Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Detailing & Car Cleaning > Car Polisher Advice Sought
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mark41

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Car Polisher Advice Sought

hi there,

I am looking to get a car polisher but no idea which are good or bad. Can anyone make any recommendations please? Is a dual action the best type?

Thanks

Mark

Post #463147 Thu May 28 2015 11:08pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

I have heard that DA (Dual Action) are the best.

However, ask the folks over at detailingworld.com they are seriously into their car detailing! 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #463169 Fri May 29 2015 9:57am
Ian.H

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

DA's are the "safest". You've pretty much got to work at ruining the paint with one of those to be able to do damage, where-as a rotary can burn through quite easily if you're not experienced. DA's are also good for applying the likes of glazes etc, or difficult to get to areas.

For a starter kit, the DAS6 Pro is great. Menzerna polish I find really good personally and equally I continually buy Lake Country pads.

I'm yet to tackle the RRS, but looking forward to doing it.

I bought a very similar kit as above (except mine came with Sonus pads, but I've always bought Lake Country ones as replacements) and have had it for ~3 years now, still going strong and never let me down. I've done 7 complete correction details with it varying from softish clearcoat on a couple of Ford Focus RSes to rock hard clear on my old BMW E46 convertible.

The thing to remember most IMO, the preparation is the key.. so make sure you wash, decontaminate, claybar, etc etc _before_ using the machine and you'll get some good results Thumbs Up

Here's a 50:50 of a 2008 Ford Fiesta bonnet I did back end of last year for a friend using Lake Country pads and Menz polish with the DAS6 Pro

Cheers..

Ian

Post #463171 Fri May 29 2015 10:10am
Saeedasghar

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Agree 100% with ian.h for a starter defiantly go with a DA even some professionals still use a dual action over a rotary in most situations down to its ability to be so safe on the paint. I my self own a buff daddy pro da which i have used on my rrs to get what I would in my view consider an amazing job. That said this is a deep rabbit hole and not something for the faint hearted. Took myself and a helping hand a little over 9 hours to prep ( wash, clay, iron x, wash, dry) then using the da and choice of polish (meguairs 205) wipe down (ipa 10%) then 2 coats of wax ( collinite 476s). Choice of products are down to personnel preference most established brands get about the same results.

Post #463191 Fri May 29 2015 2:04pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

great advice from the previous posts, i tend to favour Meguiars products and have a G220 DA polisher and a variety of pads, also a variety of Meguiars polishes and compounds. keep trying to find the time to do the RRS but in all honesty its not too bad. Did have the chance to use it on my wifes car after i reversed it into a ticket machine Whistle , the rear quarter panel was a mess, you could have grated cheese on it,,,,, a bit TLC with the polisher and varying compounds and it was brand new, was quite proud of myself ! ,,,, wifey was still not impressed though. I heard someone say once that the only way you can damage paint with a Meguiars polisher is to throw it at the car !
But as has been mentioned, preparation is the key, and some research, have a look at the manufacturers websites for lots of good tips. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #463204 Fri May 29 2015 5:56pm
sterling01

Scotland 

This is a bit drawn out, and there are 5 parts to it, but there is a whole load of good advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk Current - 2014 Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
Gone - 2017 Audi A8 Sport
Gone - 2007 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 - Great car.

Post #463207 Fri May 29 2015 7:04pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Ian.H wrote:
DA's are the "safest". You've pretty much got to work at ruining the paint with one of those to be able to do damage, where-as a rotary can burn through quite easily if you're not experienced. DA's are also good for applying the likes of glazes etc,

The thing to remember most IMO, the preparation is the key.. so make sure you wash, decontaminate, claybar, etc etc _before_ using the machine and you'll get some good results Thumbs Up

Cheers..

Ian

Biggest and most important but of advice here ☝🏻

Post #463210 Fri May 29 2015 7:24pm
Saeedasghar

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

[quote="sterling01"]This is a bit drawn out, and there are 5 parts to it, but there is a whole load of good advice

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP-eAddv2sk[/url][/quote]

I have watched hours of the junkmans videos. I will also second to recommend this as a first port of call for knowledge on all questions you may have at this point. This certainly got me off in the right direction. Wish you luck on the quest for the right shine Thumbs Up

Post #463234 Sat May 30 2015 7:21am
Mark41

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

thanks everyone for all your input. Think am going to look at a DA now. Can I use normal Meguiars Ultimate Polish with a DA or do I need a special polish?

cheers

Post #463309 Sun May 31 2015 1:08am
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

the meguiars ultimate range of polishes, waxes and compounds can be used with a DA, thing to remember is that all polishes are abrasive using the correct grade of pad is important, i use the cutting, polishing and finishing pads, depending on how much correction is required. You would'nt think to look at them there was any difference,,,,,,, the diference comes when they are in use. 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #463363 Sun May 31 2015 4:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1