RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > SVR road test Autocar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
SVR road test Autocar

Quite a brief and limted road test comparison in this week's Autocar versus BMW X5M , Alpina XD3 Biturbo. No Cayenne as Porsche didn't supply one.
The SVR gets 5*, but if you delete the gough, there's very little info.

Post #462643 Fri May 22 2015 2:26pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the heads up. No need to buy it then.

It's total nonsense to shout "Hot Range Rover Slays Rivals" from the front page if those rivals tested don't include a Cayenne.

If I were Porsche, I too wouldn't supply a car, not because the Cayenne turbo isn't faster in latest guise or hasn't better handling but because I wouldn't trust Autocar's impartiality. In truth, based on the criteria which cause Autocar to get all foamy at the mouth, the Cayenne is probably better.

I expect Steve Cropley was too busy having another free lunch to care, so long as the JLR advertising revenue and scoops keep coming in.

FWIW, the tenths differences between the Cayenne and the SVR don't matter on normal roads and if you are pushing the car so hard to show up the differences in handling, you'd better hope there's nothing going to spoil your day coming round the next corner.

I bought the SVR because of the way it looks and the total package.

I like what JLR are doing in Solihull. Compared to the Cayenne which is made in Bratislava and then cynically shipped to Leipzig for finishing off to justify the "Made in Germany" badge, in Solihull, your car starts as sheets of aluminium and 4 days later has been magically transformed into an SVR. In Esoril Bue. Yes please. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #462844 Mon May 25 2015 8:15am
Ian J

United Kingdom 

Mark_N wrote:
FWIW, the tenths differences between the Cayenne and the SVR don't matter on normal roads and if you are pushing the car so hard to show up the differences in handling, you'd better hope there's nothing going to spoil your day round the next corner.

TV programmes like Top Gear and Fifth Gear seem to think that's all that does matter as most of their "road tests" seem to consist of little other than racing round a track

Post #462846 Mon May 25 2015 8:39am
mikef

United Kingdom 

Mark_N wrote:

It's total nonsense to shout "Hot Range Rover Slays Rivals" from the front page if those rivals tested don't include a Cayenne.

If I were Porsche, I too wouldn't supply a car, not because the Cayenne turbo isn't faster in latest guise or hasn't better handling but because I wouldn't trust Autocar's impartiality. In truth, based on the criteria which cause Autocar to get all foamy at the mouth, the Cayenne is probably better.

I expect Steve Cropley was too busy having another free lunch to care, so long as the JLR advertising revenue and scoops keep coming in.

I'm glad you said that because I think that Autocar's fawning over all things JLR is getting totally embarassing and a magazine with a long and distinguished history of impartial and informed journalism is fast becoming nothing more than an advertorial for JLR. In fact, after many years of being a loyal subscriber, I am cancelling my subscription this year because of this.

Post #462872 Mon May 25 2015 12:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1