27 2015 10:49pm
Marvik125

Neils RRS wrote:
Starting to get very bitter about the whole RRS experience myself. Thats 6k spent in 6 months. I'm not tight but this is starting to get ridiculous. Twice this month its had to be recovered. Its not high miles, hasnt been mistreated, fully serviced.

I think i spent £1500 all in on my rx300 in 5 years. Giving it until September, if it doesnt get any better, its going.
Could probably have had a brand new full fat for what this is costing me. Evil or Very Mad

Good point, if you don't do your home work when buying a car that was potentially 50-75k when new you will get stung.

Post #468773 Mon Jul 27 2015 10:50pm
Marvik125

Steviesport wrote:
Wish I'd done my homework before buying this pile of Censored I drive ,how long will this new engine I've got going to last ?never known a car to have this many expensive faults and journeys on a wrecker.

Sorry meant to quote you in the above post .

Post #468774 Mon Jul 27 2015 10:51pm
Neils RRS

Scotland 

Marvik125 wrote:
Neils RRS wrote:

Good point, if you don't do your home work when buying a car that was potentially 50-75k when new you will get stung.

But that's the thing, my AMG merc cost nearly twice what the RRS cost new and has cost 1/3 of what the RRS has to run in nearly 4 times the length of ownership and the merc is 5 years older than the RRS. It's not about top line cost of a car, it's that Land Rover products aren't very well engineered. It's a lovely thing both to drive, to look at and to sit in, but I am struggling to trust in on a journey longer than to the shops and back. I knew they were bad, I did quite a bit of homework, but this makes running a Ferrari / Aston / Maserati seem cheap.

It's not just the cost, it's the lack of trust in the thing and the inconvenience it causes.

Post #468789 Tue Jul 28 2015 6:48am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

There are various reasons behind the high maintenance costs of a RRS. In general, they're actually designed very well, but there will always be causes of failure. Firstly, there's weight; the RRS is a heavy car, so suspension and driveline components can wear very quickly. There are some parts which are prone to failure, and a few dodgy bits of wiring (which is actually, on the whole, very good). Then there's lack of maintenance; not because of the owner, but due to some of LR's inadequate servicing schedule - e.g. the insufficient gearbox service interval. The complex electronics that help the car perfrom well, not just off-road, but also on road, are very sensitive, and rely on accurate readings from the sensors and a good voltage.

As nice cars to drive, many will often do a fairly high mileage or lead a hard life, causing lots of wear and tear, and then some that are the opposite will experience the issues of low use - e.g. battery and turbo actuator rod sticking.

With heavy maintenance, they can actually be very reliable, and sometimes a with a little understanding, one can be a little more sympathetic to the failures. I'm afraid you've obviously been unlucky, Steveisport, engine failures are really not that common. In addition, there are people here on these forums who can help in many ways to reduce the cost and complications of ownership, and a far greater selestion of independant experts around. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #468802 Tue Jul 28 2015 9:27am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I think they're well engineered but then cheaply built - hence common failures on bought in items such as alternators, compressors etc. The TDV8 is slightly different - I think it's been engineered to fit in a too-small engine bay and this has given us a potential turbo failure legacy. Otherwise, they seem pretty well thought out.

The dealerships are very patchy though - a service by a bad mechanic is probably worse than having no service at all. Misaligned oil filters, for example, will quickly damage the engine. I had a steering rack damaged by a LR main dealership when they took the body off to replace my TDV8's turbos. Starter motor was replaced without the breather pipe resulting in premature failure. That was due to a LR dealership getting it wrong. These failures don't necessarily manifest themselves straight away so you end up thinking "this is a bad vehicle" when really the problem is "this vehicle has not been cared for by the garage". 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #468809 Tue Jul 28 2015 10:10am
Nigex4x4

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost
I love my RRS

WHY DO WE BUY THEM/

I despise with a passion the people who could have afforded them new. The footballers, the celebs, the wealthy.

Why then?

Because they look so effing good and on the good days when everything is ok they make you feel like a King.

I'm relatively poor to be honest, plumber by trade and my 2005 RRS makes me feel good (occasionally) when I get my hands clean enough to drive it. I'm in love.

This forum might just as well be about Women, the ones we had to have. The ones who treated us like Censored but made us feel like we were better than everyone else until they sued you for everything you owned.

I'm taking my family to York when I sober up tomorrow and i'm Censored it because I KNOW IT COULD ALL GO WRONG

But then again fellas, she's the 'way out of my league chick' I always wanted to bed. And I've got the keys.

If you want something safe buy a Toyota Corolla Diesel, in white with grey cloth trim. You and your Mum would enjoy that.

I'm going to stick with this temperamental red lipstick wearing bitch and man up when the bill comes.

8 pints of cider induced this tyrade, forgive me fellas.

A64 lay by here we come, ho bloody ha effing lol.

Nige 2005 RRS HSE Arctic Frost (more like Scotch mist)

"When you are going through Hell - keep going!" Sir W Churchill

Free plumbing advice to fellow sufferers

Post #469166 Sat Aug 01 2015 9:09pm
Nigex4x4

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost
I love my RRS

WHY DO WE BUY THEM/

I despise with a passion the people who could have afforded them new. The footballers, the celebs, the wealthy.

Why then?

Because they look so effing good and on the good days when everything is ok they make you feel like a King.

I'm relatively poor to be honest, plumber by trade and my 2005 RRS makes me feel good (occasionally) when I get my hands clean enough to drive it. I'm in love.

This forum might just as well be about Women, the ones we had to have. The ones who treated us like Censored but made us feel like we were better than everyone else until they sued you for everything you owned.

I'm taking my family to York when I sober up tomorrow and i'm Censored it because I KNOW IT COULD ALL GO WRONG

But then again fellas, she's the 'way out of my league chick' I always wanted to bed. And I've got the keys.

If you want something safe buy a Toyota Corolla Diesel, in white with grey cloth trim. You and your Mum would enjoy that.

I'm going to stick with this temperamental red lipstick wearing bitch and man up when the bill comes.

8 pints of cider induced this tyrade, forgive me fellas.

A64 lay by here we come, ho bloody ha effing lol.

Nige 2005 RRS HSE Arctic Frost (more like Scotch mist)

"When you are going through Hell - keep going!" Sir W Churchill

Free plumbing advice to fellow sufferers

Post #469167 Sat Aug 01 2015 9:11pm
Marvik125

It seems no one here ever owned a RS cosworth, Lancia Delta inter, Mits EVO, Audi RS, etc. back in 1995 I was paying more for repairs than some of you lot are moaning about on your RRS in 2015. Do not buy you cannot afford to repair.

Post #469169 Sat Aug 01 2015 9:35pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Just because someone can afford to pay for the repairs, and does so, doesn't mean they can't be Censored off about it at the same time. Laughing Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #469199 Sun Aug 02 2015 8:46am
nigel52

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Lost for Words Absolutely agree with your sentiment. Plus comparing cars to 1995 is not something I would LR would want to do. One hopes that things have moved on since 1995.

Post #469203 Sun Aug 02 2015 9:04am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Whenever I see one of Marvik's posts, I just see this character:
https://youtu.be/G36BWq5xrM0?t=4m22s

Whistle Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #469219 Sun Aug 02 2015 11:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>