RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Help, I'ts gone potty !!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

I have just had the Low Fuel Warning Modification done to mine. Now i have had all the warnings Gearbox Fault No Stability assist no emergency brake assist. Took back to main dealer, They said it is the Brake Light Switch itisme

Post #452186 Wed Feb 11 2015 10:58am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Yep. Common issue. Don't let them rip you off - the part is sub £20 and fitting takes 10 mins. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #452191 Wed Feb 11 2015 11:56am
Fish

Scotland 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

One of the first things i changed too when it started playing up Thumbs Up 2.7 HSE, Audi A6 Exec, Honda Accord Exec, Volvo 440, Volvo 360

Post #452192 Wed Feb 11 2015 12:05pm
harrygh60

Lost for Words wrote:
Yep. Common issue. Don't let them rip you off - the part is sub £20 and fitting takes 10 mins. Thumbs Up
yes they put VAT on that price They quoted me £80 When i asked Why that price for a clip in job. They said it was a 10 min job to fit, but then it had to be tested. I suppose they are stetching the labour Big Cry Big Cry :At one time i used to do these jobs myself, but i am to old to do it now Whistle Whistle itisme

Post #452196 Wed Feb 11 2015 12:21pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I'm sure you could manage with the brake switch. I've not done it myself yet but the important thing is not to compress it while fitting. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #452202 Wed Feb 11 2015 12:58pm
harrygh60

When you get to my age ,even the most simple jobs are an effort. The technition who was sorting mine out said the old one could be adjusted , but revert to the problem again,so he always fits a new one And it should have a certain amount of travel before opperating brake lights. He said that it also operates fuel supply, When you brake it tells computer you are stopping so limits fuel supply itisme

Post #452217 Wed Feb 11 2015 2:10pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

It's certainly a vital part of the car and can cause havoc. I believe one of the reasons why the car is so sensitive to it is that, IIRC, it is one of (only?) the full 12v feeds that runs though the TCM. Of course, if the car thinks you're braking, it won't change up, for a start. Similar reason as to why the Steering Angle Sensor and ABS sensors or X and Y sensors on a manual cause problems, just conflicting information. Rolling Eyes Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #452224 Wed Feb 11 2015 2:56pm
harrygh60

Well, you leave me Lost for Words. I understand some of what your saying. But a lot of this modern Tech goes over my head. Like EGR , ECU, SC, HD. Are we much better off than the days of Plugs and Points and webber carbs and coil. When most faults could be fixed on side of the road itisme

Post #452233 Wed Feb 11 2015 3:34pm
harrygh60

I know we are better off comfort and speed wise. But some of the old cars like Armstrong Sidderley Sapphire, were a dream to drive itisme

Post #452235 Wed Feb 11 2015 3:44pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

harrygh60 wrote:
Are we much better off than the days of Plugs and Points and webber carbs and coil.

Not much I don't doubt! Rolling Eyes

I would quite happily be shot of most of these modern contraptions. Stuff just isn't built to last any more and as a fan of clever mechanical solutions it does make me sad. Sad

Being 19 (I'm very conservatively minded for my age!), I just about manage to get my head round this stuff and learn quickly! My father and I share this account so with him being a trained mechanic, he knows the mechanics side of things well, but not so much the complex electronics. The systems are quite simple when you think about them and purely follow basic logic.

I suppose the electrickery does help, but I would certainly advocate mechanical solutions to the problems they solve if possible. Don't get me started on electric cars... Evil or Very Mad Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #452244 Wed Feb 11 2015 5:03pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

If you want to see how complex some of it gets, have a look here: http://vbf2.blackbox-solutions.com/Faultma...sis.action

You can log in using "demo" as the username and "genesisdemo" as the password. Wink

When you enter your VIN, it contains multiple software files for various ECUs and the method used to edit the Car Configuration File (CCF) using BBS equipment. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #452247 Wed Feb 11 2015 5:27pm
harrygh60

