RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Battery charging - disconnect req?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Nigex4x4

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost
Battery charging - disconnect req?

Hi all
I've read about 15 posts asking if the battery needs to be disconnected to safely charge the battery but every time it is asked someone replies with how to do it with one of these wonderful Ctek jobbies. I need my car running tomorrow night so this isn't an option for me.
so
- can I charge the battery without first disconnecting it or would this be a stupid thing to do

and

- assuming I don't want to be called (rightly) stupid what extra hassle can I expect having disconnected the battery when I reconnect it?

We're off camping tomorrow and like an idiot i decided to give the old girl a good clean, with the radio on.

Stupid stupid stupid. Just bl00dy stupid.

Can anyone help please?

Happy to exchange plumbing secrets!

Nige

Post #466368 Thu Jul 02 2015 9:52pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

I've got two radiators that don't get hot.....

Anyway,
Charging with a normal charger on the car is fine. Don't leave the Ign on next time! Lol. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #466378 Thu Jul 02 2015 11:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
garrycol

Australia 

I charged my car this week - charged it exactly the same way I would my series 1 landy.

Clip the positive lead of the charger to the positive terminal if the battery, same with the negative lead but it is preferred to the connect it the the earth post just in front of the battery - but doesn't matter.

Same applies to any charger including a Ctek.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #466385 Fri Jul 03 2015 3:54am
Nigex4x4

Cheers Bodsy and Gary

Out there early doors with my charger!

Two rads not warming up, assuming you have TRVs fitted to the rads...

Take the top off the TRV - there is a floating collar below the big white head, turn the TRV fully open (5 usually) first to reduce tension on the body of the TRV and then unscrew the floating collar.

Remember - from above - lefty loosey, righty tighty (lol)

Once off you should see the actuator pin standing up proud of the valve body (the bit still attached to the pipework and rad)

Get a hammer and press down on this pin and feel if it goes down, slip the head of the hammer off the pin and see if the pin comes back up again. If not that's your problem.

If seized just repeat the press and slip several times till it starts moving again. You can't pull the pin up as this will achieve nothing internally. It's the downward pressure on the pin coupled with the sudden release of pressure as the hammer slips off the edge that does it.

If not TRVs then let me know more about the problem, do the rads get warm anywhere, how many rads and what type of boiler, how recent is the pump, is it a combi or a system (old fashioned with header tank in loft)

Cheers guys

Nige

Post #466389 Fri Jul 03 2015 6:48am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Thanks nige, will give that a go and let you know more detail.

Enjoy your camping trip!
Take the charger with you if you have electrical there as the constant opening of the car during camping trips can really drop the battery down. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #466395 Fri Jul 03 2015 7:37am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CRACKA

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Just a sugestion to help keep the Battery charged (no it won't help if you leave the lights on !!).
I have had a small solar panel wired in by an Auto Elec.(Aust. Professional). It helps keep the battery fully charged but needs some sunlight (May not work in the U.K.) Laughing

Post #466489 Sat Jul 04 2015 7:35am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I bought an adapter off Martin that plugged into caravan electric socket and used to plug ctek into that during periods of minimal use - kept everything topped up Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #466494 Sat Jul 04 2015 10:20am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/shop/tow-electrics...c-p45.html

http://www.disco3.co.uk/shop/tow-electrics...n-p68.html Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #466495 Sat Jul 04 2015 10:23am
Nigex4x4

Thanks guys, i like the sound of the solar and also the Ctek

Got her charged and starting fine but suspension warning on now and three pretty lights. I'm hoping a hard reset will clear this but I'll check the forums first, might still be very low on zap.

Thanks again 2005 RRS HSE Arctic Frost (more like Scotch mist)

"When you are going through Hell - keep going!" Sir W Churchill

Free plumbing advice to fellow sufferers

Post #466507 Sat Jul 04 2015 1:15pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Low battery will throw up lots of warning lights on these Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #466508 Sat Jul 04 2015 1:17pm
garrycol

Australia 

Ctek is just one brand of the many smart chargers on the market. Any smart charger will do.

Unless the car is being laid up for long periods you do not need continual battery maintenance either solar or anything else.

If you need to use these on a day to day there is something wrong in the vehicle.

Niger4x4 - just switch off and then restart after a short period and your faults should clear. My battery is dying and when I started this morning after -6 overnight I got a Special Programs off and I had no TR selections. I switched off and all cleared - I do need to get a new battery but the car is still starting first go but sometimes with a fault - which clear on restart.

garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #466509 Sat Jul 04 2015 1:19pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I used ctek in winter because did a lot of short runs and only used weekends at the time. Using heater and defrost was hammering the battery Sad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #466510 Sat Jul 04 2015 1:24pm
CRACKA

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

I would have thought that in Canberra (-6c overnight) that batteries would take a hammering too. Maybe Garrycol works for the Gov.t and they provide heated garages. Wink
Seriously though if you leave your vehicle parked for a while, have heated seats etc, and don't do any long runs the battery will lose power. There are still things running even with the key off.
As I have a number of work vehicles at my disposal my RRS may only get used 1-2 per fortnight. So the small solar panel helps keep the battery charged. Although its wired in it has a plug and is portable which means I can use it on other vehicles.
It also helps provide a bit of extra electrical power when Towing a caravan with fridge etc.

Post #466567 Sun Jul 05 2015 8:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1