RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Ordering SVR 'Blind'?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

TDV8Mat

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black
Ordering SVR 'Blind'?

Has everyone who's bought an SVR done so without a testdrive or even looking at one in the flesh? I am very tempted to get one, but 100k is a lot of money to spend without being sure. From the reports I've read, going and driving 'standard' 5.0 litre is not going to cut it.

I love my SDV6, but I'm worried the SVR will be too 'hardcore' for an everyday ride. Don't get me wrong, I have an Audi R8 Spyder and a Porsche 997, but I like the rounded comfort of the diesel engine Sport. I would probably sell my other cars and scale down to one, if I bought the SVR.

Has anyone any thoughts on depreciation on an SVR? Obviously it will lose money, but I'm not wanting to lose 40-50k in 2 or 3 years (I'd rather wait and buy used one in a couple of years if that were the case).

Decisions decisions, 1st world problems, eh?

Post #459012 Mon Apr 13 2015 9:47am
sally

United Kingdom 

The chances of getting a test drive before ordering is slim. We have all placed an order and kept our fingers crossed it offered what we wanted. You may be able to look at one if a dealer has one in for someone else. Plenty of pictures will be popping on on the forum with each car delivery.

The ride is more than acceptable on 22's, Well it is for me. If you dont mind where you park it ect, it could be a daily driver. I however am to paranoid to leave it in certain places.

Its great, Im completely in love with the SVR, 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #459019 Mon Apr 13 2015 10:23am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I agree with Sally. All of us with cars ordered them before there was any possibility of even seeing one, still less driving one.

What is remarkable about the SVR is that it can be quiet and refined - much more so than my equivalent of your R8 and 911 - yet when you want to, you can change a couple of settings and all hell breaks loose. This multi-faceted nature of the car is a constant reason to smile every time you get in the car. I daresay the worthy SDV6 is fine but certainly will not excite a sports car driver in the way the SVR does.

So, you can order with confidence. I have driven a Cayenne turbo, though not an S, and I can say with certainty that the SVR is a better, more engaging drive and a more special place to be. I am a big fan of Porsche's but they tend to be a bit one dimensional in what they offer.

Of course, the SVR will depreciate and we may well lose £40k in 3 years but in the meantime we will have had a ball. The SVR can be a daily driver if you want it to be but in common with any RRS, it's a big car so parking can be a headache. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #459024 Mon Apr 13 2015 11:22am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Either Auto-Express or Autocar has a group test of the SVR, Cayenne Turbo S and the Audi RS6 Avant this week I believe. Should be an interetsing read. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #459028 Mon Apr 13 2015 11:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

ROMANS near Sutton in Surrey, 10min from junction 8 of the M25 London bound on the A217 has an SVR on its forecourt as of last night fyi..

http://www.romansinternational.com P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #459061 Mon Apr 13 2015 6:38pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Guy Salmon in Stockport has one too (Ebony/Cirrus, 21" wheels, solid roof, aluminium finish):

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

Post #459062 Mon Apr 13 2015 6:53pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

There's no point asking me, I know how brilliant they are.... Very Happy

An SVR, for me, is best summed up in something I said on the recent press drives in that it rewards an accomplished driver whilst flattering an inexperienced one.
It truly is an incredible car; if you were to buy one, I know you wouldn't be disappointed and it has a broad enough spec list to satisfy all tastes

Post #459098 Mon Apr 13 2015 11:46pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

TDV8Mat

I know it isn't in your neck of the woods but Stratstone in Berkley Square, London have a demo. They had it on display last week at a boat and car event in old Billingsgate Market. I have the same dilemma as you but have seen 3 now but won't make up my mind until I test drive one - hopefully next week Very Happy

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #459100 Mon Apr 13 2015 11:59pm
TDV8Mat

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Thanks for all the great recommendations (think that was possibly a given on here, with hindsight Rolling with laughter ).

Stockport is not too far away so might look to go and see the one at Guy Salmon.

Does anyone have any thoughts on future value? In my eyes, all of the newer shape Sports seem to be holding their value pretty well, and if the SVR is only made in limited numbers, I would think it will command a decent premium above and beyond a normal SDV6 or Supercharged version? And before anyone says it, I know I should enjoy the car for me and not worry about the residuals further down the line, but I'm not rich enough to dismiss it without due consideration.

Post #459137 Tue Apr 14 2015 12:46pm
Dickie

United Kingdom 

TDV8Matt,
I've taken that gamble as I'll likely only keep my SVR for about 6 months max - very much hoping that by the then short term demand not keeping up with supply will maintain values. SOLD - 15 plate Estoril SVR

SOLD - 64 plate Aleutian Silver Supercharged

SOLD - 63 plate Corris SDV6 Autobiography

Post #459140 Tue Apr 14 2015 12:51pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Gosh, only 6 months? What will you replace it with??

Mine's a keeper, no question about it because there will come a point where, just like V12s now, V8 and especially supercharged V8s are increasingly uncommon. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #459148 Tue Apr 14 2015 1:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1