Home > Technical > SUPERCHARGED LPG CAR OWNERS - ADVICE PLEASE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

B9BS X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
SUPERCHARGED LPG CAR OWNERS - ADVICE PLEASE

Hi guys

Are their any RRS s/c LPG owners here?

Ive had a few cars run on lpg and have never had any issues and am thinking of converting my s/c, any thoughts?

Theres a chap in Birmingham who can fit a Prins system with the flash lube kit for about £3000, Ive never heard of the flash lube kit until Ive started researching for this car.

Can anyone advice if its worth doing as I am planning to keep this car for many years? And if the flash lube system running on a Prins system will be safe to run my s/c?

Advice from s/c LPG will be much appreciated! Thumbs Up

Post #444211 Wed Dec 03 2014 1:56am
crammy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

hi mate. i think the general response from this forum when someone else asked this was that lpg is best avoided on the supercharged but works great on the 4.4

Post #444226 Wed Dec 03 2014 10:26am
B9BS X

Thanks for the reply.

Ive seen a few s/c advertised before I bought mine who have been running lpg for a few years and say they have had no issues. My car at the moment wont be driven much as ive got a few cars but the more I drive the more Im enjoying it so may turn into a my everyday car rather than a weekend car Mr. Green

So the lpg is just a thought for now thats why I wanted to get feedback of members on here who own a s/c model that is lpg'd to see if its worth doing and if if there were any long terms issues?

Post #444228 Wed Dec 03 2014 10:35am
Michael7s

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

considering cost of system and very likely engine trouble it is not worth. Just calculate cost of running just petrol and lpg £/mile and how many miles you really make per year. You would have to make high miles per year to make it worth.
Then, if your engine says goodbye, you need to spend another 3-4k for replacement.
They are just not suitable for lpg due because lpg has higher ignition temp and it is dry fuel so engine components are not "oiled" comparing to petrol

Post #444231 Wed Dec 03 2014 11:14am
B9BS X

Thanks Michael7s for the info, im probably going to leave it on petrol and enjoy trouble free motoring! but have read mix thoughts on the whole lpg idea as a few members have wrote on previous posts that lpg is fine as long as its installed correctly and also fitted with the lube system so still 50/50 undecided ???

Post #444343 Thu Dec 04 2014 2:33pm
ian-r

Hi

I have a LPG supercharged as do some others here, we tend to communicate with the PM system as if you mention 'supercharged' and 'LPG' people hate you ! Big Cry

In all seriousness, there are a few horror stories of them on LPG but this was mostly the early cars where they didn't get the set up right. The engine suffers from valve seat recession, which is why you have a flashlube installed to overcome the issue. Of note, it needs to be the electonic system as the engine doesn't create vacum to suck it through when the supercharger is on boost.

Mine has been going for 5k miles now, after around 200 mile getting the set up right it hasn't missed a beat. I get around 210 miles knocking about round town for £40. On a motorway run it will do 240 - 250 miles to £40.

I was the same as you, whereby im keeping my car for a while so didnt mind the spend, my set up cost £2300 which im sure i have made back already. All i would say is make sure the installer has done several of them before. I would highly recommend the garage I went with. I see quite a few sport supercharged or FFRR supercharged at the LPG pumps, when I chat to them no one reports issues. Its all to common that the bad stories make their way here and not the good.

If you wanted to chat / ask more questions in detail happy to chat on the phone or PM me.

Post #444445 Fri Dec 05 2014 5:40pm
ian-r

Also, johnunleashed has a s/c LPG also running well, sure he would be happy to chat with you as well.

Post #444446 Fri Dec 05 2014 5:42pm
B9BS X

Finally some positive feedback Thumbs Up

Post #444572 Sun Dec 07 2014 6:21pm
marcoos_1

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

We run a Vogue SC on LPG. No issues at all.....it's the way to go. Flash lube is essential as is getting the setup right. Getting the right installer is important...just make sure you get someone that has done a few and knows their stuff......even if you have to travel or send the car it's worth it.

And take it from me......the feeling of having THAT engine at those running costs is second to none!!! You just can't beat filing that tank and grinning to yourself as you waft off into the distance Rolling with laughter

Post #444604 Sun Dec 07 2014 9:51pm
B9BS X

Thanks for your input marcoos_1 and ian-r, I think LPG is getting more and more to the top of the list for the great advice you guys are giving me Thumbs Up

Post #444625 Mon Dec 08 2014 7:57am
MY06HST

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Java Black

What installers are recommended for this conversion. Being ready and it defiantly seems the key to success is in the installer.

Post #454580 Tue Mar 03 2015 11:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1