RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 5 Year Service Plan - All that glistens....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mark_N

United Kingdom 
5 Year Service Plan - All that glistens....

I've now received details of the LR 5 year/50k mile Service Plan (£699) and I'm not surprised to find out it's not all it's cracked up to be, just like the GAP, Tyre and Wheel and Small Dent Insurance peddled by the dealer when you delve into the small print.

The problem is that the LR Service Record no longer specifies the service operations required at each service and instead there is some sort of computerised service record which can be obtained from the dealer on request. Whether this is some attempt to keep cars in the dealer network I do not know but there is no information in the documentation pack about what maintenance operations are required at each stage.

So, the service operations specified each year in the contract do not change where other manufacturers have an A-B-A-B cycle. According to the LR contract, the operations are limited to engine oil and filter change, pollen filter change plus other fluids check and top-up. Of course, I do not expect the contract to cover things like tyres, brake pads and discs but I wonder if there are other time and mileage scheduled operations which need to be carried out and which do not appear to be included.

I'm thinking specifically of such things as cam belt changes (maybe the V8 uses chains?), brake fluid change, aircon recharge and dryer replacement and so on. These are all maintenance operations which in other makes need to attended to based on time and mileage and which are not due to excessive wear and tear.

I have the feeling therefore that the maintenance deal is more a prepayment of maintenance which locks you in to the LR dealer, is relatively cost effective as far as it goes, but which does not cover all scheduled maintenance operations never mind those which are wear and tear related.

Any experience out there from people who are further into ownership than I am? Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #461419 Thu May 07 2015 6:27pm
Humbug

United Kingdom 

Bought the pack with my new MY14 in Dec 13 and had first service under it in September last year at 20k – invoiced for grand total of £0. You're right it is more a prepayment plan but seems very good value if each service is going to cost £140 when a basic service is going to be at least £300 (what I used to pay for an Audi Allroad in central London).

My paperwork specifies the operations at each service which I agree aren't too onerous but they are no different from any other manufacturer – the service pack on my wife's VW Up is almost identical and not that much cheaper to buy on a car that should have a fraction of the servicing costs of an RRS. It also only covers top ups of brake fluids etc, not changes. I don't think I've ever come across things like aircon recharge or cam belt change as part of a service plan, only as single-time operations at a specific mileage/age so doesn't seem unreasonable to leave them off this.

Unlike many overpriced LR products this one seems good value to me.

Post #461438 Thu May 07 2015 8:07pm
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

And look at it like this.. If service plan covers whatever, then it is carried out at dealer, then if something crops up under warranty then you are dealer serviced and warranty have no option but to pay out.. 5.0 Ltr Superchrged RRS2, Chile Red, Sideways out of junctions!
TDV8 HST Stornaway on a 08.. remapped.. now gone and replaced, was a mighty fine car..
4.2 SC First Edition when they first came out, quick car!

Post #461473 Thu May 07 2015 9:39pm
simonsti

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Just had my first service, wheels were rotated front to back to even out wear, car was washed and polished and they even cleaned inside the wheels.
And the bill came to £0Smile 2014 Nara Bronze SDV6
GONE TDV6 HSE RRS in Giverny green,Ebony interior, Side steps,Tints, PTI, Tow pack, mud flaps, Side strips and Dynamics pack.

Post #461512 Fri May 08 2015 12:25pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

simonsti wrote:
car was washed and polished

Nooooooo. Shocked 

Post #461517 Fri May 08 2015 2:30pm
Chrisr1806

England 

I didn't let them wash mine. Laughing

I hVe the service pack and its been fine so far, I wasn't charged anything for the first service at 9k miles. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #461531 Fri May 08 2015 5:00pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Dealer has confirmed there is an ABAB pattern with brake fluid change at 3 years and cam belt change is a long way down the line. Too used to a certain Italian manufacturer who want them replaced every 3 years. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #461573 Fri May 08 2015 9:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1