Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > eBay & Bargain Spots > Definitely not a bargain! Avoid
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

thisidentifiesme

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Definitely not a bargain! Avoid

Well just an update.

Sadly after a six hour journey I was met with a dishonest seller!

The cars been involved in an accident with both N/S doors badly repaired and aligned, the front bumper badly glued on, the N/S headlamp cluster is broken so almost falling out and has scrapes visible from impact, the grill has broken clips so lose and falling off, the side steps had the plastic trips falling off and the side door trip on the damage repair side also falling off and appears to be glued on out of alignment and sticking out The car had damage all around the body work (zsl me extremely minor) but nonetheless not disclosed despite questioning before going to see it.

It's also had a long block replacement to a later euro 5 spec engine from Jag which I confirmed with Dragons prior to going to see it but does not have a warranty as initially claimed.

The boot was also damp and the air suspension seemed knackered. Hasn't had a gesrbox flush/ change ever in it's life, and bushes hadn't been replaced. The sests also worn and the driver bolster so lose that when I went to get on it simply slid off.

The car also had evidence of mould near the 12v point and in various nooks.

Despite having agreed to £12500 before going to see it and knowing this was a bargain if as described I walked away from it.

Any seller who could lie about the evident causes me concern about what else he had to hide or lie about that isn't visible.

All in all a twleve hour round trip and a disappointing day Sad

I also see the sellers relisted it failing to declare any of the stuff I pointed out to him (despite him probably already being aware of it) Censored

Have been left with about £300 odd in expenses and a £50 refundable despisit he has failed to return so will pursue that with him or court if necessary. Censored

As a warning the link is {link_removed}

Avoid at all costs! It's HPI clear too so another reason I suspect he is aware of the damage and the low price.

I didn't suspect it at first due to his feedback but it seems this is predominantly from his buys rather than selling feedback.

Last edited by thisidentifiesme on Mon Mar 02 2015 8:16pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #454334 Mon Mar 02 2015 5:55am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Please don't post the same post in numerous areas of the forum Wink

Post #454340 Mon Mar 02 2015 7:38am
thisidentifiesme

My apologies, wasn't done to spam the site, just thought I would post it in the areas where it's most likely to be picked up for anyone who may come here for help.

My apologies again Sad

Post #454348 Mon Mar 02 2015 8:13am
shadrack

United Kingdom 

ive done same spent 12-15 hours travelling (total) and had to leave the car as its a dog, gutting that the expense of travel but always better to walk away than buy a shed

Post #454399 Mon Mar 02 2015 7:01pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I've done the same and they were franchised LR dealers Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #454405 Mon Mar 02 2015 7:32pm
thisidentifiesme

I'm glad I walked away, was a head vs heart moment and dreading a train journey home Sad

Sadly he thinks it's acceptable to keep my deposit which was agreed as refundable if not as described. He doesn't see the two NS doors and wing having been replaced and badly aligned, the front bumper glued on and out of alignment, the front grille clips broken and falling out, the N/S headlight with visible scrape and broken clips resulting in it falling out and being loose, various other bits of damage around the vehicle, mould inside the vehicle indicating possible water/ flood damage, a broken drivers side seat, side steps that are falling apart and a non existent warranty he assured the engine came with as being unusual for a vehicle that's eight years old - he also pointed out the obvious that I wasn't buying a new car Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter

He's claiming that the panels were removed by the garage that replaced the engine and professionally refitted Whistle

Hope for his own sake he takes the sensible option or I'll rip him to shreds in court.

Most importantly I didn't get my RRS Censored

Last edited by thisidentifiesme on Mon Mar 02 2015 7:47pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #454408 Mon Mar 02 2015 7:44pm
FatJoe

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black

Side steps trim coming off, quite common. Front grill loose from broken clips, I'd of thought quite common, I bent one of mine recently when cleaning my car.

Was the damage to the inner metal work on the front? Bumper glued on??? Really thats some strong glue holding that on.

Mould near the socket in the boot. I'm sure dampness from roof drains not draining properly is common. Saw that kind of post quite a few times in the last few weeks.

Damage all around the bodywork? Was this scratches? Dents? Or were all the pannels different colours? Surely this was just age related marks being 8 years old and all.

