RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > The Upgrade after MY15.5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Sorry managed to post this is the wrong place. Must be age.

Post #452693 Mon Feb 16 2015 1:11pm
Baco

Belgium 

Apple CarPlay would be nice imho

Post #457532 Sun Mar 29 2015 6:11pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Evo agrees on the touchscreen ...

Evo 208_9 FF RANGE ROVER USE THIS http://evoapp.co.uk/1CtdtV3 2022 P440e AB

Post #457574 Mon Mar 30 2015 12:36am
Dave777

United Kingdom 

I didn't have a long test drive as we were going to buy one anyway, but I hope the touchscreen can be improved. I dint have any major issues on our drive. Hopefully they will improve it with software updates. I wonder if the my 15.5 cars are any different?

Post #457575 Mon Mar 30 2015 1:56am
chatuge

United Kingdom 

This is exactly what I was worried about. I''m currently in a 2014 X5 with the new idrive which even allows me to use the idrove as a touch pad and write things on it which turns to predictive text. It plays music videos, reads my texts, reads my emails, shows news and twitter feeds (and facebook should I say!). It interfaces my calendar, plays internet radio, has a full browser with google interfacing into the sat nav! And I've got to go from that to the RRS Infotainment! It definitely is making me wonder about whether I've made the right decision.

Post #457582 Mon Mar 30 2015 9:04am
JasM

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The BMW idrive is a great unit. I have it in my BMW and much prefer it to the LR system. 2014 L405 SDV8 RR Autobiography Cool

2012 RRS SDV6 HSE -Orkney Grey with A/B bodykit - Now Gone Sad
2007 RRS TDV6 HSE - Zermatt Silver - Gone

Post #457591 Mon Mar 30 2015 10:01am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The problem for LR is when do you stop driving the car and start driving an office desk around - who on this earth needs all of these things in a car? You are supposed to be concentrating on the other idiots on the road and not contributing to being another when you are concentrating on writing a text or writing things on the screen............ hardly surprising that BMW drivers have a reputation for not knowing what is happening around them - they are all too busy doing other things and not concentrating on driving. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #457620 Mon Mar 30 2015 11:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Baco

Belgium 

I agree, I've been driving an Evoque around for the last year (upgrading go a RRS Autobiography Dynamic next year) and I have very little complaints about the InfoTainment system. A quicker/better SatNav would be nice and a better/sharper/faster screen. For the rest the unit does it's work properly without offering many distracting items. Also, I find that the interface matches the car nicely. It's clean/clear, this matches the interior of the car nicely, not very graphic intensive (as in too 'busy'). I would love album pictures with my music, though, that would be a nice addition (I'm a music freak, so music is very important to me).

As for extra content I don't need all the extra bells and whistles with added apps, I have my iPhone and iPad for that. Facebook/Twitter on the main display? No thanks, again, there are other and better things for that.

I'm going to check the new interface out next wednesday, I have to bring in my Evoque for service, they have a Discovery Sport there which has the new interface. I'm curious.

Post #457627 Mon Mar 30 2015 12:45pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Baco, the current RRS Satnav software is the same as in my 2014 Evoque Dynamic Lux Plus Black Intelligence........ the difference is that there are now touch buttons on the screen where the Evoque has dedicated conventional buttons on the dash for the functions, it looks more hi-tech with them integhrated to the screen and not the surround. When a screen maker makes a touch screen that doesn't need cleaning every week, then we will have a real leap in technology! I have also gone from the 825w Meridfian with 19 speaker, surround sound etc etc to the lower spec Meridian system with 8 speakers - as a radio listener in the car the quality of the sound is less critical than for a person who plays HiFi music, but there seems to my ears to be little advantage to having the 1700w over the 825w or the 825w over the basic system! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #457628 Mon Mar 30 2015 12:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chatuge

United Kingdom 

It all depends what you're used to. For example, some of te features on the BMW are actually safety first! For example, when you elect to have HUD on a BMW it also brings all of the music up on that. Land Rover owners have to look left and down to change tracks - on a BMW with iDrive and HUD, you say "next track" and look at the HUD and it will sort it for you. And for many people that spend a lot of time on the road, as I do, the feature of having text messages read out is pretty important - it actually takes away any temptation to read that cheeky text! Having said that, Land Rovers go offroad, BMWs don't! (even the X5 is pretty naff in the snow as they put H rate tyres on them). So its swings and roundabouts.

Post #457633 Mon Mar 30 2015 1:27pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

chatuge wrote:

I don't understand why people wouldn't use the Incontrol app for music over the standard Land Rover one - it looks much better!

I can give you one very good reason. People like me can't be arsed to go through the tedious procedure of connecting our phone to the car by cable and disconnecting it every time we get into and out of our cars. My Iphone connects perfectly well to my car by bluetooth and I can play my music that way and get as much info as I need on the existing screen

I am also of the opinion that the current trend to presenting more and more information to the driver via a touchscreen is positively dangerous as every time the driver wants to touch the screen, he has to take his eyes off the road and the more information you present to him on the screen, the longer the time his eyes are off the road. I wouldn't be surprised in a few years, after some high profile touchscreen aided accidents, that somebody tries to ban the use of touchscreens whist driving. After all texting by mobile phone is already an offence

Post #457639 Mon Mar 30 2015 2:43pm
chatuge

United Kingdom 

Good debate Smile

I agree that touchscreen could end up being more distraction than good! So is HUD the answer with voice control? if so then that starts to add weight to the BMW system being safer to use - yes it gives a lot of info but it can be tailored to what you need to see. It can all happen via Bluetooth, and the screen can come up on the Head Up Display so you don't have to even look away from the road and can then use voice control. There must be a middle ground of function and safety I believe.

Post #457641 Mon Mar 30 2015 2:49pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
So is HUD the answer with voice control? if so then that starts to add weight to the BMW system being safer to use

Er, unfortunately not as I found out on a recent test drive. You can't see the BMW HUD if you're wearing polarised sunglasses as I do quite a lot

Post #457644 Mon Mar 30 2015 3:01pm
Baco

Belgium 

Same on the Land Rover HUD, not all is visible with polarised sunglasses, it states in the manual Neutral

Post #457647 Mon Mar 30 2015 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12