I will check that out later. As i said before i am getting a bit old for all this tech stuff. I am old enough to be your Grandad At 78yrs So you can imagine the problems i have with it. My first car was a 1934 Ford Eight,with wooden floor. And i have owned 54 Cars in my driving life. It is only in later years that i have kept a car llonger than a year itisme

Post #452250 Wed Feb 11 2015 5:55pm
Fish

Here is hopefully the conclusion to my story to give someone else who is suffering the dreaded christmas tree dash board some hope.
I was getting the holy trinity of suspension warning lights coming up randomly special programs unavailable etc and being reset by letting the car go to sleep and all would be good for a week or two. The alarms started to get more regular, every day. The only thing i did note was that it never happened while motorway driving, it was always A & B roads and car parks it would throw a tantrum.
The alarms escalated to the suspension warnings and also temp gauge would go full scale and the interior lights would come on and the hazard lights and door locks would activate and eventually it would not reset the usual way and the car would not start for some time at times.
I worked my way around the car changing the brake pedal switch, the upper tail gate switch, the rear brake bulbs for land rover ones and also went around every module and ECU plug i could find looking for signs of water ingress (paid particular attention to the EPB plug as this was also in the raft of alarms). I also changed the battery and checked my alternator discharge (which was a healthy 14 or so volts) i then went around all the earth connections i could find in the engine bay and front foot wells checking and all was good.
In the end i took it to the dealer and they checked all the wiring in the wheel arches (as i had done) as the main codes were leading to a CAN BUS fault. Big Cry
In the end they raised a Tech Request with Land rover and it came back to change out the CJB (central junction box) behind the glove box.
This was done and the fault that was making the hazards and door locks etc come on and also the failing to start had been sorted but i was still getting the usual suspension faults up. The codes were read again and it showed V0126-87 which i believe is to do with the steering angle sensor, this was changed out and now all is good in the world once again. Very Happy
I believe that my initial fault was the steering sensor as this would be why i always got the alarms when i was in car parks etc as i would be steering more and why it never happened on motorways. The second fault of the CJB seems to just be unlucky component failure as there were no sign of water damage and my car does not have a sun roof (sun roof drains run behind the CJB) I did however buy the blanking stickers for the holes in the 'A' pillar trims (a land rover Technical Service Bulletin LS501-006) just in case any water is getting in that way.
Sorry its long winded but i hope i have given someone else on here who is suffering with these symptoms a few pointers Thumbs Up 2.7 HSE, Audi A6 Exec, Honda Accord Exec, Volvo 440, Volvo 360

Post #456493 Thu Mar 19 2015 11:21pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Good news - great to see you're back on the road again in a happy RRS. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #456510 Fri Mar 20 2015 9:52am
Fish

Sorted at last

It's been a while but I thought I would bring my problems to a conclusion to maybe give others some hope!
After having it at the Stealers, Central Junction Box changed out and Steering angle sensor changed out, it stayed fault free for a whole 4 days, alarm bells should have rung when they were sending a technical requests to LR after they checked all the connectors for water ingress and found all ok ( the sum total of their fault finding abilities).
Took the car back and got in touch with Monarch garage in Glasgow, the boys there had it 24 hrs and found that there had been water in the transfer box ECU and after cleaning connections it was still throwing up errors.
This was changed out and 24 faults was reduced to 5 after test driving it over a weekend.
John kept me informed and said that the last intermittent faults (hazards flashing, limp mode, doors unlocking and internal lights coming on and temp gauge going to max) were pointing to a faulty instrument cluster but he wanted to do more checking before he would commit to changing this.
24 hrs later I get a call that they have removed the cluster and found an old poor cable repair which had not been soldered (a requirement on a Can Bus network) and also at the kick panel they found a crushed wire which they too repaired and after a further 24 hr test drive I received my car back fault free.
I can't thank the boys at Monarch enough for there work and knowledge these cars. Thumbs Up 2.7 HSE, Audi A6 Exec, Honda Accord Exec, Volvo 440, Volvo 360

Post #463013 Wed May 27 2015 2:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>