RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > In control apps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue
In control apps

Thinking about final spec for September order what do owners with in control apps think is it a must ? 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #456349 Wed Mar 18 2015 2:32pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

On the basis of the apps available so far, no. Aside from the limited choice, the InControl Apps button is fixed and takes up one of the positions on the left of the screen which further reduces the configurability of the home menu (in my case to none).

In principle, it's a nice idea to be able to run apps on your phone on the touch screen but the user experience is quite different. If I was buying again, I'd give it a miss. InControl Secure, Remote and WiFi I think are worth having. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #456372 Wed Mar 18 2015 4:51pm
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

many thanks Mark Thumbs Up 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #456380 Wed Mar 18 2015 6:33pm
R444SPT

United Kingdom 

I have in Control Apps - and wish I hadn't bothered. I principle, and idea is a sound one, the implementation is considerably lacking - the solution is full of buggy software, and the user experience is poor.

The standards app (music / contacts / calender ) work, but have plenty of issues for instance in music a number of compilation albums show every track as a seperate album entry meaning the scroll lists go on for ever, and the contacts list - seems to have a load of extra recently used contacts appearing with partial information at the beginning so even to get to A in the A-Z list you have to scroll down.

Finally and most annoying is that with IOS once the phone is connected you have to confirm on the screen you allow the car / apps connectivity - not great when it is under the armrest.

Personally with the benefit of hindsight - I wished I hadn't bothered -

On the plus side it does give a nicer control over music held on the mobile device from the standard screen.

Post #456511 Fri Mar 20 2015 8:55am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The main reason I have opted for it on my order is to use Sygic navigation, hope I will not be too disappointed!! Big Cry 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #456515 Fri Mar 20 2015 9:49am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

One thing to think about is that this is still new tech for LR. Last year i took delivery of one of the first cars equipped with any form of InControl and it wasn't ready for public consumption but that was very very quickly sorted out by LR after I made a very disparaging post over on BabyRR. 3 weeks later LR annouced the present system...................... and the two systems systems are not compatible.... so I have Incontrol but cannot add any apps. There are better systems on the way as the tech evolves so before you fork out for InControl Apps satisfy yourself that you can/ cannot wait for the next generation coming in 2016MY............ and if you are prepared for the next gen not being able to be used with the current system. Land Rover was supposed to be going to be one of the developers of the Apple In-Car system, that is still under developement but we hear little about it and futher involvement by JLR in it. Also bear in mind that once it is superceeded the system will be totally unsupported and totally worthless 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #456517 Fri Mar 20 2015 10:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I agree. I'll give it a few months and then to see whether it can be deconfigured to free up the button space on the screen.

Looking at the build spec which came with my car - dates 30 Jan 2015, I can see a build option under "Additional": A21 InControl Apps which suggests there's a separate box or board to run these apps, it's not just a software option

Given the rapid change of technology, I'm not sure LR should continue selling this poverty spec installation. As Tim says, it will quickly become outdated and you'll wish you hadn't bothered.

OTOH, I'm finding the InControl WiFi good. Phones and iPad connect to it giving internet connectivity on the move with a connection to an alternative service provider. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #456518 Fri Mar 20 2015 11:51am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Tim in Scotland wrote:
One thing to think about is that this is still new tech for LR. Last year i took delivery of one of the first cars equipped with any form of InControl and it wasn't ready for public consumption but that was very very quickly sorted out by LR after I made a very disparaging post over on BabyRR. 3 weeks later LR annouced the present system...................... and the two systems systems are not compatible.... so I have Incontrol but cannot add any apps. There are better systems on the way as the tech evolves so before you fork out for InControl Apps satisfy yourself that you can/ cannot wait for the next generation coming in 2016MY............ and if you are prepared for the next gen not being able to be used with the current system. Land Rover was supposed to be going to be one of the developers of the Apple In-Car system, that is still under developement but we hear little about it and futher involvement by JLR in it. Also bear in mind that once it is superceeded the system will be totally unsupported and totally worthless

Tim, do you have any info on what is in MY16 or if not are you sure it is changing? My delivery date is probably going to be close to MY16 at this rate!! 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #456521 Fri Mar 20 2015 12:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1