RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > To buy or not to buy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
To buy or not to buy

Hi guys, I have a bit of a dilemma, and I'm hoping you can help! We are due to have a 24 hour test drive next week of the RRS2, took the car out for an hour 2 weeks ago and loved it. We currently have a RRS1 and an Audi TT. Audi is coming out of warranty in a few months and it has been a faultless fantastic car. We are looking at going down to 1 car as the RRS just sits on the drive all week but with all the problems the RRS2 is having I'm having second thoughts about it as this will be our only car we can't afford to be going back and forth to dealers as it will be the Wife's main car to go to and from work and weekend car. So, my question is, would you buy at the moment or wait a while till any problems have been ironed out? Also if you have bought one already and you have had any issues but had the choice again would you still have bought it? Sorry if this is a bit long winded but we want to make the right choice!! Thumbs Up

Post #453274 Sat Feb 21 2015 1:33pm
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

I've got one and ordered another love it must admit haven't had any problems but thought the only problem is faulty locking wheel nuts so wouldn't let that put you off Thumbs Up 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #453277 Sat Feb 21 2015 1:50pm
rigiver

Scotland 

Hi

I have had mine sine mid November and can honestly say it is the best car I have ever owned and I have had a fair few over the years. Only real issue I have is the quality of the front seats which I will be speaking to my dealer about soon.

I think when you go through all the posts on this web site, which is also one of the best I have come across, you will find a lot of guys and girls who are passionate about their cars and rightly so will complain when spending upwards of 60k on a car that isn't right, but there are loads of owners who have bought without any real trouble and I for one wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

The RRS2 has consistently come out top in all of the press reviews and is in short a brilliant car.

Cheers

Ian
2015 MY HSE Pana roof and other toys, Corris grey.

Post #453280 Sat Feb 21 2015 2:01pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

You're sorta right rigiver......but part of the purpose of a forum like this is to share experiences

and sometimes have a good ol moan to let off some steam.... Laughing

Baxc

I have issues that I really don't expect on an 80k car.... but none that are insurmountable and none that would stop me keeping

this one or buying another RRS.... Nothing else out there comes close still...

It hasn't been off the road in 4 months and i'll get most of the issues sorted in one visit or perhaps at a service...

Some of the issues are just LR trademark and since you already are an owner you're familiar with them.....

This L494 is an outstanding and very accomplished car with a few warts !!! Laughing 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Last edited by andman on Sun Feb 22 2015 1:18pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #453281 Sat Feb 21 2015 2:11pm
Gavin Beecham

United Kingdom 

Had mine a year and granted it has been in for a fault but have to say it's been fine. No different to any other new car I've had.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
(Did get a full fat RR to smoke around in when it was in for its fault!)

Post #453326 Sat Feb 21 2015 8:35pm
rangiejools

Australia 

I've had mine since last May. No problems apart from crinkley back seats, sloshing fuel tank ( fixed now) and a couple of other very minor things. It's a blast to drive, and very economical. Haven't regretted buying it one bit. Look forward to driving very day. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #453349 Sat Feb 21 2015 10:34pm
baxc

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thanks for the replys guys, all sounding pretty positive at the moment Thumbs Up

Post #453378 Sun Feb 22 2015 11:35am
ironada

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I was pretty uncertain at first too, although I have had several Discoverys, I thought the Sport would be too much of a compromise (smaller boot, harder ride, too 'drug dealer') - but I have to say I absolutely love it. We use it on a farm where we keep our traction engine (even with naff tyres for off road), tow lots of machinery, fill it with junk and an often wet Labrador (got a full boot protector), and generally abuse it. On the days it is clean, it is a different vehicle - prestigious, great on the road, great brakes,and decent handling given the size of the thing (mine does has the dynamic option which helps a bit I think). When I'm rich enough I'll get a new one. Do it, and enjoy it. HSE Black - Orkney Grey, ivory leather, privacy glass, tow bar. GBNF - Discover 4 XS Nara Bronze (11); Discovery 3 HSE, Zermatt Silver (57); Discovery 3 HSE, Buckingham Blue (55); Volvo V70 Titanium SE (53); Audi A4 1.9 TDI SE, Denim Blue (02); Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6, Black (99-V); VW Corrado VR6, Red (92-K); Toyota MR2, Racing Green (94-M); Nissan Sunny GTI, Red (92-K); Mk1 Toyota MR2 T-bar, Red (89-G); Citroen AX GT, Red (87-E); Talbot Horizon, Snot Green (83-A, I think).

Post #453392 Sun Feb 22 2015 3:14pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

baxc wrote:
Thanks for the replys guys, all sounding pretty positive at the moment Thumbs Up

Absolutely Baxc.... keep us posted.... you really will not be disappointed 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #453394 Sun Feb 22 2015 3:35pm
Fletcher

England 

Hi, I went from 2 cars and a van down to 1 car and the van , lasted about 3 weeks we really mised the second car so we bought another one to replace it , still waiting for the rrs to be built . Good luck with your dilemma .

Post #455343 Mon Mar 09 2015 9:43pm
Gal Dove

Got mine new last April, HSE in Corris with Pano roof. If I knew then what I now know I'd have walked away from the 'handover'.

Misaligned O/S fron & rear doors (fixed), Bonnet needs to be slammed down to get it to engage on both sides, gap above the rear PU that exposes wiring loom, awful Infotainment system - slower than something very slow indeed and even slower on cold mornings due to the hard drive being slow to spin up and (what looks to be heading towards) crap quality foam/filler & leather on the drivers seat. I'm six foot tall but I find myself almost trying to 'jump' in to the drivers seat whenever I get in to the car as the edge of the swab is showing signs of wear after 12 months - and 4,500 miles!! Shocked

The exposed wiring loom that's strapped to the back of the rear differential (just crouch down and take a peak at that the next time you get the chance) - all ripe for continuous exposure to water and crap from the road - how's that going to fare, I wonder...? Getting the heated seats switched on........oh, God what a work-up that is! The wife's Volvo V40 is just so easy to live with - in so many ways!

But what really brought it home for me was a quick recent visit to my local BMW dealership; night & day when it comes to build quality. I have to say that I'd never get an X5 or X6 as I think that they're a bit of a non-car but the build on those Beemers is just fantastic (I was in there looking at a 3 series touring to replace my RRS - which will be for sale soon!).

On the plus side.........it's great to drive, I'm getting 30 to the gallon, it's a real head-turner and is still relatively rare, it'll hold it's money well(ish) and is very spacious!

It's just so badly let down by things like the Infotainment system - and the gap 'round the boot seal!!

It's been my first ever brand new car and I was so chuffed (and proud) to be able to walk in to a dealership and spec a car exactly as I wanted it after 30 years of driving other people's 'cast-offs'. Now, I just feel let down by the product - and JLR themselves.

Sorry that I haven't got many good things to say but it's just my opinion.

All the best, what ever you decide to do! Thumbs Up MY14 RRS2, Corris, Pano, 50/50 Cirrus/Black leather, Meridien sound, 22" Style 6's, Bespoke Gap around tailgate.
Porsche 911 (just left!)
1972 VW Bay Camper (cooled by the air alone!!)

Post #455461 Tue Mar 10 2015 9:47pm
Chrisr1806

England 

Infotainment is fine on mine and I never even notice the boot seal.

I'm extreme toy pressed with it, roll on the next one in 2016. Thumbs Up Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #455478 Tue Mar 10 2015 11:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1