RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > My SVR Story (picture heavy!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 9 123456789>

philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black
My SVR Story (picture heavy!)

Today was a day 18 months in the making. Today I collected my SVR.

Forgive the following: This has been a journey of great excitement, absolute frustration, unquestioned admiration, humbleness, and, overall, a wonderful experience.

My SVR Story began, for the sake of poetic licence, 18 months ago this very day. In October 2013 the first shots of a mysterious beast prowling the metal of the 'ring appear. I had already pre-booked a test drive of a S/C Sport for Saturday, October 12th 2013 and following the drive, asked the dealer whether he knew what this thing was. "I don't know what it is, but I want one. And I want the first." Deposit paid.

Click image to enlarge

Chatter increased on this and other forums (fora?). The 'R-S' looked like it was to be a great car. I had to have one. I will have one.

Spool forward 9 months and an average of 0.8 emails/texts a day (!) to August and following the unofficial launch at Goodwood and the official launch at Pebble I was contacted by a certain Dave Warner. His sincere passion for the car was obvious, yet I did not know why. Dave put me in contact with the bespoke team at SVO as I was interested in exploring how I could make my SVR a little different. Through Dave I met with many other people, including Robert Jennens. I met with Robert and other members of the team toward the end of September and through this and subsequent correspondence agreed on what could and could not be done. This was early days for all.

The main concern I had is that whilst I love the Ebony and Cirrus trim, this is not compatible with jean-wearing that I often do. So we worked on designs around the seat. This is one:

Click image to enlarge

Virtual pint to the first person who spots what is different about these seats other than the colour.

There are several things I would have liked, but at the particular stage of the development of the operation were not possible.

Spool forward several months later and, for whatever reason, I find my order is lower down the list than I would have liked and I would be waiting a little longer for my car. Through Dave and colleagues, however, I did get a wonderful day with Dave, Robert and other senior members of SVO and JLR, and THE SVR - Dave's car is the blue-print car and it was ALL MINE.

Click image to enlarge

The opportunity to drive the SVR in all sorts of situations - the Warwickshire country side, the M40, the JLR test track Twisted Evil , was incredible. Not many can say what SVR is like to drive at 130 mph. Nor have heard the crackle, pop and bang when slowing down from 140 mph. Very Happy

If you think we are passionate about SVR, 5 minutes with anyone at JLR involved in it will blow your mind.

Build was scheduled for the end of March.

Now, I can't express my thanks enough to all that were involved, but with the turmoil of the order, the bespoke options, and the wait I got not only to see the production, but also visit MY CAR on the line. Again, I can't express my sincere gratitude to all those involved in making this happen for me - you and I know who your are. Thank you!.

My car was launched down the line to coincide with the opportunity to take a few photographs. Here are a few that I can show:

These are the fun bits. Notice the complete lack of a chassis:

Click image to enlarge

And this is the 'marriage': Funs bits bolted (4 bolts) to the body.

Click image to enlarge

By this stage I had the opportunity to sign my car:

Now, having seen my car built, seen the bespoke bits installed, seen it driven off the line, I wanted my car! The wait for the car to be shipped to the dealer was almost as anxious as the wait for the confirmation of build, or order, but eventually I was told the car was on its way.

By this stage the dealership was also doing all it could to make my purchase special. Constant updates of status and the car arrived at the dealership late on Thursday.

"Make sure they put it in reverse, not drive!"

Click image to enlarge

"Squeaky bum time"

Click image to enlarge

Landed

Click image to enlarge

Then off for PDI:

Click image to enlarge

on Friday, and a set of photographs taken by the dealership's publicity photographer

Click image to enlarge

including that of the seat - all Ebony seats with Reims Blue Stitching (no orange in sight):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Landlocked away until today. The dealership had gone to great lengths to make this my day. They had contacted my family to find something that would make this a special occasion, if not collecting my SVR was enough, and had bought a box set of CDs to play. Plus gave me a USB stick of all the photographs taken, plus several other nice touches. I was given time to study the car. WOW!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Now, driving a blue car to Old Trafford to watch United take of City is possibly not the brightest of moves, but my SVR was in good company:

Click image to enlarge

And after a fantastic victory (4:2 in case you don't know), a great drive home (although of the old school I'm still 'running in'):

Click image to enlarge

I really can't express my gratitude enough to everyone for the absolutely remarkable experience I have had in getting this truly wonderful machine.