I saw umpteen motors like this with various things you've mentioned. In fact I probably saw a dozen or so and generally you come to expect age related marks etc.

Sometimes you have to come to realise, your buying a 4X4 3 tonne vehicle built to go offroad. I'd never expect a near perfect one at 12.5k Smile

The people who have truly looked after there car will be selling that year with that milleage probably for in excess of 16k. Anything lower don't hold your breath. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #454409 Mon Mar 02 2015 7:45pm
FatJoe

P.S Drivers seat is common for movement. Just found a load of posts on it after a search. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #454410 Mon Mar 02 2015 7:48pm
thisidentifiesme

Aware of the side steps coming off - but he didn't mention it when asked, front grill clips were broken so it was loosely kept in place - again not mentioned, which is my whole point.

The whole NS has seen repair and a bad one at that. It's been bolted and glued but it's not aligned properly and is obvious as it doesn't fit close to the front of the vehicle.

Mould was near the cigarette lighter and under the fridge compartment. Damp boot lid top - vehicle not been used allegedly for six weeks.

Is it known for the whole seat to just pull off with no resistance?

NS all the panels were different to the rest of the vehicle. Dents and little scratches in line with eight years I would have no issue with.

The point isn't the price. It's the open and honest description I am after. Let me know what to expect, don't expect me to travel miles to find it out because you think I won't notice it. If you're honest and I come and see it or agree to buy it so be it, I expected it.

It allegedly hasn't gone off road - Whistle

He started at well over £15k and I watched for a few weeks before making an offer described as perfect bodywork, no dings or damage... And other things as above.

The points you raise are valid, if described honestly, and if I wanted a damage repaired mouldy RRS that's what I would have looked for in the description.

Last edited by thisidentifiesme on Mon Mar 02 2015 8:03pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #454413 Mon Mar 02 2015 7:55pm
thisidentifiesme

Oh and the LED lights removed after agreeing to a sale that were initially included and a struggling air suspension that was "perfect working order".

And photos are not up to date so the bumper and headlamp look perfect as does the alignment. You can prob just about see the NS doors in the photos and the alignment - it's worse in person.

It's still available if you want it. Thumbs Up

Post #454414 Mon Mar 02 2015 7:57pm
FatJoe

Sure, just wanted to let you know, you might see a few of them before seeing a better example one if your budget was around that figure.

Generally if money isn't an issue I think you'll be hard pressed to find a good clean example for corca 12k with milleage under 100k. You might find some better examples with higher milleage. I looked at them all, high millers, low millers. Ended up paying 17k for 56 plate one with 80k on. Had full service history etc, but I've still spent about £1400 because you end up finding things that need tidying up etc. I had mine detailed because I though in the sun the body work swhirl marks we're ruining the look of the car. Had new discs / pads, replaced gearbox switch seal as there was a slight leak, few other little bits the garage did for me.

You'll still find things and spend on things on an 8 year old car no matter how much money you spend or time finding one. Luck of the draw I guess.

Still mines a joy to drive and I have fun in it no matter what Smile

Keep looking, you'll find one but you'll probably have to pay a little more like I did to find the one your happy with. I'm not Fat. RRS TDV6 HST.

Post #454420 Mon Mar 02 2015 8:05pm
thisidentifiesme

I know mate, it's even more of a bargain given the replacement long block with under 4k on it but the damage and his denial of any knowledge of it's extent or what had happened and keenness to sell it nearly £5 odd k where I'd expect it to be rang alarm bells.

My budget is whatever it needs to be for the spec I want, I guess I was trying to take advantage of a bargain Smile

Anyway just a heads up, if someone wants to take it on GL

Post #454422 Mon Mar 02 2015 8:09pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Did you find a RRS vehicle in the end? I hope you have found something you like, as said at the price aiming for, I personally think you are asking for a lot, and will have to spend much more for a semi decent car.

Prices seem to hold quite well to be honest, on the 2012 with the facelift sand 8 speed Auto-box you will be lucky to find a semi decent one under around £37,000. For an additional £3,000 or so if you purchase from a Land Rover approved dealer, you will get a full two year warranty, MOTs free for two years, plus a good spec like HLE Lux model with rear View camera and all the normal extra luxury a.

Post #471770 Wed Sep 02 2015 6:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1