RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Offroad Wheel and Tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Offroad Wheel and Tyres

One reason for returning to RRS for me is to reduce from a nice car and a Defender to just a nice car that can handle all the on and offroad driving I do. My new car is being delivered on 22" Style 504's but I would like to have a set of smaller wheels shod with more offroad biased tyres for those greenlaning outings I now do (my days of serious offroading are now gone) as I don't want to scuff those 22" wheels and suspect that the tyres will be susceptable to punctures. So has anyone any ideas of the smallest wheels that can be fitted to an RRS2 and what offroad tyres are available? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #455729 Fri Mar 13 2015 9:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rangiejools

Australia 

I have fitted Pirelli Scorpion ATR 275/55/20 tyres to my 20inch rims. I've done this as I had a couple of moments (!) using the original tyres on the 5km muddy dirt road leading to our house last winter. If your car has the Dynamic option I believe that 20" are the smallest rims you can fit. Otherwise I think 19s are ok.
The Scorpions are almost as quiet as the standard tyres and only a little bit bigger in diameter. The ride is slighly firmer which suggests thicker sidewalls.
Taking a friends Sport to the desert next month fitted with these tyres. Interesting to see how they go. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #455743 Fri Mar 13 2015 12:32pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

If you can fit 19", then the current tyre of choice for max off road capability is now the Goodyear Duratrac. Sadly the MTR which you would have used in the past is no longer produced and Duratrac is the most aggressive 19" available.

It's not as aggressive though as the MTR, but does provide a good compromise, and a higher level of off road traction than the AT's of old.

But I don't know if the 19" wheels fit. I would suspect that the spare is a 19" get me home wheel?

What are the wheel options on the configurator?

Ian Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #455753 Fri Mar 13 2015 4:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

LRCS advises that currently there are no offroad tyres suitably rated for the RRS2 and Dan@Duckworths advises to wait until later this year when General Grabber will be launching a tyre load and speed rated for RRS2. Will just have to use my Defender 90 for dirty drives then! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #455795 Sat Mar 14 2015 9:22am
Bob.

United Kingdom 

Similar discussion re L405 on FF forum http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic20116....road+tyres

Post #455874 Sat Mar 14 2015 10:28pm
Humbug

United Kingdom 

19" impossible on any RRS2 with an SDV6 (the TDV6 has smaller front brakes – just seen a few Euro cars in the Alps with 19" and proper tyres).

In process of swapping over my 20" onto Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season – which claim 15% off-road bias – after 25k on the original Michelin Latitude but wonder if they'll make any difference at all. Must say, though, that the Michelins got me through two winters of pretty hard off-road use without a problem but think it shows how good the car is that it can cope with useless tyres.

Post #456070 Mon Mar 16 2015 4:46pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The market demands big wheels with short sidewalls. This precludes "proper" off road tyres. The best you can hope for is an AT like the Grabber AT - although it's a bit noisy for a luxury limo like the RRS2.

My guess is that this is why LR spent so much time/effort developing TR and TR2 - in order to allow their 4x4 to actually do 4x4 stuff on the very infrequent occasions that a townie finds themselves off tarmac for any reason. The fact that the modern Land Rovers are so good off road when wearing 80/20 tyres is testament to those systems engineers. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #456084 Mon Mar 16 2015 6:46pm
rangiejools

Australia 

Unfortunately, down here in Aus, lack of sidewalls are a big problem here on rough dirt roads and rocky tracks. The local 4x4 mags always give LR a bashing for fitting such large wheels that restrict the choice of suitable tyres. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #456159 Tue Mar 17 2015 2:18am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The reality is that the vast majority of the output from Land Rover's factories will never go off road. LR have had to ensure that the on-road performance keeps up with BMW and Porsche in on-road ability. This means, amongst other things, big brakes. Big brakes means big wheels. It's then only TR that enables LRs to out perform their rivals off road. I suppose the ability on road tyres is more than most need so it's not a bad compromise. It's annoying for those who want to fit more robust tyres though, that's for sure.

I've toyed with buying the 18" rims that fit over the Brembos on my TDV8 but even then the choice of tyres isn't great. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #456173 Tue Mar 17 2015 9:14am
Tim in Scotland

RRS, IIRC when I was looking for MT's for my TDv8 the only wheel that would fit over the Brembos was a Disco3/ RRS 19" wheel - anything else fouled the outside edge of the Brembo calipers. There may be more open designs available now though, I think Bowler had some special designs in 18" but they were very very expensive and were aimed at the offroad racing fraternity. My reason for wanting some more offroad biase is that eventually I want to reduce to one car - I have a 19 year old Defender 90 to use at the moment but now being on the down-ward slope to retirment in 3-4 years time I hope to use the RRS2 for greenlaning type offroading rather than for tearing up the countryside type offroading!

Edit

I have spoken with Andy at AJS Tyres who sponsor most of Martin's other forums and they recommend the OEM style 520 20" and the new General Grabber tyre designed specifically with RRS2 in mind. Unfortunately supplies of the Grabber tyre were supposed to come into the country in January/February this year but now AJS reckon they will be coming in in May. One thing I learned from AJS too is that General Tyre is part of Continental Tyres, I never knew that! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #456175 Tue Mar 17 2015 9:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1