RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > press accelerator pedal, slight delay then car jolts away
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ed68

England 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black
press accelerator pedal, slight delay then car jolts away

Hi guys

Car is a RR Sport 2005 4.4 v8 Petrol

This has been a very intermittent problem with my Sport since I bought it over a year ago, it only happens less than 1% of the time but it's a problem regardless and about time I looked into it

So the problem only seems to happen if I'm out and about driving, it has yet to happen from initially starting the car

So if I come to a junction and slow down to a near stop or complete stop when pressing the accelerator to move away sometimes I get no initial power and then after about half a second the car jolts off like a bat out of hell!!! I am assuming it's moving fast as the revs are up as my foot has been on the pedal for the half a second or more so it's not a smooth take off but does anyone have any ideas why sometimes the engine isn't reading the accelerator pedal for that half a second?

Any likely mechanical culprits that would cause this intermittent problem?

thanks!

Post #454223 Sun Mar 01 2015 12:14pm
gogsy1956

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bali Blue

Hi ed
I think this is because the car is pulling away in second gear, it happens in mine as well. I believe a solution is to drive it in sport mode or select neutral when coming to stop then when you select drive again it will be in first gear.

No doubt someone will put me right 2010 RRS, TDV8
bali Blue / colour coded
side steps / flappy paddles
black perforated leather
22" overfinch
heated everything, TV,fridge ...... now with gold calipers and mud flaps !( black mud flaps that is) !!
Many years ago,,,,, 1955 series 1 landie , sometimes wish I had kept it

Post #454231 Sun Mar 01 2015 12:59pm
ed68

England 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Java Black

Thanks Gogsy, it only happens less than 1 in 100 though so to select neutral every time I come to a stop is a lot of hassle for not much gain, I'd really just like to get the mechanical problem sorted. Also it doesn't feel like it's pulling off in 2nd gear at all, it pulls away with a lot of acceleration and drives normally, there is no lag or anything just a delay in the very initial pedal response

Anybody else have any views or experienced this?

Post #454237 Sun Mar 01 2015 1:36pm
CDS

Have you checked that you don't have a sticky caliper.......had a similar issue on my D3 for 12 months, finally diagnosed when the caliper seized solid Shocked Over for a visit from disco3.co.uk

Post #454246 Sun Mar 01 2015 3:13pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

What you are experiencing might be the shift strategy built in to the software. JLR and or ZF decided it would be a good idea to build in several functions and one is called the stop go. If you are in stop go traffic where you are coming almost to a rest and then moving off again several times the software detects it and stays in 2nd gear without downshifting to 1st. If you stamp on the gas however it will (eventually) downshift and you get the 'scalded cat' takeoff.

After customers kept taking their cars back complaining of a 'fault' the software was updated several times to modify the gearbox behaviour.

Your best choice might be to have the fault codes read (must be a Land Rover specific not just a generic reader) to see if you have a problem with the engine/gearbox/torque converter/wiring etc.

Correct the faults if any and at the same time have the engine and gearbox software checked for available updates.

Whilst it is plugged in ask the technician to reset the gearbox adaptations.

If your gearbox hasn't been flushed i.e. drained and refilled with fresh fluid it would be a great idea to have it done. May fix your problem but if not it is worth doing anyway to prolong the life of the gearbox. Search the site for megaflush and you'll see that it can make a world of difference.

If still no joy then more extensive investigation might be needed but it can be difficult to track down faults like these as there are so many systems that could be involved.

Ask me how I know Rolling Eyes 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #454518 Tue Mar 03 2015 3:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1