RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > I can stop sleeping in the car now...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
I can stop sleeping in the car now...

I am having one of these fitted this week, I have been rather concerned after the horror stories lol.

http://www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.uk/prod...ak-5-.aspx

Anyone else had one fitted? 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #456873 Mon Mar 23 2015 3:09am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

That system won't stop them stealing your motor though. What you need is a secondary switch for the fuel pump. Wink

Post #456892 Mon Mar 23 2015 10:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Or just to leave the car with no petrol overnight Wink 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #456897 Mon Mar 23 2015 10:30am
Nowaytk

England 

Even with a full tank, they won't get far Rolling with laughter 2015 HSE SDV6 Scotia Grey, ebony / lunar, colour coded, deployable steps, TV, sliding pano and a few other bits. Now gone
2018 Velar R-Dynamic HSE sdv6 silicon silver

Post #456900 Mon Mar 23 2015 10:38am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

This is essentially what the Porsche "Vehicle Tracking System" (VTS) is and it's an improvement on the Cat 6 tracker fitted to the RRS as standard because it requires the driver card to be present as well as a key to start the car. Break into the car, steal or clone to key and an alert is generated if the car is moved without the driver card present.

That's a big improvement on Cat 6 because it does not rely on the owner alerting the alarm company in the event a key is cloned.

Relies of course on keeping the card separate from the key; keep the two together and you have no protection if your keys are lost or stolen.

From what I know, I think you've chosen the best system available. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #456902 Mon Mar 23 2015 10:43am
alexv

United Kingdom 

I know I shouldn't but I keep my cayenne security fob in the ash tray because it won't work in my wallet, in theory its an excellent idea to have an additional security measure like this except where to keep it?
It won't work in wallet, to big to Add to key ring? Don't have just one coat to leave it in permanently as dealer recommended.

I should have the car sold next month, so my point is about VTS whilst it offers excellent security is a pain in the rear! On order expected October 16 macan turbo
Current car MY15 Hse Dynamic
Cayenne v6 MY64
RRS MY13 Black edition
Discovery MY61 xs
RRS TDV6 MY07
XC90 Executive
Yada yada yada

Post #456908 Mon Mar 23 2015 11:23am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Yes, the question of what to do with the fob is the chink in this system's security armour.

If you leave it in the ash-tray, it effectively downgrades the system to Cat 6. They don't put a hole in it to discourage people from adding it to their key ring but I find mine works fine in a wallet even if it does make it a bit lumpy.

"Is that your Thatcham Cat 5 driver card in your pocket or are you just pleased to see me??"

The system is of course designed in Italy where Man-Bags are taken as read. You could always have a sub-cutaneous implant but a bit of a hassle come battery replacement time... Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #456910 Mon Mar 23 2015 11:47am
oldcro

Scotland 

If (a silly idea in my opinion) you do keep the card in the car then hide it, at least switch it off so it would not work. switching the card back on is a one second action.

Post #456924 Mon Mar 23 2015 3:00pm
alexv

United Kingdom 

The problem is oldcro the fob should never be left in the car because it voids my insurance, it's supposed to be on your person when ever your driving the car and never left in it so that if it's stolen tracker immediately recognise your fob isn't travelling at the same time as the car, resulting in cobra calling you to ask if the car is ok, but if it's left in the car cobra have no idea! On order expected October 16 macan turbo
Cayenne v6 MY64
RRS MY13 Black edition
Discovery MY61 xs
RRS TDV6 MY07
XC90 Executive
Yada yada yada

Post #457149 Wed Mar 25 2015 6:28pm
alexv

United Kingdom 

Mark haha those man bags they sure are every where now, it wouldn't suprise me if those fobs were designed in naples "the hand bag snatching capital of Europe" On order expected October 16 macan turbo
Cayenne v6 MY64
RRS MY13 Black edition
Discovery MY61 xs
RRS TDV6 MY07
XC90 Executive
Yada yada yada

Post #457151 Wed Mar 25 2015 6:34pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

One solution would be to buy shirts with a breast pocket and keep it in there if the card isn't bigger than a credit card or if you prefer to dress more smartly then in a jacket breast pocket or if a really nice jacket in the ticket pocket 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #457161 Wed Mar 25 2015 7:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fletcher

England 

We had those card tracker fob things on the porsche , we didn't subscribe to tracker but when the battery went flat in the fob (cr2302 I think ) the car wouldn't start , sounds strange I know but it did do it twice , they last about 2 years .

Post #457182 Wed Mar 25 2015 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1