RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Powered Side Steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

iainm

United Kingdom 
Powered Side Steps

Newbie here - just took delivery of my Aleutian Silver HSE dynamic this morning - impressions coming from X5 are first rate. Went for a number of options as was spoiled on the X5

HUD
contrast Pan Roof
Meridian 19 speakers
Remote Heat
Speed limit display
Soft close doors
In control Apps - Waste of Money IMO
Mood Lighting - Pointless
Park assist
Surround Camera
High beam assist
Powerfold mirrors

Stopped short on powered side steps, but having played with them on a demo I want to install them

Question is
Why the HUGE disparity in pricing - Supplying Dealer want 3k
Accessories leaflet supplied with car £2160
Dealer in Exeter on ebay £1800

Can anyone shed some light on this and what should I be paying? I'm tempted with Exeter but its miles away!

TIA

Post #457657 Mon Mar 30 2015 3:25pm
RobF

United Kingdom 

I think your views on some of the options concurs with others: mood lighting is a waste of time, some people like the In Control Apps but there's nothing I've read that makes me lust after it.

The steps are great, unless you do a lot of offroad. If you are driving down tracks the steps are intelligent and don't deploy, as I found when driving down some farm tracks in the Black mountains on a shooting outing late last year. It's a first-world problem having to step all the way down from the car......

First, I would point your dealer towards this page: http://accessories.landrover.com/gb/en/ran...teps-kit/. Any dealer charging more than £2,752 wants a rocket up his bum. I confess I did pay £3k for mine but that was before LR published fitted prices. I'm still smarting......

£2,160 was probably the parts only cost, as is the Fleabay cost. I'm all for fitting my own mudflaps but it would take a brave man to fit these steps DIY.

Post #457658 Mon Mar 30 2015 3:50pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The dealer should have fixed rate pricing menu for fitting - you might even find it in Topix accessories section. LR allows x.x hours to fit accessories and any longer is to dealership account. The other problem is also that the car's systems may have to be set up to recognise them, which of course the dealer can do just by plugging the car into their computer system but you cannot do and have to take the car in - you are screwed either way! Getting the dealer to fit also gives you a 12 months warranty on parts and installing which you wouldn't get if you did the job yourself and hopefully the dealership has installed enough of these (even on new cars they are dealer fitted accessories) that they don't make any mistakes these days. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #457660 Mon Mar 30 2015 4:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

3 hours for the side steps and 1.7 hours for the electrics. Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #457661 Mon Mar 30 2015 4:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Car looks great and I certainly agree with you about the InControl,Apps, though the mood lighting I do like.

As for the accessory pricing, LR went through a change a while ago where they quoted for the supply of the accessory only with dealer installation extra. They then moved to quoting prices with installation included which were obviously more.

The deployable side steps are quite a lot of work to install and whereas some options a competent DIY-er can install, these are beyond that because the car has to be lifted squarely to install. Not only that, but there's wiring and a new control unit to install which requires a certain amount of the car to come apart with the real risk of things like trim clips breaking and things not going back quite right. The installation instructions run to something like 100 steps.

So, quite a lot of work, I heard from one dealer they allow up to a day for installation and it's not their favourite thing to do. It's a pity they are not available factory fit.

So, those prices. The £3k is the new price including installation, the £2160 is the option without installation and the £1800 is probably the same with a discount. If you are sure that includes installation, bite their hand off!

Edit: Sorry, post overlapped with others. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #457662 Mon Mar 30 2015 4:03pm
iainm

United Kingdom 

Thanks guys for the answers; only option I wish I had gone for was adaptive cruise.......

Not sure what the solar attenuating windscreen does but looking at the top of the screen it appears that there is a 'film' within the glass as I can see the edges

Will check with Exeter dealer then see if my local dealer will price match - I can't change a plug so have 2 hopes, Bob Hope and No hope of fitting steps.

As for off road - does the kerb count?

Post #457664 Mon Mar 30 2015 4:12pm
Tim in Scotland

The solar attenuating screen has a reflective surface built in to reflect UV out of the car to keep it cooler in places where the sun shines, you also need it to see the HUD on the inside of the screen 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #457665 Mon Mar 30 2015 4:15pm
iainm

United Kingdom 

Thanks for that - not really needed then today in Wayelz!! Its lashing down now

Post #457667 Mon Mar 30 2015 4:20pm
Tim in Scotland

Or up here in Scotland where it was snowing again this morning where I am 30m above sea level! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #457668 Mon Mar 30 2015 4:24pm
robbo770

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Well I just got my car back from the stealers with my supplied full powered steps for them to fit and activate, 4 hours straight with two techs on it and all was done,

got my steps for a very respectable price from Dan at Duckworth's, fitting was quoted at around £500 from the dealer, now I don't think I will be paying that due to a couple of issues outstanding.

but with the hours even at 4 off guidance and the normal dealer rate of £110 + vat that still was not bad with the steps getting activated in the car brain as well.

makes getting in and out a pleasure in the car now. had my FBH TSB new exhaust fitted whilst it was in for warranty outstanding work.

I am looking to see if full camera system can be retro fitted, will let you guys know. None currently

Gone
rejected RRS autobi Dynamic MY14.5 (Peter Vardy 👎)
D3 XXV full conversion
4.2 SC FFRR
4.4 FFRR
Freelander 1

Post #457709 Mon Mar 30 2015 8:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1