Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > 12s socket & charging leisure battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Stefan.lajszczuk

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Rimini Red
12s socket & charging leisure battery

Hi guys,

Last year I bought and fitted the twin electrics for my Sport (2.7 2006)

Since then I have bought a trailer tent to see if my young son would like camping.

Now, I'm planning to install a leisure battery into the trailer tent and have some lights, phone chargers, radio etc running from that when we go away. Currently the only electrics are that of the lights at the rear etc.

I have looked on the internet and most topics refer to a split charge relay that needs fitting to cars.

My question is with the Sport, is that already built into the car?

Can I buy a leisure battery and connect the positive cable to pin 6 (fridge ignition controlled) and negative to pin 7 (return earth for pin 7) These would be direct connections, fused where appropriate (near battery positive terminal)

Will I need anything else other than the cables mentioned?

Below is a hastily put together diagram of what I'm proposing.

If anyone can shed some light and offer advice I'd be most grateful.

Click image to enlarge
 Current - RRS SE Rimini Red

Previous - BMW 520, RR P38 4.0 V8 HSE, Vauxhall Vectra 2.5 GSi

Post #414938 Fri Feb 21 2014 11:12am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Take a look here http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/displa...cID=277516 Thumbs Up

If installed correctly your white socket should have a split relay Confused

Some good info here http://www.thebritishcaravannersclub.co.uk...wiring.php

Quote:
12S WIRING CODE, POST 1999 (EUROPEAN STANDARDS)

Pin Number Wire Colour Function
1 Yellow Reversing light
2 Blue Spare
3 White Return for circuits connected to Pin 4
4 Green Power feed for internal 12v equipment or to charge caravan battery via a relay in the caravan (not fridge)
5 Brown Spare
6 Red Refrigerator (via relay in car)
7 Black Return for circuit connected to Pin 6 12s Trailer Plug
Important. The earth returns must not be connected together each must be run separately back to the car body earth.

The 12s socket must be wired in a minimum of 2.5mm˛ cable, throughout the cables length.
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #414944 Fri Feb 21 2014 12:43pm
Stefan.lajszczuk

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Rimini Red

Cheers Muddy,

A lot of that article refers to mains power which I don't need. I have a hook up cable and a ctek charger if I need to charge it when I go somewhere with electric. In August I'll be 3 days without electric at Nurburgring camping, hence wanting the battery to charge whilst en route.

Pin 2 was used to charge the battery up to 1998. From 1999 onwards pin 4 replaced it.

Pin 4 under the new wiring diagrams shows that 12v would be drawn from the vehicle even with engine off. I don't want this , I only need power to the leisure battery when the engine is running, which is why I thought pin 6 would be suitable for this purpose.

You mention the white socket should have a split relay. Is this already fitted to the car or something I will need to retro fit??

Can you see the dilemma I'm having here?!

Edited:

I have re read the info you posted.

I'm thinking a simple relay on pins 4 and 6 fitted near the battery would allow the power to be applied once pin 6 gets 12v and allows pin 4 circuit to be complete thus charging the battery when ignition is on Current - RRS SE Rimini Red

Previous - BMW 520, RR P38 4.0 V8 HSE, Vauxhall Vectra 2.5 GSi

Post #414948 Fri Feb 21 2014 1:06pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Worth reading this http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk...re-battery Thumbs Up

Quote:
Never totally discharge a battery. It is unlikely that you will be able to recharge it again. In practice it is better to never let your battery discharge to less than 80 per cent of its capacity. If you allow the battery to discharge beyond half its capacity it is unlikely that you will fully recharge it again.

Quote:
If you use non- electrics sites, and your car is appropriately wired, charge the battery in the boot of the car during trips out.

How about this http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/displa...cID=268645 Very Happy

Quote:
There has been much discussion in the past about this and the most sensible suggestion that I have seen was that if, as a trial, you simply wired up a plug with the same connections as a 12S plug but with only the wires connected that would charge the caravan battery and then ran that from the towbar socket into the boot and connected it with crocodile clips to the boot battery, then it would charge the boot battery in exactly the same way as the 12s socket chages the caravan battery when you are towing.
IE No 2 pin, battery charging Positive. No 3 pin Battery charging Negative.
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #414950 Fri Feb 21 2014 1:14pm
Cupra

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Have a look on ebay at Smartcom, I have one in my sport and it runs my Avondale caravan fine and charges its battery

Post #417781 Fri Mar 14 2014 10:39pm
Simon B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi guys, so what is the correct wiring for a fridge and to charge the leisure battery? My caravan was built in 2004

Post #457676 Mon Mar 30 2015 5:07pm
Simon B

On my RRS I have a socket for the caravan lights but not one for the aux to charge battery and run fridge, when wiring an aux socket do I have to run cables under car to the battery or is the wiring already in the back of the car somewhere?

Post #459746 Sun Apr 19 2015 12:54pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
we use that method to charge a battery in a trailer for a elec/hydraulic hoist and it works ok
but as Drdill says it is only a trickle charge and if the hoist is used plenty it can drain the trailer battery down and odd times a full charge from the mains is needed, but if you plan using the electric supply on sites to fully charge the battery then it may work for you, just depends how much draw you will use when not on ehu Question
our trailer is on the back of the car nearly every day and 10amp fuse near the battery

Thumbs Up

Post #459747 Sun Apr 19 2015 1:16pm
Simon B

Yes but where is the wiring ? I heard but it may be able wire to so where in the boot area of the car, this would be much easier when installing a socket as it saves running cable to the battery. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Post #459895 Mon Apr 20 2015 6:40pm
Simon B

I've got one of those kits from smartcom, it says to get a 12v feed, but do I have to get it from the battery or is there an existing feed in the back of the car somewhere?

Post #459899 Mon Apr 20 2015 7:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1