RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Accessory front and rear scuff plate redsign required?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Accessory front and rear scuff plate redsign required?

I am taking my shiney RRS on a Green Road run (we have no greenlaning here in Scotland as there are no public rights of way like there are down south) tomorrow and in preparation I thought I would remove the covers from the recovery points at front and rear...................... easy you would think, just remove the plastic trim............

Not if you have the accessory stainless steel front and rear scuffplates fitted! To access the recovery eyes you have to remove the rather large and quite heavy stainless steel scuff plates.... IMHO this kind of defeats the purpose of having underside protection plates if you have to remove them before going into the mucky stuff so you can get access to the recovery eyes when offroad. Both scuff plates need to have an access cover made in them to get at the recovery eyes without removing the entire scuff plate. I'm in for a visit to the local metal basher for a home-made modification I think.I'm not expecting to need a recovery (I did the same GRR in my 1st Evoque without getting stuck) but I may have to assist in recovering others. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #460400 Sat Apr 25 2015 10:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It's laughable really and suggests that the designers either have total confidence that the vehicle will never get stuck or that they believe it will never be used off road.

When I had a look at the RRS2 in the dealership it appeared that the recovery points aren't fixed but have to be screwed in place - rather like the tow points on normal cars. Is that the case or did I miss something? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #460407 Sat Apr 25 2015 12:37pm
Tim in Scotland

RRS, you are right, there is a large screw in towing eye in the spare wheel well - only one so you have to get all dirty on your knees locating the threaded receiver............ at only one end of the car! Gone are the days of the lovely strong points front and rear. Looks like I might have to see if I can buy another one so I can be prepared and have both in place before going off the beaten race track/ motorway and into the wilds. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #460408 Sat Apr 25 2015 12:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco

United Kingdom 
Re: Accessory front and rear scuff plate redsign required?

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I am taking my shiney RRS on a Green Road run (we have no greenlaning here in Scotland as there are no public rights of way like there are down south) tomorrow and in preparation I thought I would remove the covers from the recovery points at front and rear...................... easy you would think, just remove the plastic trim............

Not if you have the accessory stainless steel front and rear scuffplates fitted! To access the recovery eyes you have to remove the rather large and quite heavy stainless steel scuff plates.... IMHO this kind of defeats the purpose of having underside protection plates if you have to remove them before going into the mucky stuff so you can get access to the recovery eyes when offroad. Both scuff plates need to have an access cover made in them to get at the recovery eyes without removing the entire scuff plate. I'm in for a visit to the local metal basher for a home-made modification I think.I'm not expecting to need a recovery (I did the same GRR in my 1st Evoque without getting stuck) but I may have to assist in recovering others.

Are they really scuff plates or just a styling thing?

Post #460415 Sat Apr 25 2015 3:03pm
Tim in Scotland

They certainly don't qualify as sump/ transmission guards, that's for sure! They only protect the bits of the front and rear bumpers where there is the grey plastic "styling" pieces on cars without them.. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #460423 Sat Apr 25 2015 6:02pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Sounds like they don't really expect it to get dirty enough to need the protection or recovery points. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #460445 Sat Apr 25 2015 10:19pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

I suppose that's the downside to having a monocoque rather than the ladder chassis.mind you I know where the rear recovery point is on mine, but have no clue where the front one is on a MY10!

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #460451 Sat Apr 25 2015 11:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1