RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Wading - Raised Air Intake etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MattMatt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
Wading - Raised Air Intake etc

I've just acquired a Raised Air Intake s/h for my 06 TD - original L/R as well!!!

I understand that it is a 'raised air intake' and not a snorkel, in other words it's not waterproof. Has anyone set about making it more of a snorkel and tried waterproofing where is joins to the wing?

Second - has anyone extended the diff/gearbox breather?

I know about flotation - this is more about quick submerge rather than river crossings.....

Post #464600 Mon Jun 15 2015 9:42am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

As you say, the RAI isn't a snorkel. There is the issue of sealing the point where it enters the wing. There is also the issue of sealing the pipework inside the wing. The inner pipe is porous by design as is the elbow that connects the inner pipe to the filter air box in the engine bay. This inner wing space is open behind the front right headlight so you might need to consider this pipework too. If the plan is to not submerge the wing except for the briefest of moments then the standard RAI with some sealant to the wing may well be good enough.

As for the diffs, the front diff has a breather pipe that terminates just below and behind the bonnet slam panel next to the radiator. There is a revised breather valve for this pipe. The rear diff has a breather that terminates up behind the fuel filler neck. There is no breather valve on this pipe. Both of these is high enough to avoid an issue except when playing at being a submarine.

The transmission and transfer box breathers terminate above the gearbox bell housing adjacent to the rear face of the engine. These might benefit from being extended but I haven't looked to see exactly how high they are.

You should check the starter motor breather "snorkel" too. If it's fitted (and it might not be, especially if the starter motor is original) then it should terminate on the rear face of the engine level with the oil filter housing. Ask me how I know... Big Cry

I'm toying with fitting a RAI to my RRS but keep baulking at LR's ridiculous price for a bit of moulded plastic. I wonder if the D3 Safari Snorkels will fit... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #464615 Mon Jun 15 2015 11:25am
MattMatt

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Thanks for the brill reply

I was lucky - my RAI was on Fleabay but mis titled - £2.20 bargain. They even gave me some spare clips and a pre-drilled windscreen pillar cover so I was a little embarrassed. Gave them extra cash.....

From what you've said the whole of the pipe work behind the wing could be upgraded, maybe replaced or just coated with tank sealer or similar? The breather pipes are not too hard to extend probably into or along the RAI. I've never heard of a starter motor breather!

I subbed my last Disco in the Glouc floods some years ago and although it survived it was never the same. Having said that I'm not going to be seriously offroading it. I have another toy for that

Post #464618 Mon Jun 15 2015 11:43am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Video of my Sport with RAI which was sealed in action... Basically i purchased the RAI direct from LR,
the company who fitted it, silicon sealed it to the side and run a new hose internally to the air box
Also there is a few small holes on the airbox itself that had to be plugged.

The RAI and airbox have been removed for maintenance so will have to be resealed prior to its next
trip ..

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/zilch/medi...7.mp4.html

Cheers Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #466302 Thu Jul 02 2015 8:06am
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I'm toying with fitting a RAI to my RRS but keep baulking at LR's ridiculous price for a bit of moulded plastic. I wonder if the D3 Safari Snorkels will fit...

The D3 LR Intake looks very similar if not the same as the Sport one, if they have the same code,
then i would assume that maybe with a bit of tinkering the Safari one could be made to fit??
Would need some very careful measurements.. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #466303 Thu Jul 02 2015 8:12am
El Matador

United States 

I've always been under the impression that snorkels and RAIs are more for dusty conditions than actual wading. Doesn't mean I didn't get one for the Defender, it does look quite cool

Post #532047 Fri Aug 04 2017 7:57pm
garrycol

Australia 

RAI - Remote Air Intact is designed for dusty conditions so hopefully clean air is going into the car - it doesnt need to be waterproof.

A snorkel because of its air intake position is also good in dusty conditions BUT its primary use it do raise the air intake when fording deep water. As such it it makes the entire intake system waterproof and raises the wading depth of the car where the wading depth with an RAI remains the same.

While a snorkel raises the wading depth the depth of water getting into the engine bay is still a consideration. If set up properly with a wading blind etc - the car can wade deep water with a snorkel because when the car is moving a bow wave is created and the engine bay remains relatively clear of water - until you have to stop and the water comes in and floods the various ECUs - many of which are not waterproof (why pu non waterproof electronics in a 4wd - the tfr case ECU behind the battery is an example).

So really - even with a snorkle - wading more than 700mm should not really be undertaken until really needed.

I dont believe the D3/D4 snorkle fits the RRS so the only option is to fully seal a RAI.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #532058 Sat Aug 05 2017 2:11am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1