Thank you is not enough.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

Post #458989 Sun Apr 12 2015 10:50pm
rigsby

England 

A great write up Phil, some wonderful pictures, and a journey you won't ever forget 👍😃👍😃 MY16 AUTOBIOGRAPHY Indus silver with some toys

2012 3.0 SDV6 Luxury gone, but a great motor

Post #458991 Sun Apr 12 2015 11:10pm
Nowaytk

England 

Bow down absolutely Censored fantastic Bow down
Great to see someone else with that fantastic engine cover, and some very nice touches there, thank you for sharing your amazing experience. 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #458992 Sun Apr 12 2015 11:13pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Congratulations...Nice patient write up but I honestly expected your car to be Orange something like this:

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media...86x603.jpg

That would have been something else Smile

So how many Estoril Blue owners do we have on here!? Getting common already Wink

Enjoy in good health Thumbs Up

Post #458993 Sun Apr 12 2015 11:46pm
ABSport

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

What a story how lucky to have seen all that. TBH that would be a dream come true to most of us, fantastic and pictures from start to scratch Thumbs Up Really enjoyed the write up.

Post #458996 Mon Apr 13 2015 4:06am
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

stunning phil enjoy im sure you will after the wait but looks like it was worth it Thumbs Up 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #458997 Mon Apr 13 2015 4:31am
dkesh

United Kingdom 

Stunning car enjoy and a stunning number plate to go with the car

Post #459001 Mon Apr 13 2015 7:19am
362bkr

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Picture heavy ? .....not heavy enough for me , I never tire of looking at that car . A great story and great pics and yet I find myself hating you ............ Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter . Congratulations mate . Thumbs Up

Post #459004 Mon Apr 13 2015 8:06am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It looks stunning and I wish you many happy miles and lots of fun with the car Phil. Must admit that even though it's only the SDv6 my car is proving a lot more fun to drive than any of my previous RRS's, I would become a holigan with an S/C dread to think what owning an SVR would do for my unblemished driving licence!

IIRC the plate 10WS is owned by one of the Stobbarts of the logistics company 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #459005 Mon Apr 13 2015 8:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

What a stunner, you sound as pleased as punch too!

The bit I like the most is the back end, quad pipes are very pleasing to my OCD eyes, plus it's a million % better to look at than the standard rear which I find very disappointing in the overall package.

Post #459014 Mon Apr 13 2015 8:51am
Dickie

United Kingdom 

Superb. I bet you're loving the result.
Welcome to the Blue Club... SOLD - 15 plate Estoril SVR

SOLD - 64 plate Aleutian Silver Supercharged

SOLD - 63 plate Corris SDV6 Autobiography

Post #459015 Mon Apr 13 2015 8:59am
Chrisr1806

England 

Bow down Bow down

Stunning Phil, and great write up too. Thanks for sharing. Thumbs Up

Maybe I'll be able to find an extra £50k under the sofa. Very Happy Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #459016 Mon Apr 13 2015 9:01am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

SPX wrote:
The bit I like the most is the back end, quad pipes are very pleasing to my OCD eyes, plus it's a million % better to look at than the standard rear which I find very disappointing in the overall package.

^^^ Totally agree - SVR looks so much better than the standard RRS2 (all other variants), especially the rear.

Congratulations! Great car. Enjoy! Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #459017 Mon Apr 13 2015 9:11am
sally

United Kingdom 

Its arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet you cant stop smiling! 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #459018 Mon Apr 13 2015 9:16am
Dave777

United Kingdom 

Awesome. I hope you have many happy miles in it while scaring passers by and animals with the noise!

Post #459023 Mon Apr 13 2015 10:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 9 123456789>