RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Scratches and detailing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Humbug

United Kingdom 
Scratches and detailing

Seen a lot about scratched paintwork as well as detailing but would be grateful for an idiot's introduction to best way to get rid of surface scratches.

I'm in the country with narrow lanes and thick hedges, as well as lots of time off road, so have a large number of scratches (as well as marks behind the door handles). I can't do too much to change where/how I drive so need to deal with them when they happen:

At the moment I just clean with a jet wash but this obviously has no effect. Is there a simple way of getting rid of them that won't damage the paintwork? As has been said elsewhere the RRS seems more prone to scratches than other cars so is there anything I can then use that might actually protect the paintwork? The only thing I've ever used before is T-Cut which I guess is a little extreme... A quick fool's guide or a pointer to useful info would be v. helpful.

Post #465588 Wed Jun 24 2015 5:39pm
Triumph_Dave

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

HI, I have had exactly the same issue on our RRS 2013 Black, it was a nightmare, the slightest brush along a plant ended up marking the paint. I ended up going on the website "Cleanmycar" and buying Sonax very fine polishing cream and their sealer to cover the polished area, this was ok, but the fact is that each time you polish the clear coat like this it cuts away a little of the paints clear coat thininning it out, until (unless you are careful ) you cut through to base colour.. then you are stuffed and its a visit to the paint shop..
I also asked Somerset council to cut our lanes hedges on the road side, but under the EU rules ref birds nesting and restricted cutting times they said they would not do it unless it caused an possible accident issue ref line of sight etc. In the end I found the best route. i.e widest way to the main road and ended up walking it and cutting the bramble back on each side myself!! Bloody nuts...
I have just ordered a new MY2016 RRS, so I hope to god the paint is tougher, but I fear it will not be.

I did talk to our LR dealer about this and they said they have the issue all the time.. Another independant has said its because the car industry has moved away from the old type curing paints and the new type is not so hard.. Mind you I did not see this issue on a previous Merc, its paint was iron hard , until parts of it peeled off Rolling with laughter

Ref the scratchs by the door.. often caused by the wifes rings..

Dave

Post #465591 Wed Jun 24 2015 6:13pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Finger nails will cause the scratches behind the door handles over a fairly short time.

I'd have thought that you would be looking at a professional detail using one of the crystal systems such as gtechnic:
http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/c1-crystal-lacquer

Other than that, consider them a badge of honour - a rare thing indeed is a modern 4x4 that goes off road! Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #465616 Wed Jun 24 2015 8:41pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

If you want the least expensive easy option then poorboys black hole will glaze over them, filling them and making them less visible

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/glazes/poorb...d_494.html

Post #465621 Wed Jun 24 2015 9:08pm
sterling01

Scotland 

This is a bit drawn out, and there are 5 parts to it, but there is a whole load of good advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk Current - 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
Gone - 2017 Audi A8 Sport
Gone - 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 - Great car.

Post #465660 Thu Jun 25 2015 8:30am
Humbug

United Kingdom 

Tx, all: I'll try the PoorBoys to start.

Post #465888 Sat Jun 27 2015 11:08am
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

if i were you ill try to polish out as much of the scratches as possible, then poor boys. then buy a cheap run around car for tescos and back...that's what I did anyway Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #465897 Sat Jun 27 2015 3:48pm
Triumph_Dave

I would agree, exactly what I ended up doing. Polished out the marks on the RRS. I then cut back brambles by hand from home to an exit to the main road. Very Happy Then purchased a 9 year old Suzuki to buzz through the lanes, park in shopping car parks, throw anything in the back and basically dont give a damm about..
Never thought I would ever need to do this, but there you go, thats range rover sport ownership for you.. Rolling with laughter

dave

Post #465949 Sun Jun 28 2015 1:55pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

So your RRS sits on the drive/in the garage being "protected" from the nasty world? Really can't see the point of that - why buy a vehicle and then not use it? The U in SUV stands for Utility after all i.e. something which is useful or functional.

Mine does the commute (2.5k miles / month), does the tip trip (with the rear seats folded down it took an old shed (in pieces obviously) and takes 2 bulk bags of garden clippings at a time), goes to Tescos, goes off road now and then, carries muddy dogs, oh, and it tows a horse trailer too.

The paint work's not perfect by some margin but at least the vehicle I bought actually gets used! Whistle

Sorry, I'll calm down soon... Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #465974 Sun Jun 28 2015 8:56pm
Triumph_Dave

Ohh yes it gets used on and offroad over exmoor frequently, through ruts and bogs. The issue is where I live the countryroads are very narrow and sunken, they are narrow enough that with yearly growth its damm difficult to get a car down them without damage unless the council cuts the sides, which they only do once a year.. so its difficult with a quality car to avoid large bodywork repair bills, its had body repair several times for side impact damage caused by roots/branchs denting.. it was cheaper to buy an old 4x4 to abuse than repair the RRS. As I said the old suzuki gets the work that does not cost thousands to repair.
There is some logic in having a banger of a car..

And of note the RRS is used for hunting, shooting and deer stalking so its not overly cosseted.. and it tows.... Whistle

Post #465982 Sun Jun 28 2015 11:35pm
wilf

Must be worth consulting a professional Detailer (NB that isn't the same as a "valeter"!) and asking their opinion as to which sealing system would best shrug off marks and scratches like that. OPR at least make removing them easier.

Lots of very good products on the market, but the knowledge about them and how to use them is inside the detailing world. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #465991 Mon Jun 29 2015 8:46am
Invincible

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Finger nails will cause the scratches behind the door handles over a fairly short time.

I'd have thought that you would be looking at a professional detail using one of the crystal systems such as gtechnic:
http://gtechniq.com/products/auto/c1-crystal-lacquer

Other than that, consider them a badge of honour - a rare thing indeed is a modern 4x4 that goes off road! Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up 2015 - HSE Dynamic - Santorini - Stealth Pack
2013 - Evoque - Santorini - Lux Pack
2010 - BMW M3 - Monte Carlo Blue
2007 - BMW 335 - Gun Metal Grey
2004 - BMW Z4 - Gun Metal Grey

Post #466045 Mon Jun 29 2015 6:41pm
Humbug

United Kingdom 

Two quick questions:

Quote:
if i were you ill try to polish out as much of the scratches as possible, then poor boys.

Does anyone recommend a particular polish? I guess just applied with a cloth?

Quote:
OPR at least make removing them easier.

What is OPR?

Post #466214 Wed Jul 01 2015 9:11am
chemistry guy

Belgium 

This product is a very good alternative,

Simoniz Diamond Hard Car Wax. It polishes very gently and produces a very hard protective polymer shield.
I can be applied with a cloth or applicator and wiped away easily with a microfiber cloth when the mat finish appears.
We use it on a car that is always outside and the results are very good. Thumbs Up MY2015 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Corris Grey, Santorini Black Roof, Ebony/Pimento interior, 22 inch Hawke Chayton

Post #466488 Sat Jul 04 2015 7:24am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1